Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-23, 04:35

Cd-r

I burned a cd-r with CD Architect and played in my car and it has low volume, static, distortation, etc... but the same disc plays perfectly on iTunes in my computer. I'm assuming my car CD player is not compatible with this brand of CD-R? Anyone know anything about this and would I be safe to use this copy as a master for a duplication company?
Old 2012-11-23, 06:40

Since nobody can personally inspect your car's player, your computer drive, or your original master files, it's hard to pinpoint what the exact problem may be. Also, what kind of distortion you're getting might depend on the problem.

However:

1) I personally have had issues with some older CD players not properly reading newer CD-Rs. It depends on the player, and sometimes the type of CD-R you use. Try finding other players to test your disc with.

2) I have seen some players introduce a static-like noise into the sound if they have trouble reading the discs. Again, this depends on the player.

3) Some CD burners may produce error-prone CDs if they are run too fast. One thing you might try is to not burn a disc at full-speed. If the disc says "40X", for instance, try burning it at 20X or even 10X speed. It may take longer but there's less chance of error that way.

4) Assuming that the sound files you use to make the CD-R are properly mastered and not clipping, there should be no problem sending the CD-R to a mastering plant, as long as their CD readers are reasonably new. They're probably just going to rip the data to their own machines, anyway. If you are still concerned, investigate whether you can upload a disc image to them over the Internet.

Old 2012-11-23, 17:48

Thanks I'll try your suggestion at burning at a lower speed. I've got a 2009 Lancer but the CD-Rs I'm using are pretty old, maybe 10 years I don't know really.
Old 2012-11-23, 18:26

This is a pretty good article on the subject: http://www.srtl.co.uk/srtl/report.html

I used to have a CD duplication business, and learned a few things from experience...

Not all CD-R media are the same quality - generally, the less expensive brands are lower quality.

Look for CD-R that say they are for audio.

Burn/write at the lowest rate your patience will allow (i.e. 8x and lower - the article actually recommends 1x and no more than 6x).

I found that the disks with silver (as opposed to blue or green) burn surface yield the best results, although there's not a general consensus on that.

I used Ritek Silver disks which I found to be the least expensive of the high quality disks - anything less expensive than these resulted in a high error rate.

At the time I paid $0.25 per disk when bought in lots of 600. Now they appear to be selling for $0.18 each in lots of 100.

I haven't really price shopped CD's for a couple of years, but it used to be that the disks with higher burn rates cost more. Since it is recommended that you burn at lower speeds for audio, there's no point in getting the fast burn speeds, you can go for disks rated as low as 16x.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-11-25, 03:44

Thanks, I think I'll buy some of those Ritek Silve disks. I was using Phillips CD-R80.
Old 2012-11-25, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis View Post
Thanks, I think I'll buy some of those Ritek Silve disks. I was using Phillips CD-R80.
I hope they work for you. I haven't bought any in a few years - I'm still using the batch from years ago - I have about 200 left I hope they are still same quality.

nice thing about the silver too is that the burn surface looks like a manufactured CD, as opposed to looking like a burned one...the only branding they have is on the clear plastic near the hub/hole - the non-burn surface is totally clean - which is nice if you have a thermal printer (like: http://www.amazon.com/Primera-Signat.../dp/B0002SQ2IY)

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-11-25, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
nice thing about the silver too is that the burn surface looks like a manufactured CD,
That's one thing about CD-Rs, the way they've changed. I remember the first one I ever saw - I had to have a cassette master turned into something a vinyl pressing plant could use, so I found some transfer shop to put it on CD. Cost a small fortune, and the disc was deep gold on the label side and a deep dark green on the burn surface. When I finally got my first computer burner, blank discs had a deep blue burn side. Now your eyes have to be pretty sharp to tell the difference.

Old 2013-03-15, 14:14

Anybody experience with archival high quality cd-r's to burn my master on to send to the pressing plant? I normally just go with a simple cd-r but I've read that you better get some high quality cd-r.

I might go with:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/pdo_green_t...tering_cdr.htm

or

http://www.thomann.de/nl/hhb_cdr74_gold.htm

Maybe some tips?

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-03-15, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
Burn/write at the lowest rate your patience will allow (i.e. 8x and lower - the article actually recommends 1x and no more than 6x).
When I was buying parts for my new computer and looking at optical drives, the slowest one I could find only went down to 16x(!)
Old 2013-03-15, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis View Post
I burned a cd-r with CD Architect and played in my car and it has low volume, static, distortation, etc... but the same disc plays perfectly on iTunes in my computer. I'm assuming my car CD player is not compatible with this brand of CD-R? Anyone know anything about this and would I be safe to use this copy as a master for a duplication company?
There are differences in the quality of CD-Rs. Not necessarily sound quality differences but differences in the ability of a wide variety of players to be able to detect them.

Might want to try specifically using a CDR that is designed for Music (or just try a different brand).

Also, Consider buying a CD player cleaning disc.

Also, for Mastering you are probably better off sending a 24 bit 44.1 khz data file such as Wav or Aiff.

You could send this a variety of ways, CDR data disc, hard drive, jump drive, some type of cloud delivery system such as Skydrive etc. I have been sending a lot of files over the internet lately using cloud services.