Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-07, 13:45

RE Synths....or is it just me?

So the rack extenstions have been around for a few months now, I understand the format is no where near as mature as the VST Format ( All in good time), but i,m yet to invest in a RE synth, I,ve tried them all and not been overly impressed, currently I,ve only got a few RE's and they are more for pushing and shoving the Subtractor.Malstrom and Thor into sounds i like/want.

So far I,ve managed to get the sounds i want from the above synths...

Has anyone else not bothered or is it just me lol

(This isn,t a slagging of the synths or the devs some great work been done here)
Old 2012-12-07, 14:24

You're not the only one, none of the currently available synths in the RE store really impressed me either. I admit some of them have a few particular features you won't find on the stock Reason synths, but they're not necessarily useful and they don't justify spending money on a new synth in my case.

Right now, the one thing that would convince me to get a new synth would be the ability to load custom wavetables, but from I've read in a few posts here it's not even possible with the current SDK.
Old 2012-12-07, 14:38

aye i totally agree with you on the money side and yes i can,t deny there is some features missing from the current stock synths which would be nice...

being careful seems to play a part as too many cooks can ruin the broth, why have tools you never use etc ive been sidetracked before with the VSTS when i bought after another thinking i would use them, forgetting i,d have to learn to use them first which defeats the purpose of making music enjoyment.
Old 2012-12-07, 14:42

Yeah I think it may take a few more SDK updates to pry Thor out of my hands!
It's cool though because we are still so early in the game here so, I expect great things in the future.
Old 2012-12-07, 14:45

I'm biased as I was involved in the concept of Antidote, but I really like it a lot. I understand that it's not for everyone but there certainly isn't any of the standard Reason synths that do stereo unison oscillators, I also think that the filters are of a good flavor and not rehashes of the one's already available in Reason (the Antidote filter is based on cascaded OTA type, found in many Roland synths, there's also a model of the diode ladder filter found in the TB-303 which I like, esp to play polyphonically.

Also I think that Antidote has a good balance between tweak-ability and user-friendliness, imho it has a good flow, just like Reason's own synths. Finally, Antidote has some really high quality FX that imho are worth the money alone.

There's an exciting update of Antidote around the corner that will expand it's usability a little bit more, I can't really say more than that atm.

Sorry if this came off as a sales pitch, like I said in the beginning, I'm emotionally involved in this synth due to both the concept and contribution in sound design, but for me, Antidote filled a hole in the Reason line up. For others, I'm sure that it is Predator or Viking that fills that hole. And for some, the Reason synths are sufficient.
Old 2012-12-07, 14:50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
I'm biased as I was involved in the concept of Antidote, but I really like it a lot. I understand that it's not for everyone but there certainly isn't any of the standard Reason synths that do stereo unison oscillators, I also think that the filters are of a good flavor and not rehashes of the one's already available in Reason (the Antidote filter is based on cascaded OTA type, found in many Roland synths, there's also a model of the diode ladder filter found in the TB-303 which I like, esp to play polyphonically.

Also I think that Antidote has a good balance between tweak-ability and user-friendliness, imho it has a good flow, just like Reason's own synths. Finally, Antidote has some really high quality FX that imho are worth the money alone.

There's an exciting update of Antidote around the corner that will expand it's usability a little bit more, I can't really say more than that atm.

Sorry if this came off as a sales pitch, like I said in the beginning, I'm emotionally involved in this synth due to both the concept and contribution in sound design, but for me, Antidote filled a hole in the Reason line up. For others, I'm sure that it is Predator or Viking that fills that hole. And for some, the Reason synths are sufficient.
Absolutely, it worth to buy only due to Reverb, Chorus & Delay!

Apart from above, it's an exclusive synth, looks gorg & it tearing apart Predator, at least for me!
Old 2012-12-07, 15:11

@exode I'm not quoting (for neatness) but, I don't think it reads like a sales pitch at all.
If you lined up all available synth RE, for my mostly limited budget, Antidote is a great investment.
I think you did a great job with concept and it is obvious when the RE really "feels" like a Reason device and, not just a plug-in/add-on. I believe Antidote would be my first choice, if I woke up with some extra money and wandered into the shop.

And then of course, I would aim to aquire all the others soon after, if I'm being honest!
Old 2012-12-07, 15:21

Antidote is precisely the most disappointing RE synth for me, I prefer not to say why.
Old 2012-12-07, 15:31

Reason's stock devices already provide access to most well-known synthesis types (analog, subtractive, FM, phase mod, wavetable, noise, formant..) with virtually unlimited routing and modulation options.

RE synths offer few truly unique features that can't be emulated in Reason with some effort (aside from new waveforms like Re-Tron's tape banks and a few new FX/filter types). None of them really open new dimensions in sound design; they do however have user-friendly interfaces, lots of new patches, and a possibly better (or at least, somewhat different) sound quality.
Old 2012-12-07, 15:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdist View Post
Antidote is precisely the most disappointing RE synth for me, I prefer not to say why.
No one let you go now!