Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-05, 23:27

Red face How to make the song breathe, limit to kick?

Hey,
I saw a tutorial once.. where i think a compressor is used to "silence" the entire song except for the base drum. And this happens every beat. I don't know what this technique is called, but what it does is alowing your song to breathe and make it less flat.

I guess Avicii and David Guetta uses this tecnique. At least it sounds like it!
Any ideas or, can point me to a totorial? Im not sure if it was a compressor.. could be something else :S

Thanks!
Old 2012-12-05, 23:37

Hmm... I think I got it! It's sidechain compression??
Old 2012-12-06, 02:59

Yeah sidechain compression is definitely what you are after. Great technique to use. I'm sure you've already read up on it given you've found out what its called. The method you are referring to is using it to make portions of the mix 'pump' around the kick drum. Gives it a totally different energy. Another use of sidechain compression is to 'duck' signals competing for the same frequency in the mix such as sidechaining a sub bass to the kick drum so the kick still has a good punch. The sidechain just makes it so the sub bass 'ducks' out of the way for the kick. Another way i use it (im into breakbeat, DnB) is after layijng up and arranging some nice breaks, sidechain the layered breaks around the kick and snare, so the kick/snare have plenty of space to really crack and all of the breaks/percussion pump around those. Gives it a nice energy. Look forward to some other users chiming in. Good luck!
Old 2012-12-06, 08:30

Old 2012-12-07, 03:38

Found this once I know what it was called. Thanks
Old 2012-12-07, 03:47

Sweet! I will try and lern this, as I usually end upp with a dull / flat song. Breakbeats hm.. C-Quence - Endorphine, is a favorite song, and I see how it could be used here (no idea if C-Quence uses it...).
Thanks!!
Btw, I only have Reason 3.04. Do you think 6.5 upgrade worth the money? Im not that good with Reason / music overall... It looks too complicated :S
I will mostly be doing trance / house (dance) / remixes...

Cheers
Old 2012-12-07, 05:48

Yeah reason (or any DAW) can be a bit daunting when just starting out. I highly recommend watching some vids from the Props YouTube channel and many others that folks post on YouTube. Also if it seems overwhelming, just pick one device and dedicate an evening reading up on it and watching tutorials and having a play. Just chip away a bit at a time and next thing you know smacking the rack sideways! Also as far as Reason 6.5 I personally think it's worth the upgrade, but you'll definitely want to spend some time with the manual and get your head around the new SSL mixer and some key features. Good luck!
Old 2012-12-07, 06:54

CHECK MIXING WITH coldheart i got a lot of videos
Old 2012-12-07, 09:02
CymaticKicks

I recommend trying many different settings for sidechaining things as well. We recently started sidechaining to the snare as well as the kick.

For sidechaining, always experiement with the ratio, threshold, attack, and release. We usually have the attack as low as possible. The release has a drastic difference in how fast the sound comes back after the compressor kicks in.