Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-09, 06:24

Latency during play/recording!!!

How's everyone doing?

I am a pianist who is looking at recording my own songs using my Reason 5 software.

Okay, first I bought a Casio PX-130 Privia w/ USB cable to connect directly to my Windows XP computer. No sound would come out so I spoke to one of my computer whiz friends and he told me the Windows Desktop CPU I had was "ancient."

He provided me with a huge-memory Gateway CPU that is alot slimmer and faster than my Windows XP.

I plugged my Casio Privia into the Gateway and BINGO! I have connection between Reason 5 and my MIDI Controller (Casio Privia keyboard).

Now here's where the last problem lies....there is a latency issue where the sound comes in a little less than a second after I press the key of the piano.

Its not that noticeable until I use the piano pedal and play some fast songs (I play alot of fast songs) and the lag messes up my entire tempo...

Is there any way to change the settings on my Gateway or Reason 5 to fix this latency issue???

My computer whiz friend told me it might be the sound card, so he showed me a Creative Labs sound card that he said had plenty of sound quality power and that it may resolve this issue, but Im hoping to fix this problem without having to purchase more stuff!

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

P.S.- I am not that good when it comes to computer so please, no confusing tech terms for this ol' school noob!
Old 2012-12-09, 06:33

Edit->Preferences->Audio and decrease the buffer size.

Better yet, download and install ASIO4ALL (a kind of low-latency audio driver), then select it in Reason preferences.
Old 2012-12-09, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post
My computer whiz friend told me it might be the sound card, so he showed me a Creative Labs sound card that he said had plenty of sound quality power and that it may resolve this issue, but Im hoping to fix this problem without having to purchase more stuff!
No offense meant towards your "computer whiz" friend, but a Creative Labs soundcard is the last thing you want near a music production computer. They're consumer/gaming cards. That said, latency is almost always related to your audio buffer settings for your soundcard and whether or not you are using an ASIO-supported soundcard (which Reason requires on Windows).

If you're using on-board (built-in) sound, I can guarantee you that it does not officially support ASIO, but as RXTX suggested, download ASIO4ALL and try those on your stock soundcard. It should allow you to hit a <10 ms latency which will feel like playback/recording is instantaneous.

When the day comes that you decide to replace your soundcard with something more suited to music production, consider Propellerhead's own Balance, or the myriad of others available on the market from the likes of M-Audio, RME, Focusrite, MOTU, Apogee, etc.
Old 2012-12-09, 21:19

Quote:
Edit->Preferences->Audio and decrease the buffer size.

Better yet, download and install ASIO4ALL (a kind of low-latency audio driver), then select it in Reason preferences.
I tried the buffer size thing before (sorry, forgot to mention it) but it just helped a bit.

I went to the ASIO4ALL website, tried installing it, but it only gives me the pdf instructions for it, but no desktop icon or ASIO4ALL program. Not sure if its because my system doesn't accept ASIO4ALL or something.

Now that I'm in front of my desktop computer I can tell you that its a

- Gateway SX2801-07e
-Windows Home Premium 64-bit
- Intel Pentium Processor E5700
-1TB hard drive
-6GB DDR3 Memory

Ive read in other places that the ASIO4ALL would work, but cant get it to install correctly....whats the problem?!

@ Enochlight- Thanks for the help and information! Like I said above though, I'm sure the ASIO4ALL will help but I cant get it to install on my computer. I tried both the ASIO4ALL website and Download.com
Old 2012-12-10, 00:32

Download the latest non-beta version from here...

http://www.asio4all.com/

After you run the installer, you need to select ASIO4ALL as the audio card driver in Reason audio preferences.

You can edit the ASIO4ALL settings there via the control panel button.
Old 2012-12-12, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner498 View Post
Download the latest non-beta version from here...

http://www.asio4all.com/

After you run the installer, you need to select ASIO4ALL as the audio card driver in Reason audio preferences.

You can edit the ASIO4ALL settings there via the control panel button.
IT WORKED! For some reason it JUST now showed up in the Audio Preference section of REASON....THANKS SO MUCH!
Old 2012-12-12, 20:14

Quote:
IT WORKED! For some reason it JUST now showed up in the Audio Preference section of REASON....THANKS SO MUCH!
GREAT....but NOW I have NO sound from my midi controller (Casio keyboard) when playing under the ASIO4ALL V2 sound preference on REASON audio...but when I put it to my M-AUDIO Fast Track, I do....

WTF! This is frustrating...
Old 2012-12-12, 20:23

Quote:
GREAT....but NOW I have NO sound from my midi controller (Casio keyboard) when playing under the ASIO4ALL V2 sound preference on REASON audio...but when I put it to my M-AUDIO Fast Track, I do....

WTF! This is frustrating...
MIDI doesn't carry audio, so if you're just hooking up your Casio midi keyboard via MIDI to control Reason (which you would want to use as your sound source anyway), you should only get audio from Reason.

When you "put it to my M-Audio Fast Track"... are you running line outs from your Casio to your line-in on the Fast Track?

What is it exactly you're trying to accomplish - not too sure now.

Quote:
Weird - that was the same URL that I linked to. Perhaps you missed it?

*shrugs*
Old 2012-12-12, 20:37

Okay, I FIXED the sound problem....I had to go into advanced settings and turn on ALL of the sound devices (even FASTRACK)...however, there is an extreme amount of crackling and popping sounds when using ASIO4ALL V2, no matter the buffer size on it...is this an issue of getting a higher quality sound card then?
Old 2012-12-12, 22:00

Quote:
Okay, I FIXED the sound problem....I had to go into advanced settings and turn on ALL of the sound devices (even FASTRACK)...however, there is an extreme amount of crackling and popping sounds when using ASIO4ALL V2, no matter the buffer size on it...is this an issue of getting a higher quality sound card then?
Wait wait waaaait a minute... I just realized - you have an M-Audio Fastrack??! Isn't that an ASIO-compliant soundcard? Why aren't you using that as your soundcard in Reason??

Last edited by EnochLight; 2012-12-12 at 22:03.