Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-25, 22:34
masziks

Using audio interfaces with Reason 5

I have a burning questions about using USB Audio Interfaces with Reason 5, as I am planning to get one for myself this Christmas.

When using an audio interface, can each input (I'm considering an 8-Input Mixer/Audio Interface) be assigned to a diffrent channel in the Reason Mixer? I'd like to be able to put different distortions or effects on different guitars, using aux levels, or ideally; connect each input of the mixer to a different combinator for more freedom and multiple VSTs.

Also; does anyone have a mixer/interface that they recommend for use with Reason? Balance looks incredible, but is out of my price range, and doesn't have an ideal amount of inputs. I'm looking for at least 6 line inputs.

Thanks!
Old 2012-11-26, 00:47

While we are here, anyone using the Akai APC40 with Reason?
(Has there already been a thread about this?)

Thanks
Old 2012-11-27, 10:38

firstly you can't just connect each input on the mixer as this will not interact wiht reason at all. your mixer must be conncet to a soud card first and all your guitars and keyboards from the sound card or to the mixer. then you will need to change the audio preferences to your sound card
Old 2012-11-27, 12:06

Reason 5? You do know that you cannot record audio in reason 5, are you talking about reason 6? To be honest for an audio interface with 6 inputs it's going to cost you atleast around the same price as the balance interface.
Old 2012-11-27, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagana33 View Post
While we are here, anyone using the Akai APC40 with Reason?
(Has there already been a thread about this?)

Thanks
Sagana, you can use the search function of the forums to search for other threads related to your issue:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/search.php
Old 2012-11-27, 12:20

well he can still do sampling on red-drum for example
Old 2012-11-27, 14:37

He can do sampling but spending a couple of hundred on an audio interface and only using it for sampling would be a waste of money and a waste of the hardware, I can only recommend upgrading to reason 6 first, then maybe you want to look for an audio interface with 4-6 inputs and a basic midi controller to control the mixer, it doesn't sound like OP has a flexible budget for this so it's all I can really recommend.