Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-01, 14:13

MP3 at 256kBit is fine as a final distribution format. Before you lie to yourself about the "quality", grab an ABX testing app from the web and test yourself. I doubt anyone here can tell a 256kBit mp3 apart just by ear, maybe with certain test tones.
Old 2012-12-01, 15:13

That's why i let erverything be cut on vinyl. Infinite sampling rate, infinite bit depth
Old 2012-12-01, 16:08

Music isnt mp3s, dubstep isnt music and I cant believe its not butter!

Old 2012-12-01, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCanada View Post
Disagreeing is allowed and that's great that you get MP3s submitted. AS I said earlier if that works for you then no issues. However, I'm not, in this case, the artist trying to get my music played I am the music supervisor who has to ensure international distributors are happy and the channels they distribute to are happy. My career and name is at risk by submitting MP3s upsampled and reconfigured for HDTV, NTSC, PAL, Blu-Ray...who knows? I don't.

Because I don't know the end variables, I have to deliver my best. ESPNU can decide to move forward with it because they are the deciders within their variables. I am not as I don't know the end result of the product.

Draw your logo in Photoshop at 72dpi.
Have your company get picked up by a parent company who gives you billboard space in Time's Square.
Blow your logo up on the billboard.

The point being....YES....you can deliver MP3s and maybe someone will take a chance on them for a commercial or whatever. Great! Congratulations on ESPNU! Awesome!! (sincerely) But I will not be taking MP3s from artists as need to ensure best quality or at least a minimum is achieved. So you can take your chance I'm this rare rare quality-phile or you can take your chances exporting MP3s is 'good enough.'

Why even bother taking the chance? No one is composing at MP3 quality in their DAW so how hard is it to export at that quality? The answer is...it isn't. So, why send it compressed to someone who asked for it uncompressed? You've already got it uncompressed so its a silly approach to limit your chances.
How do you get tracks sent, via email?

Just saying because many email providers still limit file sizes to about 10-15 Meg's which is a high quality mp3 export. A wav file will be about 40-50 Meg's.

I just sent a bunch of people some wav files but I used Microsoft Skydrive which works good for this purpose but the recepients had to set up an account and then download the files off a server. Seems to be more hassle to me. Mp3 would have been quicker, but actually I didn't convert because I didn't have time to so I just sent the files to my skydrive.

I understand though not to release something on TV as an mp3 but listening should be fine and more efficient.
Old 2012-12-01, 21:35

We use DropBox.

nhansen, you're being silly and not really reading the thread.

The process is simple. They submit MP3s to me for consideration. They get very clear instructions and documentation for licensing if we feel strong enough that it may be used. To then, after being clearly instructed, they send MP3s I shake my head because it's very unprofessional to not follow a clear request. (Hence this thread.)

I should not be told I'm wrong because I decide to work and WANT to work at a high quality level. I'll say it again for those unable to read the thread....MP3s are fine for their use. I have no issue with it. But if you want to sit here and tell me I'm wrong for expecting quality, I will not accept that. It's not hard at all to deliver and that was the original point. Show your best when you can.
Old 2012-12-02, 01:08

Quote:
We use DropBox.

The process is simple. They submit MP3s to me for consideration. They get very clear instructions and documentation for licensing if we feel strong enough that it may be used. To then, after being clearly instructed, they send MP3s I shake my head because it's very unprofessional to not follow a clear request. (Hence this thread.)

I should not be told I'm wrong because I decide to work and WANT to work at a high quality level. I'll say it again for those unable to read the thread....MP3s are fine for their use. I have no issue with it. But if you want to sit here and tell me I'm wrong for expecting quality, I will not accept that. It's not hard at all to deliver and that was the original point. Show your best when you can.
Well I totally understand you wanting at least CD quality for the final submission. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 2012-12-02, 01:19

JL: yeah, using dropbox you can put the files in your public folder, wait for them to upload to the server, then right-click>copy link and send that, where they can download it. Very convenient.
Old 2012-12-02, 02:18

Quote:
How am I silly? If you don't have the equipment to play out a mp3 in 24/96 properly what kind of broadcast studio is that? Ofc given its encoded with at least 256kBit, you didn't say anything about that. Having PCM data would be nice and not having to play it in via a converter too.. But if you at least don't encode your video on a macbook, your hardware video encoder resamples the audio at some point anyway.

AudioFax ran at 128kBit MP3 and theres been some professional recordings like Bon Jovi and Cher where they have been used for vocal tracks, so lets keep it real. I just want to make clear to people that mp3 isn't the decline of civilization, you sound like it is. I see you talk about a specific application here and really don't want to attack you personally here. I literally just suggest doing an ABX before lying to oneself - to all readers.

That said, folks, really, if people ask for a PCM file, send them a WAV or AIFF, and not at 8bit/11kHz
Old 2012-12-02, 06:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman311music View Post
I respectfully have to disagree here. I produce music for an ESPNU show in HD and was asked to give them my tracks in mp3's. When i listened to the show afterwards music sounds fine. No quality loss and nothing noticeable. 99% of people don't have the ear to tell anyways for they are not as critical listeners as we audio heads tend to be .
i agree w/ wolfman here.. I have done some work for film and video games and have also been asked to deliver Mp3's.. The music has always come out sounding great, i guess I personally can't hear the difference...
Old 2012-12-02, 06:10

i do agree in some regards however, i always will deliver a wav file at the desired spec as part of a professional move.. I would expect others to as well unless otherwise instructed