Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-12-27, 21:20

Midi out...whats the problem!!!

Listen propellerhead...i dont know if youve noticed but...YOU HAVE ALL OF THE COMPONENTS TO BE THE ULTIMATE DAW AND YET YOU STILL REFUSE TO ADD MIDI OUT. Why the hell can we not get midi out? I would want nothing more than to just use my mpc1000 and reason. But i can only use reason as a sound module to record into another daw. To me thats ridiculous. Ita an all in one software. You can create anything in it and along with the rack extensions its uncanny. Come on put midi out.
Old 2013-01-09, 10:42

I think exactly the same. Why Reason only works as Rewire slave?. Because it has no MIDI out.
If Reason implements MIDI out it will become the main DAW and Rewire host.
I don't know why external synths like Roland V-Synth GT can not be controlled by Reason sequencer and then recorded like audio track in Reason.
Reason force people to buy always another DAW that remains as Rewire host just for Reason's MIDI out exclusion.
Please Propellerhead: If you want Reason becomes the main DAW, just include MIDI out and CV (Note, Pitch and Gate signals) to MIDI converter rack module and Reason will be considered the main DAW for most people.
Old 2013-01-09, 12:34

I'm at risk of sounding like a forum troll with this subject, because it's the main thing I'm here to talk about. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments of this thread (and every other thread requesting MIDI out lol).
Old 2013-01-09, 13:35

AGREED....Really cannot get my head around why props has'nt given us midi out??
seems crazy to me, I'm sure no midi out is actually putting a lot of would be buyers of reason off !
I dont actually have any synths or outboard modules/samplers myself (yet) but I know I would love to have something like Access Virus or similar to use with reason but you cant?

Get a grip of peoples needs Propellerhead ffs

rant over

Ritchie_s

https://soundcloud.com/ritchie_s
Old 2013-01-09, 13:53

I bet it comes in one of the next versions but it would require a new channel type, new menus and god knows how many internal changes. That its not in by now kind of makes sense as Reason is no studio master anyway.
Old 2013-01-09, 14:08

Unhappy Possibly jumping ship...

I find it frustrating too. I have been gradually collecting external MIDI gear over the last couple of years and would love to be able to use the Reason interface to create CC automation lanes and sink them to an external MIDI channel. The RPG-8 would be awesome feeding my Juno-106 as well (it doesn't have a built-in arpeggiator, and many synths do not possess the random mode or anywhere near as much flexibility as the Propellerhead unit anyway).

I have tried slaving Reason to GarageBand and using MidiO to push note data to my Juno, but you seem to lose the ability to record audio into Reason when it is a ReWire slave, and it's a huge inconvenience to have to bounce tracks out of GarageBand and re-import them into Reason in the right place.

I have seen basic/limited demonstrations of MIDI out using hacked versions of the Propellerhead rack devices, so it seems to be tantalisingly close, but we have no indication that the feature will ever be added officially.

I don't want to have to spend £200 on something like Logic Pro only for Propellerhead to add MIDI in the next version of Reason, so I am holding off until I know what the feature list is. If they don't add it, I will seriously consider jumping ship to something like Ableton Live. I have been using Reason since version 2.0 (and have owned a licence for every version since 3.0), and love the workflow to bits, but it doesn't fit well into a "real" studio. Rack extension emulations of classic kit (PolySix, FM7 etc.) are great, but I love owning and using the old physical kit, and Propellerhead could make my musical adventures so much more fluid and spontaneous by adding MIDI out.
Old 2013-01-09, 14:40

I think I saw an interview with props, where they kinda confessed that when they created Reason, they thought MIDI was a dying protocol and no one would use external gear by now anyway, because of software being so much cheaper. (or something) I think it's somewhere in here
http://www.propellerheads.se/mmm/ind...entinfo&EID=14
Old 2013-01-09, 14:58

I'm all for looking to the future and judging by the way things are going, all outboard gear will be surpassed by soft synths soon enough.

HOWEVER, having said that, I have a microkorg that is completely unused because I solely use Reason. And music is not just about being at the pinnacle of technology.

Using actual (ie not emulations) classic synths adds story and character to your music. That is something that will never cease to exist. In the same way using a real guitar or a piano does. Sure emulations sound great, but it's not the real thing!

"Music is my religion." Jimi Hendrix

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-01-09, 21:40

And moog just introduced a new synth for namm.....
Moments like this are a definite slap.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:42

Reason will NEVER have MIDI out!