Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-30, 17:48

OT Rant. Music isn't MP3s.

I have to rant. Sorry. For all your music producers still working with MP3s, sharing MP3s, etc. Forget being considered quality.

As some of you know I'm music supervisor on a tv show and 3 of the 4 artists that the producers liked and contacted before I came on board sent me their music...for HDTV as MP3. How bad would I make the show sound if I upsampled a bunch of compressed MP3s up to 48Khz 24bit audio? I'd get laughed out of LA.

So, note to you from me personally. If MP3s work for you to share with friends or for users to purchase for their devices. That's great. I have no issue with that. But do understand the limitations of the use of your music if you only work at low data rates.

Once it all gets mixed together you'd be surprised the noise that comes out of those compressed files.

ok, it wasn't a rant....it was more of a Firm Tip O The Day. ))))

I'm getting great artists submit their stuff and I have to tell them it sounds like crap digitally speaking. It hurts my soul. Consider your art worthy of more potential and then others will too. I'm now limited because of the lack of knowledge by the artists (and their reps which is the surprising part).

I'm not saying you all have to work at 96kHz 24bit audio. But at least be ready to export cd-quality at a minimum.

I say this with love for the music everyone is doing. I love it. I can't use it.
Old 2012-11-30, 19:13

+1

We need a revolution.
Old 2012-11-30, 19:47

LOL I'm in total agreement here, especially for video work. MP3 to be used in an HD broadcast? Really? ~_~

Even speaking as a consumer, I try to buy lossless music whenever possible (and not overpriced. e.g. beatport charges $1 PER TRACK for WAV or AIFF).

Last edited by monkeygra; 2012-11-30 at 20:07.
Old 2012-11-30, 20:33

Most digitized music gives me ear fatigue after a short while. MP3s are definitely the worst of the bunch.
Old 2012-11-30, 21:05

So if Dubstep isn't music and music isn't MP3s. Then... Dubstep isn't MP3s.

Glad I could clear that up.
Old 2012-11-30, 21:09

hahaha thanks for your support. Great logic there esperdiv. I'm guessing that's in reference to the other thread. Funny!!

I've asked each (yes I've taken my own time to personally write these artists) to send me WAV or AIF full quality. One guy sent me links to 'Reverbnation' and 'Youtube' and to 'Have a look around.'

I'm not a babysitter. I'm trying to give you the chance to have your music heard and all you have to do is send me a WAV or AIF? C'mon. I'm not here to look around some sites, pick some songs, contact artists, and then start the whole 'getting the real quality song version' again.

Help yourself new artists!

I seriously need a drink.

This ain't a music thread. It's a drinkin' thread!
Old 2012-11-30, 21:21

Storm - Is 24/48 “the standard” for TV as well? I’ve seen EditEd and others post that it is for video and I hadn’t thought about: is video => TV? I’ve been thinking of “video” use as being soundtrack for locally made weddings and stuff. I’m a 16/44.1 kinda guy but I’m going to switch to 24/44.1 unless 48 is a necessity for TV.

BTW, how’s your hockey stick these days?
Old 2012-11-30, 21:51

Let's rename this thread. Instead of "Music isn't mp3", let's call it "mp3 isn't Dubstep."
Er... sorry, meant, "mp3 isn't music."

That'll be more inflammatory.
Old 2012-11-30, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperdiv View Post
So if Dubstep isn't music and music isn't MP3s. Then... Dubstep isn't MP3s.

Glad I could clear that up.
Actually, if dubstep and mp3s both aren't music, that would mean that mp3s are dubstep, or at least could be.
Old 2012-11-30, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunesis View Post
Actually, if dubstep and mp3s both aren't music, that would mean that mp3s are dubstep, or at least could be.
Sausages could also be music since they are neither MP3s nor dubstep.

Music to my tummy.