Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-13, 16:38

Is This Baroque?

If so, I'll fix it!

But seriously, I have a question for you classical music fans...

What era of classical music do you think the music on the following video best represents? I originally wrote it back in 1994 as part of a children's musical, but I've never been able to classify what type of music it is. And now I want to classify it.

Thanks for your answers.

http://youtu.be/CXo4ZSkEWUw
Old 2012-12-13, 19:00

Sounds Baroque-ish enough to me. More so than Classical-ish or Romantic-ish ... or Twelve-Tone-ish. :-)

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2012-12-13, 19:13

I really like it! Good stuff.

As to your question, it doesn't really represent a single era of classical Western music, as it blends style elements from the Baroque, Classical, and the Romantic eras.

For example, it has a harpsichord in the beginning, which is a typical Baroque instrument, but it doesn't have it used as part of a Basso Continuo. It's really used like a piano, which is a Classical-era-and-beyond instrument. Also, there isn't a lot of counterpoint in the keyboard lines, which is a typically Baroque feature.

The tuned timpani you used wasn't added to a typical orchestra until the Romantic era. In Baroque music, timpani is rare, but when it does appear it is usually tuned to the tonic or rarely to the dominant. Cymbals weren't used the way you used them until the Romantic Era as well.

The oboe line in the beginning was beautiful. And quite Baroque.

So, all in all, I think it was a lovely piece that synthesizes a lot of our Western musical heritage. Thanks for posting!

I knew all those music courses in college would pay off!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-12-13, 19:15

Baroquoclassicantic, then.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2012-12-13, 19:25

Bar rock?

Sounds a bit folk-romantic. I wouldn't say baroque.

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2012-12-13 at 19:27.
Old 2012-12-13, 19:28

I wouldn't call it Baroque music. But it's a nice music for that film. Let's agree, that it's a children's music.
Old 2012-12-13, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrace View Post
I really like it! Good stuff.
Thank you very much! My goal with this piece is to make people "Happy, Happy, Happy" like Phil Robertson.

Quote:
As to your question, it doesn't really represent a single era of classical Western music, as it blends style elements from the Baroque, Classical, and the Romantic eras.
I reckon I'm a musical mutt!

Quote:
For example, it has a harpsichord in the beginning, which is a typical Baroque instrument, but it doesn't have it used as part of a Basso Continuo. It's really used like a piano, which is a Classical-era-and-beyond instrument. Also, there isn't a lot of counterpoint in the keyboard lines, which is a typically Baroque feature.

The tuned timpani you used wasn't added to a typical orchestra until the Romantic era. In Baroque music, timpani is rare, but when it does appear it is usually tuned to the tonic or rarely to the dominant. Cymbals weren't used the way you used them until the Romantic Era as well.
Thank you very much for posting this. Not only is it enjoyable to read, but it gives me a lot of insight as to different eras' characteristics, which will be incredibly helpful when I'm coming up with music ideas and decide to target a particular era .

Quote:
The oboe line in the beginning was beautiful. And quite Baroque.
Thank you. I love Oboes, which I didn't really appreciate til I purchased Miroslav. The oboes are awesome in Miroslav..

Back when I wrote this piece, it was almost completely harpsichord. I only finished this last arrangement a couple of days ago.

Quote:
So, all in all, I think it was a lovely piece that synthesizes a lot of our Western musical heritage. Thanks for posting!
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
I knew all those music courses in college would pay off!
I only took Theory 1 in college back in the late 80s, so I don't know nearly as much as you. but I am very grateful that my folks could afford my tuition. The one theory course I did take has helped me tremendously.
Old 2012-12-13, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkheal View Post
Baroquoclassicantic, then.
I love that term. I think I will use it in my artist bio!
Old 2012-12-13, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
Bar rock?
Hee Hee! Could you imagine how much business your bar would lose if you played this tune over and over?
Old 2012-12-13, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullpoti View Post
I wouldn't call it Baroque music. But it's a nice music for that film. Let's agree, that it's a children's music.
Thank you for the nice words.

Yes, we can all agree that it's definitely children's music. Although I'm glad I never saw some of those weird Vaudeville acts at any of the birthday parties I went to when I was a kid. Some of those would have scarred me emotionally for life, I do believe.

The musical was based on the book "A Little Princess". It's a birthday party for Sara, the main character.

Here are.the sappy lyrics, as sung by her little classmates:

Very special wishes
On this wonderful day
To a very special princess
With wonderful ways.

May your day be filled
With joy and love
And every kind of blessing
From Heaven above
May your heart be filled
With happiness true
Happy birthday dear Sara