Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-12-21, 01:33
Rockman245

Some Help would be great, how do I make it more realistic?

Hello,

So I am currently making a track and the song has a lot of natural instruments which include horns, bass and strings. I was wondering if there is a certain way to make it sound more real. I have searched videos and looked up on the web but yet it still doesn't have the sound I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2012-12-21, 01:51

Pan it from the audiences point of view. So imagine or draw the set up on a stage as if it was being performed (keep the bass in the middle)
Secondly give the notes some variation in velocity, makes it feel more real because if someone was playing it live then the velocities wouldn't all be the same
You can also add some swing to it (regroove), sometimes called humanisation, because this will shift certain notes slightly which essentially is purposely not playing it perfectly as people rarely will play exactly in time on every single note
Also add some reverb but imagine the room it's in, is it a big room, small room or what. once you've done that adjust the dry/wet setting so the reverb isn't drowning the original sound and compliments the instruments
Old 2012-12-21, 02:11
Rockman245

Thank you. I am currently working on the string section of the song. I am using the dustforce - Light pollution (http://youtu.be/TS3lNhmFKk4) as something to reference. His strings go up and down and seem to sound more pure.

https://soundcloud.com/rockman244/city-walk-rough This is a loop of the song I am currently working on. How can I clean it ?
Old 2012-12-21, 02:43

Vary the velocity.
Old 2012-12-21, 02:57

I don't think his strings sound much better than yours, its just that he's got a song going while you have a drum loop and one string pattern with no context Sure he's got some reverb etc. but without a song you can't mix either
Old 2012-12-21, 08:18

Sometimes its just crappy samples Reason doesnt have the best sellection of horns and such... You cant really sound REAL without Real instruments. But alot of it is in the mix. Try messing with the EQ and like VillaNDubstep said, Pan.
Old 2012-12-25, 12:55

Hi, i am relatively new also to reason, but i think your answer lies within instrument rack called rv7000. Study it for a while and you should get the knowlege how to make naturel rack instrument sounds more realistic.
Old 2012-12-25, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
I don't think his strings sound much better than yours, its just that he's got a song going while you have a drum loop and one string pattern with no context Sure he's got some reverb etc. but without a song you can't mix either
I'd love to hear your work sometime.... I've seen a lot of posts, but dont recall ever hearing your work.