Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-23, 03:52

Drum Synths

Are we going to see any drum synth Rack Extensions?
Old 2012-11-23, 03:56

are u not happy at all with KONG????
Old 2012-11-23, 04:11

Rob Papen's Predator and Synapses ANTIDOTE can both simulate drums and percussion
Old 2012-11-23, 08:22

I never really liked using drum synths, I never even use Kong, I use redrum with samples, or in combination with DR rex and top loops etc. The best results I get with Audio loops or even single samples of Kicks I'd copy and paste as audio clips - join them etc... somehow you get the best quality sound.
Old 2012-11-23, 09:38

Novation Drumstation please
Jomox MBase and Jomox X-Base also
Old 2012-11-23, 12:11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel11 View Post
I never really liked using drum synths, I never even use Kong, I use redrum with samples, or in combination with DR rex and top loops etc. The best results I get with Audio loops or even single samples of Kicks I'd copy and paste as audio clips - join them etc... somehow you get the best quality sound.
Top loops, ha? You think they've made from what exactly?

Audio Loops & One-Shots (if they're not acoustic ones) are made from synths, so you just tricking yourself!

Anyway source is always synth!
Old 2012-11-23, 12:46

808 Kick style....

1: Use any synth

2: Mod env routed to pitch

3: Mod ADSR: A = 0, D = to taste (higher = longer pitch from upper freq to note root), S = 0, R = 127

4: Mod Env Amount dial to taste (higher settings would cause higher pitch start off)

5: Amp ADSR:
A = to taste (0 = click start, no higher than 10 else fades in),
D = to taste (higher = longer transient, lower = shorter),
S = 0 (or higher, to help possibly with shaping, optional),
R = to taste (sets tail of kick)

6: Osc set to sine (if using an osc with high freq content then add a low pass filter)

7: Polyphony to 1

8: optional: key tracking off (so always hit same note no matter what key you press) - you can play around with this until you find the right pitch you want

9: Trigger your note in a loop on sequencer, tweak above settings to get a basic drum sound. Save presets out so you have a bank of them at your disposal

You could bounce out samples so you can then reload into Redrum / NNXT / NN19 / Kong, you could also create signal chains of effects (distortion, bit crush, transient shape thru Kong, resonate thru Kong etc)

You could add noise to create a snare sound, or high hats etc, percussion is done in quite similar ways.

another idea... found sounds.... smack a plastic bucket while sampling, your own drum no issues, chop, whack in a Redrum, all good
Old 2012-11-23, 15:18

Talking Would Also love to see a drum synth RE

I wrote a quick message to the makers of AudioSpillage http://www.audiospillage.com/ They make a few plugins for Mac OSX. The freeware option is MiniSpillage, which allows you to formulate kick, hi-hat, and wood sounds. The algorithms are fairly in-depth. The sounds can be exported from your AudioUnit suporting host (i.e. Logic or GarageBand).

I might spring for the most extensive of these plugins, as I also love to generate my own sounds. The guy at AudioSpillage said he had received other requests for the RE, but might not get to it for a while, if at all! Jst a thought for those of you on Mac.
Old 2012-11-23, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Top loops, ha? You think they've made from what exactly?

Audio Loops & One-Shots (if they're not acoustic ones) are made from synths, so you just tricking yourself!

Anyway source is always synth!
Hey I get what you are saying, but regardless if the original source is synth, they are still audio in present form.
I also use "top loops" as audio loops, much better quality and most of time already processed.
I must admit, drums are usually not my strong point, so I usually like sample based stuff and or audio.
I figured out that's why you have people like: Vengeance, Myloops, Prime loops etc... they make top quality ready to use sounds
Old 2012-11-23, 23:06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel11 View Post
Hey I get what you are saying, but regardless if the original source is synth, they are still audio in present form.
I also use "top loops" as audio loops, much better quality and most of time already processed.
I must admit, drums are usually not my strong point, so I usually like sample based stuff and or audio.
I figured out that's why you have people like: Vengeance, Myloops, Prime loops etc... they make top quality ready to use sounds
Yep, concur!

I love the Vengeance & Loopmasters!