Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2012-11-22, 02:46
Burnet23 Burnet23 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 96
recording booth glass window

hello , building my booth in my new studio, was wondering do anyone know where I can buy a window for it already made n ready to insert in wall of my booth making it possible to view booth to control room and vice versa? like pre fabricated
  #2  
Old 2012-11-22, 12:19
freyelise's Avatar
freyelise freyelise is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 303
You could try the yellow pages..? Under G for glass or W for window.
  #3  
Old 2012-11-22, 12:31
ryszard's Avatar
ryszard ryszard is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 691
There are studio supply houses that MIGHT carry such things. However, they are likely to be quite expensive. Finding one the size you needed could be problematic. Having one custom made would probably be prohibitive.

TAB Books has a book on building a home recording studio on a budget which has detailed instructions for such a window. As I recall it was fairly simple to build and would save you a bundle. The key features were non-parallel double glass panes set in sound-deadening material with an acoustic trap between.

HTH,

Richard
__________________
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Reason 7, BIAB 2013
Intel i5 2500K 3.3 Ghz, Gigabyte ZX77X-UD3H, 16 Gb Corsair DDR3 RAM
OCZ 60 Gb SSD, WD 1 Tb Caviar Black 7,200 RPM HD
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA
  #4  
Old 2012-11-22, 12:34
normen's Avatar
normen normen is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,513
Note that the real ones are usually filled with a gas to further enhance the insulation properties of the construction.
__________________
Plugin latency issues? Phasing on parallel channels? Want to know the real latency of your audio interface? Try the VMG-01!
Professional Audio Engineer at Theater Bremen, Germany • Part Time Programmer
  #5  
Old 2012-11-22, 13:49
tincture's Avatar
tincture tincture is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
Note that the real ones are usually filled with a gas to further enhance the insulation properties of the construction.
I would have thought that sucking out any gases between the glass panes to create a vacuum would give better sound isolation?
__________________
Zac Scott
http://soundcloud.com/tincture-1
Loading SoundCloud…
Synth Rock
  #6  
Old 2012-11-22, 16:27
normen's Avatar
normen normen is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincture View Post
I would have thought that sucking out any gases between the glass panes to create a vacuum would give better sound isolation?
Not really , I guess the coupling of the two surfaces only gets stronger through the suction? I'm no building material expert but I didn't hear of ones with a vacuum yet.
__________________
Plugin latency issues? Phasing on parallel channels? Want to know the real latency of your audio interface? Try the VMG-01!
Professional Audio Engineer at Theater Bremen, Germany • Part Time Programmer
  #7  
Old 2012-11-22, 16:39
tincture's Avatar
tincture tincture is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
Not really , I guess the coupling of the two surfaces only gets stronger through the suction? I'm no building material expert but I didn't hear of ones with a vacuum yet.
The vacuum would reduce the coupling between the two panes. Any coupling is passed through the intermediate material, i.e. the gas molecules. Remove the gas and you should reduce the coupling/transmission between them. I guess it might be a safety risk anyway having the a vacuum between the panes. I'm just curious what effect changing the air between the panes to another gas would do? Very little as far as I can tell.
__________________
Zac Scott
http://soundcloud.com/tincture-1
Loading SoundCloud…
Synth Rock
  #8  
Old 2012-11-22, 17:24
normen's Avatar
normen normen is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincture View Post
The vacuum would reduce the coupling between the two panes. Any coupling is passed through the intermediate material, i.e. the gas molecules. Remove the gas and you should reduce the coupling/transmission between them. I guess it might be a safety risk anyway having the a vacuum between the panes. I'm just curious what effect changing the air between the panes to another gas would do? Very little as far as I can tell.
Its not very little what argon does, else people wouldn't spend the time and money on it ^^
http://www.soundproofing-windows.net...ter-insulation

Yeah, I just thought that in practice if one of the windows starts to vibrate it would make the other go along through the suction but it doesn't seem so.

Heres some manufacturer that does vacuum-double-windows: http://www.bine.info/fileadmin/conte..._internetx.pdf

It looks like they are in the same range as the argon filled ones.. And the argon ones don't implode
__________________
Plugin latency issues? Phasing on parallel channels? Want to know the real latency of your audio interface? Try the VMG-01!
Professional Audio Engineer at Theater Bremen, Germany • Part Time Programmer
  #9  
Old 2012-11-22, 17:34
tincture's Avatar
tincture tincture is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
Its not very little what argon does, else people wouldn't spend the time and money on it ^^
http://www.soundproofing-windows.net...ter-insulation

Yeah, I just thought that in practice if one of the windows starts to vibrate it would make the other go along through the suction but it doesn't seem so.

Heres some manufacturer that does vacuum-double-windows: http://www.bine.info/fileadmin/conte..._internetx.pdf

It looks like they are in the same range as the argon filled ones.. And the argon ones don't implode
Argon, interesting. I guess it's down to the heat capacity of the gas. Just went and checked and the heat capacity of Argon is half that of air so that seems likely. I guess because its monoatomic so it can't vibrate in as many modes as diatomic nitrogen and oxygen. So yes, you're right it seems it can help. I live and learn
__________________
Zac Scott
http://soundcloud.com/tincture-1
Loading SoundCloud…
Synth Rock
  #10  
Old 2012-11-22, 17:44
sagana33's Avatar
sagana33 sagana33 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 110
Having built several sound studios, I would say that a window is a luxury that you shouldn't even contemplate, unless you quite proficient in the art.

It's hard enough to get a small space to be _really_ soundproof. The idea that you can add a window without causing sound to leak in is... well, let's say, brave. At best.

Now if you manage to prove me wrong I'll be delighted!
Let us know what the results are.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reason 2.0 multi windowing. DaftKraft General Forum (read only) 17 2002-08-01 19:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:36.