Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-12, 05:32

Talking

O man!!!!!! They Have A Video!!!!!!!!!! Good look man!
Old 2012-09-13, 22:48

Lightbulb

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, so I have to point out that they apparently have no idea what they're talking about when they explain high and low frequency sounds around 20 minutes in. I'm not a great scientist, but when I hear this kind of silly speculation about something we actually know very well, I try to tell people what I do know.

Like light and radio waves and other types of radiation, sound waves have not an imaginary or metaphorical but a real frequency. Frequency refers to the number of occurrences of an event (such as the oscillation of a wave) within a unit of time.

Sound is pressure waves with different frequencies which we perceive as pitch. 20khz waves oscillate at a rate of 20,000 times per second and sound very high to us, while 20hz are 1/1000th of the speed, only oscillating 20 times per second, and they sound very low.

If it's hard to picture, it's just like the Low Frequency Oscillator waves we're all familiar with, we just can't hear those frequencies because they're too low for our ears to pick up. That's why they were not used to make sounds themselves, but instead to control and modify the parameters of other equipment which produced higher frequency sounds.

If you want to know more, a decent place to start would be the Hertz article on Wikipedia.
Old 2012-09-13, 22:55

He's talking about psychoacoustics. It might be its not so for you but for most people (and this is scientifically researched) they do locate parts with more high frequency content higher (spatially) in a stereo field created by two speakers or headphones. Its researched but theres no "scientific" reason really, its just how our "VR System" called brain works so thats why he's giving "strange" explanations

Last edited by normen; 2012-09-13 at 23:01. Reason: grammar
Old 2012-09-13, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynebiau View Post
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, so I have to point out that they apparently have no idea what they're talking about when they explain high and low frequency sounds around 20 minutes in. I'm not a great scientist, but when I hear this kind of silly speculation about something we actually know very well, I try to tell people what I do know.

Like light and radio waves and other types of radiation, sound waves have not an imaginary or metaphorical but a real frequency. Frequency refers to the number of occurrences of an event (such as the oscillation of a wave) within a unit of time.

Sound is pressure waves with different frequencies which we perceive as pitch. 20khz waves oscillate at a rate of 20,000 times per second and sound very high to us, while 20hz are 1/1000th of the speed, only oscillating 20 times per second, and they sound very low.

If it's hard to picture, it's just like the Low Frequency Oscillator waves we're all familiar with, we just can't hear those frequencies because they're too low for our ears to pick up. That's why they were not used to make sounds themselves, but instead to control and modify the parameters of other equipment which produced higher frequency sounds.

If you want to know more, a decent place to start would be the Hertz article on Wikipedia.
What exactly are you referring to in the video. I just watched the video sounds 20min in and the only thing I could think you were talking about is the whole Chacra frequency chart. Is this what your talking about? I don't totally agree with the whole chacra thing either.
Old 2012-09-14, 17:58

This video cleared my head , because i had all of these things i didnt understand yet , i was trying to learn advanced stuff and i did not even know the basics yet .

after watching this video, all the advanced stuff makes sense now .

and mixing is more than plugins and software and hardware , its and art .

painting pictures with sound and this video cleared that up for me nicely .

for example , how can i understand parallel compression if i dont know what a compressor is or does .

learn the basics , then move onto the next level .

Last edited by Djstarski; 2012-09-15 at 11:04.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:52

Red face

Maybe I wasn't listening closely enough then. It sounded to me like he was trying to explain why we call things high or low frequency, not just speculating on why we perceive higher frequencies as physically higher...sorry! >_<
Old 2012-09-15, 17:01

Too much information to remember at once xD But yes, thank you for sharing.
Old 2012-09-15, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynebiau View Post
Maybe I wasn't listening closely enough then. It sounded to me like he was trying to explain why we call things high or low frequency, not just speculating on why we perceive higher frequencies as physically higher...sorry! >_<
Yeah but also "why we call it like that" falls into that category. No reason you would call a car that passes by your house more often per minute than another "higher" Or colors.. Normally we don't think blue is "higher" than read, at least I don't
Old 2012-12-22, 20:33

Just finished watching all 2 plus hours. Have to say it was tough getting past the dated visuals and hammy video production values. I was able to look past that to absorb his message. I like the idea of using colors and shapes to understand how to mix music, so this was right up my alley.

For some reason, watching the video made me want to go buy some MC Hammer pants, grow a Ned Flanders-type mustache and jam to some Rick James tunes.
Old 2012-12-23, 17:28

Thanks for posting the video djphathead! I have watched some of it and will watch more later on when I can digest its content! its a lot of info to take in, in one sitting lol, again thanks

joe :-)