Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-05, 15:55

Arrow PX7 synth rack ext... good or bad??

I'm still new to synths at the moment so I'm having trouble knowing whether PX7 is worth the money.
For those of you who are more experienced with synths and have tried out PX7, do you reckon I should buy it?? and maybe also tell me some good and bad points about it please :]

Also, if you don't think PX7 is a good synth to buy, should I go for Rob Papen Predator instead, or maybe something else?? (I don't want another analog synth, just got antidote)

YOUTUBE - FRIZZLO |-| TWITTER - FRIZZLO
Old 2013-01-05, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzlo View Post
I'm still new to synths at the moment so I'm having trouble knowing whether PX7 is worth the money.
For those of you who are more experienced with synths and have tried out PX7, do you reckon I should buy it?? and maybe also tell me some good and bad points about it please :]

Also, if you don't think PX7 is a good synth to buy, should I go for Rob Papen Predator instead, or maybe something else?? (I don't want another analog synth, just got antidote)
I think its very good. Bought it direct after its release in shop (But know DX7 since many, many years, so I know what I get with this one). It´s absolutly worth that price. And there are a big bunch of free sounds on the market btw. you can find here in the forum.

But please, test it out yourselve (30 day´s free testing RE)!!!! And if you don´t test the other RE´s, download them all and compare ;-)

It´s really another kind of sound like Predator & Antidote and all the other stuff. So, I think nobody can tell you what´s the better deal for you.
* MAC & PC *: Reason / Recycle / Reason Ess. (7.01 / 2 / 2.01), Ableton Live-Suite 8, Harrison Mixbus 2.3.1, Reaper, ReNoise, MuTools, Energy-XT, MOTU BPM (with / and all Plugs from MOTU), MakeMusic Finale 2012, NanoStudio - * PC *: Samplitude Pro (Favo on PC !), Cakewalk: Project 5 / Sonar XPro, FL-Studio (complete with many of those Plugs) - * MAC *: LogicPro 9.18, MOTU DP 7.24 (My Favo on MAC) - * Apple IOS-Musicsoftware *: simply All ...
* VST/AU *: All MOTU-Plugs, all AAS-Plugs, NI FM8 & P5 & B4, Arturia Moog V & MiniMoog & CS80 & Arp 2600, ImpOscar, Korg digital & analog Edition, CMS Hall & Masterplugs, Cakewalk DimensionPro & Rapture, Waldorf Edition, Synapse Dune and more
* REFILLS *: Over 98 GB of "Original"-ReFills (Props / Soundcells / Reasonbanks / SonicR. / Mirosl. / SonicF. / Synth X ... ... Mostly use own programmed Sounds) - * RE´s *: Some ...
* - Propellerhead-User since ReBirth (Steinberg), Reason-/ReCycle-User since V.1 - * / since 1986 Progr. / Develop. / BTest / Brainst

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2013-01-05, 16:43

That's a tight track. Who's doing the vocals?
Old 2013-01-05, 18:36

if you just bought antidote then you wont really need predator but the px7 could provide you with a whole new range of sounds particuly good for that 80's vibe thats going around at the moment (drive sound track) and dubstep bass plus there are litterally 10's of thousands of free patches flying around I got one refill with 70,000 patches in it
Old 2013-01-06, 00:53

@alternating.bit which track dude??

YOUTUBE - FRIZZLO |-| TWITTER - FRIZZLO
Old 2013-01-06, 01:26

You cannot go wrong with the PX7. It is easier to program than the DX7 but still challenging. However, it is out of the gates a very well supported synth with the patch conversion utility making over 100,000 patches immediately available to you. FM is an acquired taste for many but more versatile than many give it credit for. If you want some pretty wild sounds then definitely its the synth you want. If you are looking for something to start creating your own.... you may want to think about it for a few more days.
Old 2013-01-06, 07:14

A common complaint is that only a tiny portion of its parameters is automatable. Other than that, it's a powerful FM synth with a massive library of presets.

That said, it depends on whether you like the sound of FM or not. Personally, I find 9 out of 10 FM presets sounding cheezy and shallow, so it's not my cup of tea.
Old 2013-01-06, 19:56

I the great thing in PX7 is that possible load sysex of all the synt of yamaha serie DX , I have use all this synth and the sound it's the same.
Also , the FM synthesis is the mother of all other synthesis , and is a good point for start new sound.
BUONA MUSICA
Old 2013-01-07, 11:02

Smile

Ce synth est fabuleux. je me réveille le matin pour l'utiliser ! Pour moi le meilleur de reason. *

* This synth's fabulous. I Wake up early morning for use it ! For me the best of all Reason's instruments.
Old 2013-01-07, 11:58

You'll have to judge for yourself whether or not the sound is right for you, but as other people have said this is currently *the* FM synth in Reason, and if you want to learn how to make patches for it (it's not as easy as Antidote or even Thor) or if you can find existing patches that you like, then it's a great addition to your rack.

If you're really not sure what you like yet though, and you want to explore a lot of different sounds, you might also check out some Refills in addition to Rack Extensions. Stuff like Fairlight Platinum (or even one of the smaller and cheaper versions you can find on the same site) for example. It's based on the Fairlight synths, but there's a wide variety of patches there, and there are also samples from a bunch of other instruments, including the DX7 (which the PX7 is based on).

If you like the sounds you hear from either the DX7 or PX7 then give it a try for yourself.