Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-03, 16:35

Yeah... perhaps. I will hang on until the 7th (or thereabouts) to see how this plays out. Thanks.
Old 2013-01-03, 16:59
Propellerhead

ifonline: I have found your support ticket, it was in the queue, minutes from being dispatched. I will handle your support case, and report the findings and/or solutions in this thread.

rvolt: Please send us a support e-mail describing the issue you are experiencing. Do you also have a new iMac? Good to know it is intermittent for you, happening 1/3 of the time and not always.

We don't have an open case about Balance stopping on machine reboot. Your two reports are the only ones so far.

I have seen a similar issue on MacBooks before, but in that case it was because the computer model provided too little power in some of its USB ports.

Balance blinks the lights that way only in two cases:

1. When the port provides too little power for some functions
2. When the port is USB 1.1/1.0 only

If Balance really shuts down every time you boot that machine, there are three possibilities:

1. Balance device broken or damaged.

2. Computer broken or damaged.

A test on another Mac or Windows-box would be help determine if the cause is in the computer or the device.

3. Flaw or bug in computer model or firmware. Also unlikely but worth looking into. Confirmed only if the same happens on another system of the same model.

If it's 3. you have found a variant of iMac we have not tested yet, which has some USB quirk.

I don't have an iMac like yours here, but I have a Mac Mini of the same age with Intel i5 2.5 GHz and OSX 10.8.2, which works fine with Balance through reboots and cold starts.
Old 2013-01-03, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
ifonline: I have found your support ticket, it was in the queue, minutes from being dispatched. I will handle your support case, and report the findings and/or solutions in this thread.
Perfect. Thanks for the follow-up.

Quote:
We don't have an open case about Balance stopping on machine reboot. Your two reports are the only ones so far.

I have seen a similar issue on MacBooks before, but in that case it was because the computer model provided too little power in some of its USB ports.

Balance blinks the lights that way only in two cases:

1. When the port provides too little power for some functions
2. When the port is USB 1.1/1.0 only
I wonder if there is too little power and/or a broken Balance. Definitely not an issue of USB 1.0/1.1 only as all four ports on the iMac are USB 2.

Quote:
If Balance really shuts down every time you boot that machine, there are three possibilities:

1. Balance device broken or damaged.

2. Computer broken or damaged.

A test on another Mac or Windows-box would be help determine if the cause is in the computer or the device.
I will try hooking up to another iMac to see what happens.

Quote:
3. Flaw or bug in computer model or firmware. Also unlikely but worth looking into. Confirmed only if the same happens on another system of the same model.
The other iMac I have is an identical copy of the one I use specifically for music, and so I will try connecting the Balance to this one to see what happens.

Quote:
If it's 3. you have found a variant of iMac we have not tested yet, which has some USB quirk.

I don't have an iMac like yours here, but I have a Mac Mini of the same age with Intel i5 2.5 GHz and OSX 10.8.2, which works fine with Balance through reboots and cold starts.
Interesting. I wonder if a powered USB hub would help? If so, I would want to find one that shuts off when the iMac shuts off. Hm...
Old 2013-01-03, 22:52

Hi, ifonline

This (the problem you´re talking about) does not only happens with Balance. We have same issue on some I-macs with other USB-Audiointerfaces too (example VRM). And the problem will be harder if we connect same time an "FireWire" (800 to 400 standardcable) Interface. Than sometimes I-Mac crashs.

Maybe seems it´s a problem of power of some I-macs. Apple dev an USB-Update (before some weeks), but this does not help really.

So we disconnect most usb-devices while starting MAC (or using active powered USB-expansions). Then it works.

Don´t understand why this problem happens, but it does ...
wrote apple again and again about that, no answere from them ...
* MAC & PC *: Reason / Recycle / Reason Ess. (7.01 / 2 / 2.01), Ableton Live-Suite 8, Harrison Mixbus 2.3.1, Reaper, ReNoise, MuTools, Energy-XT, MOTU BPM (with / and all Plugs from MOTU), MakeMusic Finale 2012, NanoStudio - * PC *: Samplitude Pro (Favo on PC !), Cakewalk: Project 5 / Sonar XPro, FL-Studio (complete with many of those Plugs) - * MAC *: LogicPro 9.18, MOTU DP 7.24 (My Favo on MAC) - * Apple IOS-Musicsoftware *: simply All ...
* VST/AU *: All MOTU-Plugs, all AAS-Plugs, NI FM8 & P5 & B4, Arturia Moog V & MiniMoog & CS80 & Arp 2600, ImpOscar, Korg digital & analog Edition, CMS Hall & Masterplugs, Cakewalk DimensionPro & Rapture, Waldorf Edition, Synapse Dune and more
* REFILLS *: Over 98 GB of "Original"-ReFills (Props / Soundcells / Reasonbanks / SonicR. / Mirosl. / SonicF. / Synth X ... ... Mostly use own programmed Sounds) - * RE´s *: Some ...
* - Propellerhead-User since ReBirth (Steinberg), Reason-/ReCycle-User since V.1 - * / since 1986 Progr. / Develop. / BTest / Brainst

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2013-01-03, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseydeclaire View Post
We have same issue on some I-macs with other USB-Audiointerfaces too (example VRM). And the problem will be harder if we connect same time an "FireWire" (800 to 400 standardcable) Interface. Than sometimes I-Mac crashs.
Interesting. I do have a couple of firewire devices connected as well. Will be trying to connect via a powered USB hub when I get home. Fingers crossed.
Old 2013-01-04, 01:01

And the result... drumroll please...

It appears that I was over-taxing the USB bus power with the Balance. After moving the Balance to a powered USB hub, it works exactly as expected. In other words, when the computer is off, the Balance is off. When the computer is on, the Balance turns on.

So... for anyone having similar trouble, before anything else try connecting the Balance to a powered USB hub.

Thanks to everyone for helping out, and thanks to Propellerhead for the support.