Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-08-03, 14:39

Lightbulb Suggestion: Blocks layering

The Blocks feature is quite nice in reducing the copy and paste orgies when changing some of your notes. But the experience could be even better if it was possible to set another block as "parent" to the block you're working on, so that the contents of this parent block are put into the child block as a backing track.

That way you could make a "main beat" block and derive most other parts of the song from this one. Then if you later alter the "main beat" block all of its child blocks would be updated automatically.

Interface implementation could be done quite easy: Add a "master/parent block" dropdown on the block edit screen (close to the selector of the current block).

This would even further reduce copy and paste madness and give more room to quickly experiment with new basslines, synths or drums.
Old 2011-08-03, 19:06

That would be awesome.
A bit like the library system in flash where you can use instances of movieclips in other movieclips.
In short, instances of blocks nested in other blocks.
It would make sequencing more modular.
Then we could build a whole song template/starter and change it drastically just by altering some 'parent/master' blocks.

Brilliant suggestion +1

Edit: if this would be implemented pheads style this could be next generation sequencing.

Last edited by LfO128; 2011-08-03 at 19:11.
Old 2012-12-28, 22:50

Cool

bump (as other people liked the idea in another thread).
Old 2012-12-29, 13:20

The way I'd like to see blocks go is to simply allow multiple block lanes, that way I'd be able to have blocks dedicated to certain things and really this would just give me more flexibility when using blocks.
I think it would be really useful for grouping certain tracks together and more people would find a use for blocks that works for them.
If props would implement this I would be most pleased and also the option to trigger blocks (and assign them to keys or pads) would be even more awesome. Update Kong so we can set it to block mode and in block mode instead of browsing samples we could just select the block number/name. Underneath each pad should be a little bar showing the progress of the block that's playing.
Also the ability to set values (1bar,1/4,1/8,1/16 etc....) would be handy with the option of setting a block to loop or play once. This can all be done with kong
Being able to retrigger the block at any point with the values on would keep everything in time as well.
Even if it's not kong then a new fresh device and if someone wanted to they could hook the blocks device up to kongs pads.

There's so many possibilities with blocks here and it definitely needs a revamp, this is how I would like to see blocks in reason 7 - please
Old 2012-12-29, 14:12

I like the idea. But master child concept is too complicated in my opinion. Why not simply allow unlimited lanes for the block track? So i could use these lanes for several blocks that would be played at the same time. drum block, melody block and so on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blocklanes.jpg (34.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 2012-12-29, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquil View Post
I like the idea. But master child concept is too complicated in my opinion. Why not simply allow unlimited lanes for the block track? So i could use these lanes for several blocks that would be played at the same time. drum block, melody block and so on.
That would be cool.

So, one question to figure out would be, what would take priority? Higher lanes? Lower lanes?

Or maybe you could assign specific tracks to each block lane.

So maybe, rather than multiple block lanes, multiple panes of block-lane + tracks. If that makes sense.
Old 2013-05-20, 00:42

As the mixer and audio part of Reason got quite some improvements with 6.5 and 7 I think adding layered blocks would be a nice and very helpful thing to improve the sequencer.