Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-01-01, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by batcountry69 View Post
Not quite like a real ssl and real rack no but my background is tour FOH and it IS like selecting a channel on a digital desk and having all its associated parameters or inserts pop up on the screen or control surface.

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm but why shouldn't we implement virtual workflow that simply isn't possible in the real world?

If studio owners could defy the laws of physics and do this, I'm sure they would.
yeah sorry that was sarcasm didn't mean to make a mockery of your ideas or work though.
I've never had problems with messyness in general, somehow I believe it does leave space for more creativity (in my life&workflow that is ).
But anyway I'm all for options. I might actually enjoy working like this, you never know
so I pretty much like the idea of grouping and hiding mixer channels.
Old 2013-01-03, 18:18

Just wanted to chime in as one who loves multiple rack spaces side by side as they are now. I would dislike seeing a separate rack in between various SSL channel strips. If they did add that feature, then perhaps keep the old way as an option for those of us who like it the way it is? I suppose if the visibility of the SSL-integrated rack was on a toggle, then I'd never see it. But how to handle the visibility of the rack from the back? I know they could be on a toggle as well, but the cables dragged across horizontally would be a nightmare, in my humble opinion. Software updates are tricky. They can add new features all day long, but it's near impossible to take one away without pissing off some users.

Perhaps this explains why I love the width. I used to have a few double wide racks back in the day and having as many as I want side by side now seems to make perfect sense to me. It just looks right (obviously, others disagree). All of my monitor displays are wider than they are tall, so it makes more sense to me in that regard as well. Because I hated scrolling vertically for days due to the limited vertical space I had for viewing, I would connect external displays to my laptop and physically rotate them into portrait view so I could see more devices at the same time. I don't have to do that any more.

I also love having a separate channel strip rack unit for each device in the rack view. That's what keeps the cables tidy, as long as they are directly above/below each device they connect to. I admit, it took a minute to get used to, but now I quite naturally view each channel strip rack unit as a shortcut into an SSL channel.

Definitely +1 for the elevated sub-group idea! That looks awesome! Not sure about the blue shading all of the time... maybe only when one of the channels is selected?

SoundCloud | Twitter | BanjoBuddy
Old 2013-01-03, 19:11

I think having 2 monitors really solves any issues. I know the software shouldn't demand such a thing, but nevetheless, since I used to work with Reason versions 2 & 3 and was used to a single column rack layout, I still stick with that setup. The right-to-left rack is indeed an utter mess to me.

The right monitor can be used for the sequencer and SSL mixer and the left simply the rack. I use a smaller monitor for the rack on a lower resolution setting so that the rack items are larger and easier to see.

Old 2013-01-03, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
I think having 2 monitors really solves any issues. I know the software shouldn't demand such a thing, but nevetheless, since I used to work with Reason versions 2 & 3 and was used to a single column rack layout, I still stick with that setup. The right-to-left rack is indeed an utter mess to me.

The right monitor can be used for the sequencer and SSL mixer and the left simply the rack. I use a smaller monitor for the rack on a lower resolution setting so that the rack items are larger and easier to see.

I agree that a lot of the disconnect of what's connected to what can be minimized with multiple displays. I have a very similar setup; L = rack, laptop in center = sequencer, R = SSL, but my external display resolution (only 1920x1200) allows for 2-1/2 rack widths, not just one... and I love that I only view the transport section on the laptop display and created a keyboard shortcut to show/hide all navigators to give just a bit more space. I tend to use each rack bay for different types of instruments; drums, horns, keys etc., reserving one bay for audio track rack units.

SoundCloud | Twitter | BanjoBuddy
Old 2013-01-09, 23:12

Bump!

As I said, these individual racks would be collapsible. As it stands, reason as it is is such a mess I'm not using it.
Old 2013-01-11, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by batcountry69 View Post
Bump!

As I said, these individual racks would be collapsible. As it stands, reason as it is is such a mess I'm not using it.

Question do you use cmbinators at all ? That's All that I use.

I never ever use the other side of the rack..single column all the way for me !

The only mess that really pisses me off in the RACK is the fact that you need a Mix channel with every combinator !!!! why not have all the features of a Mix channel and Audio channel and dynamics inputs in one device or super combinator ?

I can not count how many times I reach to click open A combinator and Accidentally click on the Mix channel, simply because the name of the combi is highlighted by a color and the fonts on the Mix channel are easier to read !!!