Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-19, 05:57

Lightbulb video in Reason

Okay. I have seen this request before and never understood why. Now I do.
I am about to start writing a score for an indy film and seriously wish I could pull it into Reason and write music along with it. That way I don't have to watch a scene, get a feel for it, get in Reason, write some music, close Reason to go back to the film, and repeat constantly. I mean, I guess I could watch it on my TV and play/pause, but now I agree 100% with this request. It would make life easier for musicians working on films.

https://soundcloud.com/last-alternative
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com/
Old 2012-11-19, 10:06

honestly I don't think this should be a priority. not for the moment anyway. there are a ton of things that need to be addressed with the sequencer, and general workflow of the program, before the idea of adding video is even entertained.

and I know this would make Reason much better for people working with film, but in all honesty that is not the Reason market. if your main priority is scoring films, or doing audio-post, then Pro Tools should be the tool you're going for.
Old 2012-11-19, 18:57

It will happen eventually if the Props want to expand their customer base. I can wait... Pro Tools is not my thing. I mostly write rock and electronic so it's no big deal. This film composing is just a side project.

https://soundcloud.com/last-alternative
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com/
Old 2012-11-21, 15:15

I too create music and sound effects for TV commercials and it would be great if there was a video window as a reference to use as I'm playing my audio tracks back. Right now, I do it in little bits and pieces and import the audio back into Final Cut Pro X and piece them together there which at times can be frustrating because I have to keep going back and forth to make sure everything is lined up properly.
Old 2012-11-22, 13:24

Hi beerski.
I've done something similar in the past but my sequencer at the time was Cubase.
This had (like Logic) an video windows so you could edit to the videosequence.
Can't you ReWire Reason to FinalCut? It's the closest you can do at the moment and use alt-tab to switch back and forth between the programs instead.

Kind regards
Marc
Old 2012-11-22, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerski View Post
I am about to start writing a score for an indy film and seriously wish I could pull it into Reason and write music along with it. That way I don't have to watch a scene, get a feel for it, get in Reason, write some music, close Reason to go back to the film, and repeat constantly. I mean, I guess I could watch it on my TV and play/pause, but now I agree 100% with this request. It would make life easier for musicians working on films.
I haven't used this much, and I realize it'd be best in the long run to have this integrated into Reason itself, but this might help you:

http://www.retouchcontrol.com/site_page.aspx?pageid=46
Old 2012-11-22, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerski View Post
You're not the first and won't be the last to feel this.

A lot of features in Reason 6.5 and 6 (well, Record 1.x+Reason 5) seeded endless debates between those that "didn't get it" and those that did
Video track(s) is just another one of those things that we need to keep waiting for... in this case, time is always on this feature side, because of Moore's Law