Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-02, 10:16

about using reason synths live

Iam still pretty new to reason, but my long term goals are to play live shows using one or two controllers, triggering synths through my reason software, as far as whatI need to put this together, any ideas? interfaces? or some kinda of latency router? I read about vst live hosting, but not sure if that was needed with reason? anything helps thanks!
Old 2013-01-02, 12:01

I would highly recommend the Korg Kontrol, either the K49 or the Micro version. Both work amazing well with Reason. All the different instruments are mapped to the keyboard, you can switch between racks and use transport controls (play, record, rewind).

You shouldn't have problems with latency (assuming you have a relatively good computer/laptop) as Reason is very light on the CPU. It still runs fine on my 4 year old laptop.

If you're using Reason with other software (Cubase/Ableton etc), or recording audio in with Reason 6, you may need an external sound card. There are tons to choose from depending on your needs - you could take a look at Propellerhead's own 'Balance' hardware.

VSTs don't run with Reason, so you won't need to bother with them. There is a product called Receptor which is a hardware VST player, which you could use with Ableton/Cubase etc, but not with Reason.

Reason has no MIDI out, which means you can;t send midi signals through it to external kit.
Old 2013-01-02, 18:55

Whatever controllers you choose will most likely connect directly to a USB port on your computer and therefore require no additional interface for that.

You will probably want an audio interface which would give you higher quality sound output than what's built into your computer - but it is not required, it's a highly recommended option.

You would need an audio interface if you want to use a microphone into reason. you can get USB mics, but you'd get much better quality out of a better mic through an audio interface.

In Reason, you can setup a controller to be a 'master controller' which will cause it to always be playing the currently selected track (in the sequencer) and/or you can lock a controller to a device, in which case it will always play that device no matter what track you select.

The Combinator device will let you put multiple devices in it and then split the keyboard across those devices - i.e., you could split a keyboard in the middle and route the lower keys to one device and the upper keys to another.

The combinator configurations can be saved as patches, and the overall configuration saved as a song (.reason) file.

There are many ways to do this, but I like creating a separate song file for each song in a set, then opening them all up before the gig - that way everything is up and ready to go - you don't have to hunt for files and wait for them to open during the gig.

you can either layer them with the first one on top and last on bottom and then close them as you play through them, or use the application browser to switch between them.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RĂ˜DE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2013-01-02 at 18:59.
Old 2013-01-02, 23:38

awesome thanks
Old 2013-01-02, 23:43

okay so say I rewired into abelton and ran my midi controlls from there through Receptor, would that cancel out the need for an audio interface? thanks again
Old 2013-01-03, 10:34

Not sure if you'd need the Receptor with that kind of set up - as you could run the VSTs out of Ableton. People normally use a Receptor when they don't want a computer involved at all e.g. running VST synths like Reaktor or Massive straight from a master keyboard.

Whether you need an audio interface or not depends on a) are you looking to record high quality audio, or multiple tracks at once and b) how 'heavy' your tracks are. An audio interface can take some of the strain away from your CPU, but the best thing is to see what you can get away with without one, then work out what you need.
Old 2013-01-03, 11:12

ok. bear with me...

I play live with reason and my hardware is as follows:

computer: MacBook Pro 13" standard (July 2012 model - not retina model)
software running: Reason + MySongbook (for words as my memory is poor)
Audio Card : M-Audio Fastrack c600
Microphone: Shure SM58 Vocal mic with standard 3pin mic lead
Bass: Non Branded 5 string Electric blue bass with standard 1/4" jack lead
Keyboard 1: M-Audio Keystation es88 via USB midi (Plus 5 or 9v power supply 'cos in the past I've been to some freaky places where the power supply is crap and therefore the usb audio +power cuts out midway through a song. Lesson learnt - dont rely always on USB as power source as well as data)
Keyboard 2: borrowing a friends old ensoniq keyboard via 5pin din MIDI cable.

Did you get all that?

now for the setup:

on keyboard one I have approx nine combinators/patches that I've kept tracks for and consequently can switch through them at the touch of one of the es88's programmable buttons. I have not found a way to stop t=it moving up or down before it reaches the audio tracks though. If I go to far then move back to the MIDI tracks then I have to go into the track mode (F7) and record activate the vocals or bass line. IF ANYONE HAS A MORE ELEGANT WAY TO DO THIS I'M ALL EARS.

ps. keyboard one is set to master controller

Keyboard 2: I have 9 sounds exactly and the keyboard has an up and down button that toggles through the 9 transmit channels. I switch this keyboard off (in the same screen as where keyboard 1 is made into master controller). and I delete the tracks of all combinators/ patches for keyboard 2. How do recall them? simple. I use advanced MIDI settings have it in Bus A and then in the rack (F6) right up top in the Advanced MIDI section I insert the patch/combinator into in a slot (9 out of the possible 16 channels). once again ; IF ANYONE CAN DO THIS MORE ELEGANTLY PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

There you have it. I works for me in my situation (which is as a live three piece covers band). I hope to swap my friends keyboard (2) with something that I own (am currently looking at a couple of keyboards but thats a discussion for a separate post).

ps. CPU strain has not been a problem.
pps Even though APPLE have a decent reputation with their CORE AUDIO internal sound I still would get an external sound card.
ppps. I'm not looking for endorsement from M-Audio. It just happened that way. (One was a free upgrade from a keyboard that repairers couldnt fix the other was the last one in a sale going cheap) very happy with both mind you ;-p
Old 2013-01-03, 11:49

cool thanks, so not thinking about audio tracks or recording at the moment,but primarily (for example) VSTs, and synth effects and drums and sending that signal to a mixer or a keyboard amp, what would be a good way to bridge that gap? i know about the 1/8 audio out on my macbook but its a weak and flimsy connection.. I would need something with a strong connection with some," pre amp "controls or something. being a bass player pre amps and hardware processing makes sense to me sorry if i seem slow on painting the picture in my head
Old 2013-01-03, 11:54

yeah. Thats why I got the external audio card. The M-Audio c600 has 4 multi ins (the kind of socket that takes either 3 pin Microphone or tip/sleeve 1/4inch jack) plus two at the front. plus it has 6 (or 8- can't remember) 1/4inch output jacks plus S/PDIF in/out. In my setup I take two 1/4 inch out (left and right) to the main mixer.
Old 2013-01-03, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjam View Post
being a bass player pre amps and hardware processing makes sense to me sorry if i seem slow on painting the picture in my head
I have a bass guitar but do not own any pre amp or speaker setup - that is why I plug my bass into reason and use the onboard line 6 Bass amp and a few other things to get my bass sounds a happenin'.