Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-12-14, 19:44

Is ReCycle right for me?

So I've been trying to figure out if ReCycle is something that I should invest in. I already have Reason 6, and I'm happy with everything that it does for me. However, I've always been into messing with samples (splicing, pitching, etc).

I know some of the basic things that can be done with ReCycle, such as splitting up a drum beat or other rhythm tracks. The ability to export as a .rex file seems useful as well. However, I also know that the NN-XT has a very basic ability to do this. While it is not as complex as ReCycle, that aspect is less of what I am wondering about. I'd also like to be able to take a sample of a sound, say the striking of a pitchfork, and be able to pitch it up and down without affecting it's speed or distorting the quality of the sound drastically.

In general, that is what I am more concerned with. Pitching sounds without affecting speed or tonal quality of the sound is more what I am looking for in a piece of software right now.

So, is ReCycle right for me? If not, what sort of program should I check out?
Old 2012-12-14, 20:12

If you like Rex files and want to make your own then Recycle is the only way to make them. If you can live without making your own Rex files then Recycle wouldn't add much to your workflow. There's not a lot of bells and whistles, it's a simple program that does it's job well. I own it and I use it now and again but it's not the game changer that it used to be.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2012-12-14, 20:20

I mean, like I said, I'm not TOO concerned with that, what I'm more wondering is if ReCycle is powerful enough to handle taking a single note of an instrument (or maybe not an instrument at all?) and pitching it without changing speed.

When I watched the video on how ReCycle works, I saw that it essentially looks for transient peaks in a loop, and makes slices out of them. However with a single note, there is essentially just one peak at the beginning of the sound, so I'm not sure how useful it would be at pitching something like that.
Old 2012-12-14, 20:35

It's the devices in Reason that shift the pitch, not the rex file. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old 2012-12-14, 20:58

Cool thing is that you can save the al of the slices as individual wave files! Build your own drum kit I say!
And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !
Quote:
Originally Posted by obroadfield View Post
You're a hero Eric...thank you.
Old 2012-12-14, 21:17

So are you saying that what I am trying to do can be completed with Reason alone?
Old 2012-12-14, 21:52

If you want to mess with pitch you can do it a few ways depending on how you want to work. The short answer is yes, the long answer is, yes, which device do you want to work with and what do you want to achieve?
Old 2012-12-15, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedbutton View Post
If you want to mess with pitch you can do it a few ways depending on how you want to work. The short answer is yes, the long answer is, yes, which device do you want to work with and what do you want to achieve?
I guess that's what I need to figure out. Can you recommend any good starting places to learning how to do it?
Old 2012-12-15, 05:56

If you have a rex file in the octorex, you can transpose +- one octave. You can also change tempo, but stretchi g or squeezing it too much fuggle with the sound.

You can also transpose in the nnxt, or change the tempo of an audio clip in the sequencer, so you shouldnt need rex just for that.
Old 2012-12-15, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhypht View Post
I mean, like I said, I'm not TOO concerned with that, what I'm more wondering is if ReCycle is powerful enough to handle taking a single note of an instrument (or maybe not an instrument at all?) and pitching it without changing speed.
It does not do that. The Dr.OctoRex can change the pitch of sounds, but it does it in the same way as the NNXT or NN-19 samplers, by slowing the playback speed of the sample or slice. In the case of a drum loop, this usually does not get noticed except in extreme cases, since the whole point of ReCycle is to preserve the timing of the slices no matter at what pitch the individual slices are played. So, for example, if a booming bass drum is dropped an octave in pitch, it will play twice as long, but before it can ring out that long, the next slice in the loop will be played over it.

Shifting only the pitch (without affecting duration) can be achieved in Reason's audio tracks, with the Transpose feature, or by using the Neptune device. There are also a couple RE devices like Polar that can do that. But ReCycle itself is not what you need if that pitch-shifting is all you're looking for.