Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-04, 00:04

Play/start

IMHO. I think it's a bit clunky to not have a play start button. Every sequencer I've used had a play start button and I stayed away from those that didn't. When Opcode got killed by Gibson I refused to switch over to Performer for just that reason. (well, more than that reason)

I've had Reason Since Reason 3 but I only used it as a rack until they got blocks because I prefer pattern based sequencing. Now here I am and I find the absence irritating.

The preference for it to either. behave the way it currently does or behave like most every hardware based sequencer since the dawn of time would be great. I still haven't got used to the multiple clicks.
PT gives you the option, so does Logic and so have many other software sequencers. Those who like the resume style play button will probably not fully appreciate what it is i'm griping about. but heck, even the MPC has both.
Say yes to the one button/ one keystroke!
Old 2013-01-04, 10:47

What is a play/start button? And in what way would it be different from the way you start the sequencer in Reason?
Old 2013-01-04, 15:22

In reason,when you play a song and stop it then play again it will resume playing from where it stopped.That is standard play button behavior.

A play/start button lets you play from the start of a song or start of a selection every time.

In reason if you double click the stop button then hit play OR if you click the left button of a set loop then hit play OR if you hit the number3 then hit play you are doing what a single playstart button does.

Play/start also indicates the behavior without the button. What I mean is this;
In Reason, if you hit the space bar once, it plays. hit it again it stops. hit it again, it resumes playing from where it left off.
In Pro tools(if you have the prefs set)You hit space bar once it plays, hit it again, it stops, hit it again, it starts over from that selection. That's play/start behavior and I would like the choice of doing that with ONE CLICK.

When I stop something, it's usually because I need to go back and listen to something that just happened like "Whoa, was that chord clashing with the bass?"
Additionally it would be great to be able to highlight a couple of bars and be able to play loop from there instead of having to set the loop points each time. Highlight bars 7 through 13 and it loops there, highlight another set of bars, and it loops there. Easier. But don't eliminate the current loop function. that could be used as a more permanent one and the selcct/loop one can be used for temporary loops.

I hope I'm clear what I'm saying....public education.
Here's a few play start buttons.

http://nicholaspayton.files.wordpres...000_panel.jpeg

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/ja...devisionb4.gif

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/ju...sonar2main.gif
Old 2013-01-04, 15:35

Ah great yeah now I get it.
I really liked this function in ProTools for Foley recording, when I was still doing that.
I don't know, whether you've tried that yet, but with the pressing of cmd+L (or ctrl+L on win) the Loop markers loop the highlighted section. I know it's not really what you're looking for, but might offer a convenient workaround for now. Also you can use the Num Block to control reasons Transport (which I find to be quite nice actually) and if that doesn't cut it (in case you have no Num Block e.g.) you can also use the Keyboard override function, to map some of your own shortcuts.
Which is pretty handy. I have All Solo Off and All Mute Off assigned to an easy shortcut (shift+1/2) so I reduce the confusion about whether I used solo in Mixer or sequencer.
wrong thread, I know. sorry
Old 2013-01-04, 16:59

Those sound very useful, will get right on it! thanks. Yeah I have the Mac wireless keyboard and a 42 inch monitor(actually a TV) and I sit back from the console, over near the midi controller. No number pad and I'm too stubborn to give it up!
Old 2013-01-04, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZM View Post
Those sound very useful, will get right on it! thanks. Yeah I have the Mac wireless keyboard and a 42 inch monitor(actually a TV) and I sit back from the console, over near the midi controller. No number pad and I'm too stubborn to give it up!
I found that I have beautiful control over Reasons Transport and some other nice functions when I assign the controls to the Keys on the left hand side of the keyboard and shift. That way I have all the control over Reason right where my Tab hand is and the right hand is free to play keys, or use the mouse