Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-12, 09:13

Re-groove mixer

hi guys.

can anyone tell me the use of re-groove mixer as to what difference does it make or iam just maybe not using it correctly. i tried it and i could 'nt hear any thing interesting about it. what does it do then?
Old 2012-12-12, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1038449 View Post
hi guys.

can anyone tell me the use of re-groove mixer as to what difference does it make or iam just maybe not using it correctly. i tried it and i could 'nt hear any thing interesting about it. what does it do then?
i do not know.. I have never used this mixer.
However, I would also be very interested in what you can do with it.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JEMLuPgmE
Old 2012-12-12, 09:23

or together with buffre: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUkpEujRfZE
Old 2012-12-12, 09:42

ReGroove hasn't blown me away. I tried to add some random variation to a piano piece to make it sound more alive and all it did was messing up my sequencing, as in moving about my notes. Looping sounded crap, because suddenly some notes where moved to before the marker so you would not hear them play within the loop. I think it would be more useful if in fact it didn't move about the notes, just create a shuffle "illusion". But maybe I just overlooked some setting that would make it do exactly this, I don't know
Old 2012-12-12, 09:42

The Regroove mixer is a non-destructive device which allows you to 'shift' MIDI notes (and velocities if applicable) on MIDI blocks, sort of a groove steal-and-applier.

For example, how do you get a groove file? One easy option is to do this:

1) create Dr.Octorex
2) load up a funky 'human' played breakbeat
3) copy loop to track
4) right click on the clip and select 'get groove from clip' - this dumps in the MIDI timings of the Rex clip into slot A1 of the ReGroove mixer.
5) now delete that clip from the sequencer, make sure also 'run' is disabled on the Octorex
6) Now create a ReDrum and make an electronic drumloop, same size in timing as the Rex clip (ie 4 beat or 8 beats etc.)
7) Copy the pattern on the ReDrum to the sequencer, disable auto-run
8) Now on the sequencer you see the 'record arm' 'mute' 'solo' buttons and an extra drop down - this is your groove 'applier' option. Press PLAY forst to hear the 16-hit-straight loop... very 'robotic'... hit STOP
9) Now on the 'groove applier' dropdown select A1, and on the ReGroove mixer bring the fader down to the bottom (0%), press play and the loop sounds the same as the ReDrum electronic beat. Now raise the fader to 100%, and you should hear the timing a bit more 'loose', giving it a human feel. Additional controls are shufle (lowest = no swing, highest = max swing, think electro-triplets, or in DnB terms, think 'Bodyrock' by Andy C), and also slide (which slides the notes forwards or backwards in time by so many 'ticks' - 240ticks per 1/64th beat, so you can be ultra precise).

Remember this is all non-destructive, so if you don't like the sound you can keep tweaking until you do like it, or simply ditch it and try something else.

I normally have a 'square' electronic beat then a break and map my first square beat to the break. Also I would divide up my square beat into individual drum hits, so I could apply separate grooves to each track (you could have hats on A1, snares on A2, toms on A3, kicks on A4) and then you can play around and loosen your rigid beat. Can be great fun, a really simple trick is to have kick on the beat, snare also on the beat on a new track, and slide the snare with negative ticks to make the beat sounds faster than it truly is, or postive ticks to give the beat a more laid back feel, even though you haven't changed the tempo, only the key hit positions, the human ear and brain picks up on these slight differences and is fooled into thinking the track is faster or slower than it truly is. Can get messy though if you plan to have your track played by DJs who are playing 'strict' beat patterned tracks. All depends on what others sounds are being mixes, else phase issues etc *might* occur. Also watch out for phase if you are ReGrooving layered sounds. Can be quite good in some cases, as the original 'layers' might have phase issues to start with, and the Regroove could be a useful tool to bring in line the sound (and not necessarily the trigger point)

Ahh the joys of layering

Also check out page 444 to 460 in the Reason 6.5 manual for more info / examples
Old 2012-12-12, 09:47

I used it for drums. Mainly the for hihats and snares. It gives it some groove. Like what the mpc does.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:59

LABONERECORDINGS it looks like you the winner. @JenseTNI man thats exactly what the thing did to me as well. i say we try LABONERECORDINGS's advice
Old 2012-12-12, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1038449 View Post
LABONERECORDINGS it looks like you the winner. @JenseTNI man thats exactly what the thing did to me as well. i say we try LABONERECORDINGS's advice
Well at least I know now that I wasn't haluzinating, thats something Will try now the advise from the as always helpful LAB:ONE guys!
Old 2012-12-12, 10:35

Always happy to help out you guys - pick our brains all you want

ReQ·131 in the RE Store:
http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...31-31-band-eq/

Lab:One Recordings (C) 2011-2012
http://www.lab-one-recordings.co.uk