Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-24, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
Heh, we've got that Morfin XF RE now, that's probably the best thing to use, in Linear mode. With that at least you can take volume down to 0%, pretty sure MComp can't.
Are you building a 'fade to zero' device or a 'tweak all levels by a specific decibel' device? :-)

A 'fade to zero' on all drum tracks would be easier with a Mix Channel and sub-mix routing (which I would already have setup anyway). Fading the individual tracks will cause them to hit any compression devices differently as they fade. Now I'm confused about how this device is intended to be used, so forgive my questions comments if they seem out of context! :-)
USA

Last edited by selig; 2012-11-24 at 17:53.
Old 2012-11-24, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Are you building a 'fade to zero' device or a 'tweak all levels by a specific decibel' device? :-)

A 'fade to zero' on all drum tracks would be easier with a Mix Channel and sub-mix routing (which I would already have setup anyway). Fading the individual tracks will cause them to hit any compression devices differently as they fade. Now I'm confused about how this device is intended to be used, so forgive my questions comments if they seem out of context! :-)
That's a good point you bring up. If it's supposed to be a "fade to zero" thing then he should connect the combinated "faders" to the end of insert FX chains, right?

Otherwise the faders will mess with dynamics and insert fx.
Old 2012-11-24, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
That's a good point you bring up. If it's supposed to be a "fade to zero" thing then he should connect the combinated "faders" to the end of insert FX chains, right?

Otherwise the faders will mess with dynamics and insert fx.
If you group the actual faders, like EditEd's method, you get the expected results of actually controlling the faders. If you put a device on the inserts, you are fading at a different point in the signal path, which is before the sends. When sends are used "post fader" as they most often are, you will get a similar effect. But any 'pre fader' sends will be 'broken' by this, as they will no longer be 'pre' fader.

My main use for this would be to bring a bunch of tracks down by a specific dB amount, usually no more than 6 dB max. This isn't possible with your current setup, and that's why I suggested a device that allows tweaking levels by dB. And why I didn't need more than 12-24 dB of gain adjustment (24 dB using both the input and output controls on the MComp).

It really depends on what you're wanting to use this for, but it's a very clever solution non the less. :-)
USA
Old 2012-11-24, 18:26

Quote:
Fading the individual tracks will cause them to hit any compression devices differently as they fade.
That's true. As the volume of an individual track was lowered, it would engage the SSL compressors less. This would restore track dynamics as the volume went down. This could be a bad thing or a good thing.

If the Props ever get group fading built into the SSL, it would be nice to have a choice between pre-mixer fading and post-mixer fading.
Reason 7; 27" iMac; Akai MPK88; Konnekt6; Amplitube; Miroslav Gold; Fender Strat, Tele, Jazz Bass, Blues Jr III, SCXD; Spector Bass; Agile Les Paul; Ergo Bass; Zero-G Total Rex; Trident A-Range; RE-2A; Vermilion; Creme; Revival; Futurator; Glitch; Logic Studio 9; Reaktor 5.8.
Old 2012-11-24, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrichards View Post
That's true. As the volume of an individual track was lowered, it would engage the SSL compressors less. This would restore track dynamics as the volume went down. This could be a bad thing or a good thing.

If the Props ever get group fading built into the SSL, it would be nice to have a choice between pre-mixer fading and post-mixer fading.
IMO all you need is 'fader' grouping. Have never had a need for anything more when using programs with this feature. What use cases to you see for this suggestion?

The problem with changing a bunch of compressors settings after carefully setting them is that it's VERY time consuming when done correctly. Better to just not change things in the first place IMO. :-)
USA
Old 2012-11-24, 20:35

Quote:
IMO all you need is 'fader' grouping. Have never had a need for anything more when using programs with this feature. What use cases to you see for this suggestion?
All I need is fader grouping too. The pre-mixer rack fader I'm playing around with is just a work-around until the real one comes along. I've been trying it in songs and it works pretty well for now, like for taking a bank of synths down together. If I had group fading in the SSL, I'd be a happy camper.
Reason 7; 27" iMac; Akai MPK88; Konnekt6; Amplitube; Miroslav Gold; Fender Strat, Tele, Jazz Bass, Blues Jr III, SCXD; Spector Bass; Agile Les Paul; Ergo Bass; Zero-G Total Rex; Trident A-Range; RE-2A; Vermilion; Creme; Revival; Futurator; Glitch; Logic Studio 9; Reaktor 5.8.