Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-11, 18:11

Question Continuous tone Generator

Hi all, I came from protools and reason is now my primary DAW and I love it. One trick I miss however is to create a tone using some sort of tone and to sidechain a send to trigger open a compressor/gate. For example, I'd set up a low note and key a kick drum in to it to give it a bit more beef.

I know I can create a continuous tone if I draw the midi note, but it will only work if I draw it every bar, or through the whole song. Is there a way to set a device so it's making a noise continually?

Thx for the help

Rick
Old 2012-12-11, 18:32

Thor single tone generator

Attached to this message you can find a simple THOR patch that might solve your problem. ;-) If you have further question then just ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SINGLE NOTE TONE GENERATOR.jpg (21.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 2012-12-11, 18:58

THOR Continuous tone Generator

Sorry,I've been too fast. NOW there's the actual THOR patch, and not only a screenshot. You'll find that patch attached to this post. I hope that helps so far, but feel free to modify that patch to your own taste. I use that patch for making Kick Drums sounding bigger and fatter if needed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SINGLE NOTE TONE GENERATOR.thor.zip (1.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 2012-12-11, 19:22

And another Thor patch.

A sine wave.

You can change the frequency by going to the Step Sequencer at the bottom of the programmer panel and changing the note VALUE, presently C3.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ContinuousTone.thor.zip (737 Bytes, 6 views)
Old 2012-12-11, 19:35

Oops! Sorry was in a hurry. Meant, 'Based on a sine wave'. (It's not a pure sine wave.)

It does kind of sound like one, though.
Old 2012-12-11, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickblackdog View Post
Hi all, I came from protools and reason is now my primary DAW and I love it. One trick I miss however is to create a tone using some sort of tone and to sidechain a send to trigger open a compressor/gate. For example, I'd set up a low note and key a kick drum in to it to give it a bit more beef.

I know I can create a continuous tone if I draw the midi note, but it will only work if I draw it every bar, or through the whole song. Is there a way to set a device so it's making a noise continually?

Thx for the help

Rick
Yes, Thor is good for this but,

Unless I'm totally missing something…
This is exactly what synths are great at, and your Pro Tools setup is basically building a small synth. Trigger the synth with the kick notes (copy the notes to a new track, for example), and you'll have a FAR more capable and versatile system than you could ever build with a continuous tone and a gate IMO. :-)
USA
Old 2012-12-13, 00:15

You gus are awesome, thx so much for your help.
Old 2012-12-13, 05:30

If you have recorded drums with mikes then you have a wave form so dropping midi notes through the whole song will be a very time consuming effort and just not that practical. But, setting up a tone generator for the sub bass track, then having that triggered on and off by the base drum is ideal.
electro world

zillis is two people (brothers). just so you know.
Old 2012-12-13, 07:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillis View Post
If you have recorded drums with mikes then you have a wave form so dropping midi notes through the whole song will be a very time consuming effort and just not that practical. But, setting up a tone generator for the sub bass track, then having that triggered on and off by the base drum is ideal.
You can convert audio to a CV trigger - one of James Bernard's tips covered this. :-)
USA
Old 2012-12-13, 09:42

Oh yea, that sounds familiar. Thanks. I already do this, so I know one way at least, but always good to have a few options. I'll try to find JB's.
electro world

zillis is two people (brothers). just so you know.