Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-20, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeenz View Post
Glies. Cheers for the info on the mixer/sequencer linking, thats exactly what I was after.
I don't understand why that matters though? A mute is a mute, who cares where it is on the signal path. The mixer mute/solos links with the rack, which is technically before the channel mute/solos.
Actually, the Rack view is EXACTLY the same as the Mixer view. They are not different functions at all.

Just like there's a play button at the bottom of the Mixer, the Sequencer, and the Rack (unless you collapse the transport, of course!); It's the SAME button, duplicated in the interface for your convenience. The same is true of the Mute/Solo buttons in the Rack and Mixer.

But OTOH, the Sequencer's mute is muting the NOTE DATA, while the Mixer is muting the AUDIO DATA. One example of how linking these would be impossible would be a ReDrum. I can have a single track in the sequencer (with multiple note lanes if you like), but can be split to appear in up to 10 Mix Channels. OK, now if you hit mute in the sequencer it's clear you'll mute all the drums, but which of those 10 Mix Channels would you want linked in the Mixer?

Not only that, but like my Sends example, linking them (if it WERE possible in all cases), would be redundant since muting one would give the exact same end result as muting the other - silence. Linking them wouldn't give you 'double-silence'!

So a mute is not a mute, as you say, because it DOES matter where in the signal path the mute is located - sends/returns are an excellent example of multiple mute points in the signal flow. Hope this helps in some way. :-)
USA
Old 2012-12-20, 18:37

I figured out last night, than for some run tracks that will make sound even though the song is not playing, you have to mute it at the mixer.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Actually, the Rack view is EXACTLY the same as the Mixer view. They are not different functions at all.

Just like there's a play button at the bottom of the Mixer, the Sequencer, and the Rack (unless you collapse the transport, of course!); It's the SAME button, duplicated in the interface for your convenience. The same is true of the Mute/Solo buttons in the Rack and Mixer.

But OTOH, the Sequencer's mute is muting the NOTE DATA, while the Mixer is muting the AUDIO DATA. One example of how linking these would be impossible would be a ReDrum. I can have a single track in the sequencer (with multiple note lanes if you like), but can be split to appear in up to 10 Mix Channels. OK, now if you hit mute in the sequencer it's clear you'll mute all the drums, but which of those 10 Mix Channels would you want linked in the Mixer?

Not only that, but like my Sends example, linking them (if it WERE possible in all cases), would be redundant since muting one would give the exact same end result as muting the other - silence. Linking them wouldn't give you 'double-silence'!

So a mute is not a mute, as you say, because it DOES matter where in the signal path the mute is located - sends/returns are an excellent example of multiple mute points in the signal flow. Hope this helps in some way. :-)
Yeah yeah, I get it - but I have to be honest, its silly. The very odd occasion this might be handy you could easily do with track automation.

I really dig this software, dont get me wrong, but there are one or two little things like this that imho make the whole interface very clumsy and clunky once you start getting into larger projects.
Old 2012-12-21, 10:22

Hi,

I sometimes have midi tracks that I want to improvise over to see if I can come up with a better performance or mainly just to jam along with the track.
I don't want to lose the notes I have in the clip , just jam along with the rest of the song.
If I mute in the mixer I won't be able to hear the instrument.
If I mute in the sequencer I can happily play along and muck around and hear what I'm playing without any chance of wiping the notes I previously recorded.
That's my take on the difference between the 2 mutes.
As Selig said , one mutes the note data and the other mutes the audio.
I couldn't work without it.

DK
Old 2012-12-21, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdk View Post
Hi,

I sometimes have midi tracks that I want to improvise over to see if I can come up with a better performance or mainly just to jam along with the track.
I don't want to lose the notes I have in the clip , just jam along with the rest of the song.
If I mute in the mixer I won't be able to hear the instrument.
If I mute in the sequencer I can happily play along and muck around and hear what I'm playing without any chance of wiping the notes I previously recorded.
That's my take on the difference between the 2 mutes.
As Selig said , one mutes the note data and the other mutes the audio.
I couldn't work without it.

DK
Why don't you mute the note lane? Then click the overdub button and make a new lane to record different takes.
Old 2012-12-22, 16:48

Quote:
Yeah yeah, I get it - but I have to be honest, its silly. The very odd occasion this might be handy you could easily do with track automation.

I really dig this software, dont get me wrong, but there are one or two little things like this that imho make the whole interface very clumsy and clunky once you start getting into larger projects.
Totally not following what you're saying here! I explained why linking the two totally unrelated function is impossible, you respond saying it's silly. There's really no other way it COULD work, silly or not! :-)
USA
Old 2012-12-22, 16:52

Quote:
Why don't you mute the note lane? Then click the overdub button and make a new lane to record different takes.
This is a perfect example of why there's mutes for sequencer tracks AND mutes for Mixer channels - you couldn't do what you just described if the mutes were linked, because you wouldn't hear ANYTHING! Make sense? ;-)
USA
Old 2012-12-22, 17:06

Quote:

actually I don't think it's silly at all...
If I want to sidechain my Bass with the Kick, but not hear the kick, I can simply automate the mixers mute button and leave the rest as is...