Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-11, 22:51

Cool Antidote don't work too good!

I've just bought Antidote because I thought the sound was great and liked the interface.

Unfortunately I only tried it alone and now I've combined it with a few tracks and some other synths the PC can't handle it!

If I have just one Antidote running it zaps 45 to 50% of the CPU.

PC is win7x64, Pentium D 3.4GHz with 6Gb RAM. Am using Edirol UA-1ex for audio.
Would moving to a firewire audio device help any or is it time to ditch the PC?
Old 2012-12-12, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm01 View Post
I've just bought Antidote because I thought the sound was great and liked the interface.

Unfortunately I only tried it alone and now I've combined it with a few tracks and some other synths the PC can't handle it!

If I have just one Antidote running it zaps 45 to 50% of the CPU.

PC is win7x64, Pentium D 3.4GHz with 6Gb RAM. Am using Edirol UA-1ex for audio.
Would moving to a firewire audio device help any or is it time to ditch the PC?
I cranked the oscillator settings on a drone and had five instances going on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook running OS X 10.7.5 with power to run 3-4 uhBik Fs, a Kong, Dr. OctoRex, and Redrum with some effects.

Pentium D is pretty weak these days, especially for the 'big synth' REs. iirc a 1.5-1.6GHz C2D is a match for a 3.2GHz Pentium D.

iirc FW will not use CPU resources like USB does, but I don't think the difference will be signifigant enough for you to notice CPU-wise.

On the dual core i7 MBP I have, now, I can change Predator from 4X oversampling to 32X on a heavy patch and only see 2% more CPU use o.O Maybe 3%.
Old 2012-12-12, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
In other words, I understand that Antidote may not be for you, but I do not agree on your points of critique against it.
Dude I'm not crazy. I'd make a specimen of the Glide issue to put this to rest but my trial ran out.

I encourage you to take a recording of a very wide interval of Thor and Antidote with both set to Legato and Portamento "off" (2ms glide on Antidote). And then take those recordings and slow them down by 4x.

Granted, the "powered-by" FX are a shade different.

Did not know that about the mod envelope. Indeed I don't like being forced into extreme exponential curves for the amp and filter envelopes.
Old 2012-12-12, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
Do you mean you havent succesfuly routed audio "thru" Thor yet?
(Apologies if I misunderstand)
yep... you got it right Funnily with Maelstrom I did it all the time, super easy, but trying to replicate that approach on Thor does not seem work. I have seen a YouTube video lately explaining that you need to do some routing in the programmer to do that (e.g. assign the filter or effect to the incoming audio signal) however the simple plug-n-play like approach with maelstrom did not work. I feel stupid about it because I specifically looked it up in the manual but somehow it completely eluded me, naarf...
Old 2012-12-12, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenTNI View Post
yep... you got it right Funnily with Maelstrom I did it all the time, super easy, but trying to replicate that approach on Thor does not seem work. I have seen a YouTube video lately explaining that you need to do some routing in the programmer to do that (e.g. assign the filter or effect to the incoming audio signal) however the simple plug-n-play like approach with maelstrom did not work. I feel stupid about it because I specifically looked it up in the manual but somehow it completely eluded me, naarf...
I can relate!
I just go audio in and then, use the mod matrix to set the path to the "filter 3" inputs.
You can't go thru filter 1 or 2 IIRC. I can't at the moment remember how "early" in the path you can put it...
For ex. Routing to the delay inputs instead of the filter 3.

Hope that helps a bit....blind leading the blind I guess. haha
Old 2012-12-12, 14:18

Cool, will do! The delay in the Thor is not my favorite anyway with all the excellent effect devices out there, so the filters are where I put my money. Cheers
Old 2012-12-14, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm0000 View Post
So the rack extenstions have been around for a few months now, I understand the format is no where near as mature as the VST Format ( All in good time), but i,m yet to invest in a RE synth, I,ve tried them all and not been overly impressed, currently I,ve only got a few RE's and they are more for pushing and shoving the Subtractor.Malstrom and Thor into sounds i like/want.

So far I,ve managed to get the sounds i want from the above synths...

Has anyone else not bothered or is it just me lol

(This isn,t a slagging of the synths or the devs some great work been done here)
I think if you're going to use Reason, you should be good enough working with Thor, Subtractor and Maelstrom to get a majority of the sounds that you want, without having to add various synths from Rack Extensions. Otherwise, you might as well just switch to Ableton, Logic, Cubase etc and Sylenth - where it is so easy to get massive sounding synths just by dialling in a few simple controls!

So personally it doesn't bother me if the Rack Extensions aren't mind-blowing, i try and get big sounds using what's already in Reason without the Rack Extensions - think this is how you have to approach reason if you're going to make seriously good music on it.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmclean100 View Post
Otherwise, you might as well just switch to Ableton, Logic, Cubase etc and Sylenth - where it is so easy to get massive sounding synths just by dialling in a few simple controls!

So personally it doesn't bother me if the Rack Extensions aren't mind-blowing, i try and get big sounds using what's already in Reason without the Rack Extensions - think this is how you have to approach reason if you're going to make seriously good music on it.
Sylenth1 have nothing over Antidote in terms of features as Antidote features more "voices" per oscillator, overall higher detail and of course the modifier, which Sylenth1 lacks completely (Sylenth doesn't offer sync, lacks basic pwm and lacks wavetables).

You could argue that Sylenth1 has two parts that Antidote lacks, which is redeemed by simply putting Antidote in a Combinator, but if you look at the surrounding features and capabilities, the "core" of Antidote is more flexible (and yes, I own both so I can make a 1:1 comparison) than Sylenth1 is.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:49

Antidote and now PX7 are special to me and they are the only synths I got from the shop without expecting to have to spend that money Antidote is just a different take on subtractive synths and yeah, it has some small feature additions that do not exist in the stock synths but its mainly the whole package. PX7 totally ninjad me with its patch import. That some DX7 clone was dearly needed in Reason was obvious

The PolySix I could have lived without but I got it anyway as I'm a sucker for that synth. One of my music teachers was totally into it and got so many sounds out of it very quickly I just had to get interested

I also got the Radical Piano but thats another thing ^^ Some RE synths sound outright awful (I look at you, carnivore), theres definitely no use in getting all of them just to have "variety of sound".
Old 2012-12-14, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
Antidote and now PX7 are special to me and they are the only synths I got from the shop without expecting to have to spend that money Antidote is just a different take on subtractive synths and yeah, it has some small feature additions that do not exist in the stock synths but its mainly the whole package. PX7 totally ninjad me with its patch import. That some DX7 clone was dearly needed in Reason was obvious
Yes, true 6-OP FM is something that was impossible in Reason with the stock synths. I also like the PX7 and think that it was a welcome addition to the rack.