Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-27, 20:34

Personally I would wait until a label wants to release your song or an artist wants to record over it (not sure your situation) and then let the label handle mastering. At the end of the day if your track gets released they'd probably ask for your unmastered stems anyway and have the label mix/master it. Personally I go so far as the Master Bus Compressor and possibly some Mastering EQ and rarely a Maximizer. I feel like you mastering job isn't going to be the make or break as to whether a label or artists decides to use your song....if the content is good then it will show. As they say, "you can't polish a turd" lol.
Old 2012-11-27, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb123 View Post
Interesting replies - thanks all. Yeah I guess that's what I would generally expect. And I agree generally.

BTW, the set of songs I am working on is pretty much intended as a 'demo' initially but also ultimately of releasable quality (though not really intended for vinyl). I'm ultimately aiming higher than just to be 'appropriate' for soundcloud. I'm looking for quality enough to send to some in the biz that I have an 'in' with etc (at the basic end) but also to be able to release professionally (at the higher end).

I guess I was talking about whether I realistically could/should expect a good mastering job from an online service of this kind and cost. Specifically in the more tricky areas (or tricky for me anyway) of compression/limiting, eq and any kind of post considerations like dither. I realize Reason has it's mastering suite and we have other tools for this and for exporting etc. While I do enjoy learning/experimenting with them I'd would like to think that when push comes to shove a professional can achieve better results than I can. I guess it's subjective and depends on experience etc - was just looking for opinions on that front.

Will check out that link you posted joeyluck.

Thanks!

A lot depends on the quality of the engineer. The main thing I noticed is that my track sounded louder and the bass seemed to be relatively balanced. Mostly everything else sounded about the same as my mix.

IMO, you will probably learn more going to a mixing engineer than a mastering engineer. It is important to sit in on a mixing session though since, a mixing engineer will be able to make more drastic changes to your song and thus more able to drastically change the original intention of your song.

Mixing engineers are more expensive though (anywhere from $25-$100 an hour, and a mix will probably take 2 to 4 hours depending on complexity), but they will ultimately make a bigger difference on the final outcome quality of your song.

Mixing engineers can do a lot though (depending on their skill level and available tools/gear), from using outboard vintage gear, replacing/tuning drum sounds, even making alternate arrangement edits (such as drops, stutters, tape stop effects, reverse effects).

A good mixing engineer (who has an ear for your style of music) can sometimes advise you on your choice of drum samples or tunings or bass sounds. I find that that helps out a lot.
Old 2012-11-27, 20:58

Quote:
I guess I was talking about whether I realistically could/should expect a good mastering job from an online service of this kind and cost. Specifically in the more tricky areas (or tricky for me anyway) of compression/limiting, eq and any kind of post considerations like dither. I realize Reason has it's mastering suite and we have other tools for this and for exporting etc. While I do enjoy learning/experimenting with them I'd would like to think that when push comes to shove a professional can achieve better results than I can. I guess it's subjective and depends on experience etc - was just looking for opinions on that front.
Lets put it this way, a mastering or mixing studio will/should view anyone paying as proper and valued client. So in that perspective you cannot go wrong... if the studio is serious in its business approach that is. The rate you suggested looks very good in my opinion, I have seen much higher rates frequently. That can be a good thing (maybe because the studio tries to establish itself and therefore gives early discount rates etc.) or maybe the rate reflects the product, than it might be a nit so good thing. My opinion is (for what its worth) go and check it out by all means. Even if you don't see how it is done, you'll learn what your tune should sound like in the ears of a professional. Can be very educational
Old 2012-11-28, 00:46

Seems interesting, but these guys are a dime a dozen now-a-days and honestly none of these guys will put a wholoe of time on your tracks. If you want that attention you will have to pay a lot more. That being said, the best way for you to get a solid product is to deliver a solid mix. I know it sounds obvious but ask any masteing engineer out there and tey will all tell you the same thing. The amounnt of work needed on the the master depends on the quality of the mix. Fact is, it is not uncommon to have good mastering engineers send back source material who's mix is to bad to master.

If this is your first master, I would really advise for you to be in the room with a pen and pad taking notes. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! For the first couple of sessions you WANT TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM!

Once you feel comfortable with the gain stage and mix levels that you and your mastering engineering agree on, it will be very easy for you to just pump out mixes and sound them to the cloud to be mastered (with stellar results).

Initially though, you want to take it slow absorbing as much information as you can as it will be saving you tons of money in the future
Old 2013-04-02, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
Looked at the site, im not really sure what to say. There are many offering mastering services. I like doing it myself
While I know of a lot of people who are doing the mastering themselves, we really believe that it is extremely beneficial for your mix if you have an external pair of ears master your track. This is because you become accustomed to the various elements in your track and after a while certain things that are off might start to sound normal or acceptable. Also proper Mastering requires a lot of time and attention to be effective and it is not simply a matter of making the track louder. We believe that as a producer, this time could be better spent producing more music.

So in our opinion mastering should really be done by a third-party. There are many online mastering services out there however we recommend http://phatmastering.com as a reliable service that will get the job done without breaking the bank. They will also master your first track for free so I suggest you try them out and see exactly why we recommend having someone other than yourself master your music
Old 2013-10-10, 18:38

Success with mastering services

Quote:
Hey all

http://petemaher.com/services/4556628330

I came across this recently. A mastering engineer with some pretty impressive credentials is offering online mastering services. I'm not sure if its worthwhile but definitely interested. In a recent interview he sounds like he has worked for big artists and has the skills. He says its more than just pushing buttons on the latest mastering software (which of course it is). Could an artist expect a decent amount of attention for his/her masters?

Any thoughts, good or bad, on this is appreciated reason heads!

Thanks!
I've had really good success with www.MercuryMastering.com. Seems like thats where everyone goes. Super easy to work with. Sounds freaking amazing! I've sent my stuff to them for years...
Old 2013-10-11, 00:27

I did a remix recently that I had professionally mastered more out of interest and as an experiment to see what difference it made.

This first version, if I recall correctly, had just a little bit of master bus compression applied and nothing else ...

Loading SoundCloud…

The second version was sent away for mastering. The guy also did a mix review and suggested a few EQ tweaks so the track went through a further couple of revisions ...

Loading SoundCloud…

There is a distinct difference between the two but whether you think the mastering has actually added any 'value' to the track is entirely subjective I guess.

I used this guy ... http://redmastering.co.uk/ ... and he has many before/after audio examples on the website to listen to if you want more examples of what can be achieved.