Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-04, 12:01

R 6.5.2 couldn't recognize Refills

Recently I've downloaded a couple of free refills. While running 6.5.2 I copied the extracted file to the Reason folder. Reason couldn't "see" the refill. After resrtarting Reason it was OK. The same happened by the next refill. As far as I can remember in earlier Reason versions the refills were recognized even while Reason was running.
Old 2012-12-04, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclover View Post
Recently I've downloaded a couple of free refills. While running 6.5.2 I copied the extracted file to the Reason folder. Reason couldn't "see" the refill. After resrtarting Reason it was OK. The same happened by the next refill. As far as I can remember in earlier Reason versions the refills were recognized even while Reason was running.
I don't think that's ever been the case, as it searches locations every time it starts, although to what purpose is anyone's guess, as it doesn't speed up the browser when the program has finished loading!

Many of us here feel the current browser is beyond redemption and needs a ground-up reworking. My own view is a searchable cache that can be re-built at any time by the user via the Prefs menu is one essential feature that would go a long way towards improving ReFill (and now RE patch) browsing, even if the rebuild process itself took eight hours. I'd happily run it overnight.

It would need two additional settings - Rebuild Cache (long method), Add New/Updated to Cache (add stuff that isn't in the current Cache in the search locations, and/or newer versions of files than are in existing Cache).
Old 2012-12-04, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclover View Post
I actually have a similar problem, when I search for a patch in a certain directory within a session of Reason and add new things to the directory from outside reason (e.g. add another folder to the patchfolder with patches) it wont display the new directories until you reaccess the directory. But when you then go back to the session in reason and want to add another patch, it will not show the directories that were added again. You have to reaccess the directory again and there they are. But then when you restart reason (which isnt always the easiest solution) they will show up.
Old 2012-12-04, 23:23

I highly recommend that you do not store any of your own files anywhere in the reason install folder, but instead make a separate reason folder (with subfolders) for all of your files (songs, refills, patches, samples...).

This way, when you upgrade or re-install, you won't have to backup/restore all of your files - just add your reason folder(s) to favorites.

When you install/upgrade, the entire reason install folder is deleted, including all of your files.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-12-14, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
I highly recommend that you do not store any of your own files anywhere in the reason install folder, but instead make a separate reason folder (with subfolders) for all of your files (songs, refills, patches, samples...).
This way, when you upgrade or re-install, you won't have to backup/restore all of your files - just add your reason folder(s) to favorites.
When you install/upgrade, the entire reason install folder is deleted, including all of your files.

Thanks. I do all that already and I also save my files on a second hardware disc. Aditionally I moved my Reason scratch folder from deafault: C/Programs/...Reason... to another partiotion of the hardisk so that I won't lose anything if Windows crashes totally.