Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-22, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
Btw, Reason as ReWire host automatically makes it a studio master (thats the whole point of ReWire) and Reason is not equipped for that. One would have to at least add one new Channel type, MIDI channels. Where do you assign the ReWire slaves channels to these? How do you assign MIDI outputs? Who wants to use Reasons piano roll to edit MIDI over any other app anyway? Also it would for the first time allow other applications to sync to Reason. Hows that not being a master?
Sorry, I meant it wouldn't be a STUDIO master, but of course it would be a ReWire master in that particular installment. You know, Live CAN be a ReWire host BUT it is not usually viewed as a Studio master at all. As for Reason not being equipped for that, I think this is the whole point of the feature suggestion suggestion, innit? Reason was not equipped for audio recording either, it had zero audio tracks, but they implemented what was needed for that, didn't they? As I have said, I see nothing illogical in it and I gave an example in my previous post, however it is not a feature I NEED or care much about to be honest.
Old 2012-11-22, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
I think everybody knows that AU/VST is not coming to Reason, as stated by Propellerhead themselves countless times since Reason v.1. The OP is asking for ReWire host capabilities for Reason. This means that instead of using Reason INSIDE another DAW, I could bring that DAW inside Reason. Now, controlling an Ableton Live session with Reason and recording its output within Reason too could be interesting. No bouncing, importing, etc.
this is exactly what I'm talking about. this allows for a much smoother workflow and with the advent of Record, and then Record just being merged with Reason making it a Rewire host is something Props need to seriously consider.
Old 2012-11-22, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJserenade View Post
this is exactly what I'm talking about. this allows for a much smoother workflow and with the advent of Record, and then Record just being merged with Reason making it a Rewire host is something Props need to seriously consider.
True, but as nhansen says here, there are lots of things to be done first so it can be properly implemented. I am just not as optimistic about it happening as him. I'm not so sure it will eventually happen even if it'd be a logical step for them, imho.

Quote:
I think it will but theres a lot of other things Reason has to improve first before it can become a real studio MASTER.
The irony in it all is that Reason is already a ReWire Master... for ReBirth. The connection between Reason and ReBirth is made through ReWire.
Old 2012-11-22, 21:13

I believe that people that wants Reason to be able to be a Rewire-host, like me, don't necesarily want to control the other DAWs from Reason. They only want to route the audio from the other DAWs into the Reason rack, to be able to master their projects in the Reason mixer. -The same way that we can route the Rebirth-outputs through the Rebirth input machine. That's why i hope Propellerheads will update the "Rebirth Input Machine", and make it the "Rewire Input Machine".
The reason people usually use other DAWs is for their apparent strengths in various areas, like live-performance in Ableton, control and workflow in Renoise, midi/VST and sequencing in Logic/Cubase/Reaper/S-1.

I'm also hoping the Props will update the Rewire protocol, making it Bi-directional. That would allow us to route audio from Reason into another DAW for external processing, and back into Reason for mastering.
Old 2012-11-22, 21:25

Quote:
True, but as nhansen says here, there are lots of things to be done first so it can be properly implemented. I am just not as optimistic about it happening as him. I'm not so sure it will eventually happen even if it'd be a logical step for them, imho.

The irony in it all is that Reason is already a ReWire Master... for ReBirth. The connection between Reason and ReBirth is made through ReWire.
I don't think its irony, its consistency in thought If they put in ReWire hosting somebody will "abuse" it to sync other things to the sequencer, come here and bitch about why the props "can't even support their own standard" I literally see the post in front of me already
Old 2012-11-22, 21:31

Quote:
I don't think its irony, its consistency in thought If they put in ReWire hosting somebody will "abuse" it to sync other things to the sequencer, come here and bitch about why the props "can't even support their own standard" I literally see the post in front of me already
Actually, what I mean is that this feature is already there, well, sort of, and it's been so all along, since R1. As for the rest of your post, you lost me in the bit about "abusing" it, but it's been a long day for me and I'm effing tired. Can we suggest they implement foot massage in Reason 7?
Old 2012-11-22, 21:33

Quote:
And it has had this feature since Reason 1.0 afaik.
Old 2012-11-22, 21:36

Quote:
Actually, what I mean is that this feature is already there, well, sort of, and it's been so all along, since R1.
Doh... "great minds..." and all that.. You beat me to it!
Old 2012-11-23, 01:13

And while they are at it, how about Recycle getting Rewire slave mode, so we can open a file for slicing and leave it right in the Reason mixer.

Prolly not gonna happen, but its funny how pros develop these technologies, the. are the last to actually implement them.
Old 2012-11-23, 18:07

Wink mixer??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip View Post
i own vsts and i own several daws and reason as well. re is good for what it does i personally hate a ton of pop up windows especially when im working its take no less 1minute for me to setup rewire which i find myself using less and less. i dont work for propellerhead but i understand the vision that have for there product. its the only daw thats out to me that i feel like im using hardware with the way the rack is setup and i find myself learning new tricks. are there feature i would love to see in reason. yes but vsts in not one of them so far. re for me are a wonderful tool and great expansions for my workflow. right now re is new like i state before in less than 6 months we have 50 re's available. now of course most of us want more instruments. i have enough effects right now to get the job done. i have tons of sounds as well. i would like props to focus on the mixer and sequencer a little bit more. and think they will. oh yeah i also want midi out lol.
Let me say that the mixer is PERFECT as is, they got it right the first time! (except for not being able to group tracks without creating other devices) As I hope you know, there is no other DAW that contains an actual "mixer". Yes Reason was made for musicians and the mixer may have a bit of a learning curve but I think the people who don't like it need to do some research on what they have and what the mixer is capable of. I am a professional Audio Engineer and as such, I work with the real physical version of this console 3-4 times a month, among other version of SSL consoles. So dude...please quit raining on our REWire parade... when it comes out.... just don't use it.... simple as that.