Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-19, 02:56

Is there anything better than the H4N for portable recording?

I'm looking into portable recorders to make doing sound design for stage and film much easier. The H4N seems to be the goto for the quality and price. Anybody have experiences with these? Something else you think is better? Will of course be importing the files into Reason for editing =)

I'm looking for handheld devices, not things like the brand Audio Devices where I am hooking up external mics. Although, the option to do so (such as with the H4N), is nice.
Old 2012-12-19, 03:12

It depends on what you mean by better. Nagra, Marantz, Tascam, etc. make high-end multitrack portable recorders but that may be overkill for your needs.

For me the H4n is an incredible value for the money. It has the features I need and sounds great even when using the built in mics (I usually use a Sennheiser shotgun mic).

There are, of course, more expensive options with more features if you need them, but I would go with the H4n if it does what you need.
Old 2012-12-19, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin3am View Post
It depends on what you mean by better. Nagra, Marantz, Tascam, etc. make high-end multitrack portable recorders but that may be overkill for your needs.

For me the H4n is an incredible value for the money. It has the features I need and sounds great even when using the built in mics (I usually use a Sennheiser shotgun mic).

There are, of course, more expensive options with more features if you need them, but I would go with the H4n if it does what you need.
Thanks! I think it will be great =) For some of the stuff I record, it feels like overkill when I'm hooking up my macbook, interface, microphone just to get a few samples...
Old 2012-12-19, 03:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyluck View Post
I'm looking into portable recorders to make doing sound design for stage and film much easier. The H4N seems to be the goto for the quality and price. Anybody have experiences with these? Something else you think is better? Will of course be importing the files into Reason for editing =)

I'm looking for handheld devices, not things like the brand Audio Devices where I am hooking up external mics. Although, the option to do so (such as with the H4N), is nice.
best value for money. I used it for the sound design, foley artist and small shorts film. Also acts as a sound card and is the ideal companion for my camera canon eos! I'll recommend it. has 2 adjustable capacitors and those two microphones are simply fucking amazing!

Reason 7.0.1 / Mac Pro 8 core 16 gigabyte Ram / M-Audio Firewire 410 / Studio UAD Solo 2 Quad / Behringer BCF2000 / Ua Distressor / Yamaha HFS80/ Blamsoft Resampler / Bitspeek LPC Vocoder / Ozone Maximizer / Rough Compressor / Softube FET / RPdistort Effect / RPsubboombass / Synapse Antidote / Korg Polysix / Quadelectra Stereo Splitter / Selig Curve / ReQ131

https://facebook.com/lemecdj
https://twitter.com/karimlemecdj
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.youtube.com/user/kynziomusic
Old 2012-12-19, 04:19

I had the chance to try the roland 2-26 and I must say the quality is outstanding, you can check videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZkqHozPoX0
Old 2012-12-19, 06:07

H4N is fine but like all the Zoom devices, it has three drawbacks:

1. It absolutely eats batteries
2. It's very sensitive to handling noise
3. It's very sensitive to wind (and by "wind" I mean "the slightest perceptible movement of air"), even with the wind guard on.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great device, and the audio quality is excellent for the money. But IMO the above factors make it less than perfect.
Old 2013-02-01, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrtldg View Post
H4N is fine but like all the Zoom devices, it has three drawbacks:

1. It absolutely eats batteries
2. It's very sensitive to handling noise
3. It's very sensitive to wind (and by "wind" I mean "the slightest perceptible movement of air"), even with the wind guard on.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great device, and the audio quality is excellent for the money. But IMO the above factors make it less than perfect.
Sorry to not visit this more than a month later. Thanks for your opinion.

I recently was on a set and had the opportunity to use a friend's H4n. I was inside so did not have a chance to experiment with it's sensitivity to wind. However, I did notice it's sensitivity to handling noise.

What I didn't have was the 'mic clip adapter' and was wondering if the handling noise is diminished when holding the H4n by the adapter. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks again!
Old 2013-02-01, 20:17

Quote:

Thanks again!
I have an H2 here, and even the little tabletop stand works pretty well to remove handling noise so I imagine the adapter would be good. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet this would be even better because those are flexible legs:

Old 2013-02-01, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
I have an H2 here, and even the little tabletop stand works pretty well to remove handling noise so I imagine the adapter would be good. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet this would be even better because those are flexible legs:

Thanks. I plan to be mobile with the recorder, rather than at a desk.

However, I have also been debating getting the H2n instead of the H4n.
Old 2013-02-01, 21:20

Quote:
Thanks. I plan to be mobile with the recorder, rather than at a desk.

However, I have also been debating getting the H2n instead of the H4n.
Oh that's the good thing about the stand there: 6 inches tall, legs will squeeze in to work as a handle, $10. So anywhere you find sound you want to record you have the option of removing handling noise entirely by just setting it down

Unsure about the differences between the H2/H2N/H4 etc, but the 4N sure is purty lol