Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-06, 03:53

Question What do you think of my track?

I have recently completed a track, and although I can hear it still needs some mixing, it is done. My mixing skill are very coarse, and under improvement you might say

Let me know where there could be changes to the volume, what instruments are being drowned in others, etc.

I have to admit I did rush the ending way to much, but I sadly grew impatient and ran out of ideas, but I hope you will enjoy it anyway

https://soundcloud.com/weicher/weich...mental-world-1

Could use a Reason mentor.

The gear I use for production:

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4
Shure SRH 940 studio headphones.

I do not own that many RE's since I believe that everything I need, are already inside Reason.
Old 2013-01-06, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csw91 View Post
I have recently completed a track, and although I can hear it still needs some mixing, it is done. My mixing skill are very coarse, and under improvement you might say

Let me know where there could be changes to the volume, what instruments are being drowned in others, etc.

I have to admit I did rush the ending way to much, but I sadly grew impatient and ran out of ideas, but I hope you will enjoy it anyway

https://soundcloud.com/weicher/weich...mental-world-1
Sounds like you're on the right track to me. The drums could use a bigger punch. What version of reason do you have
Old 2013-01-06, 15:30

It were on purpose I lowered the drums, because at some places in the track, it were too dominating, so I to lower it a bit on the volume.

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

I do not own that many RE's since I believe that everything I need, are already inside Reason.
Old 2013-01-06, 15:32

I actually sense places where the reverb could use a bit turning down, but thats just me.

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

Old 2013-01-06, 23:46

It sounds okay but I honestly don't know much about trance. I thought it could use a few more dramatic effects maybe? I thought the kick was good enough. I am not into rating a piece of music based on the mix. I liked the synth sound and you provided plenty of breaks too. I couldn't notice anything that would indicate that the end of it was rushed so you must have done something right.
Old 2013-01-07, 16:58

Thank you very much But the end were sort of rushed. I can hear it, and I know it since I made it :P But what I would love to be better at, is to make a better dynamic range, since I feel the instruments are drowning each-other!

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

Old 2013-01-07, 17:51

Thumbs up

Before I start, this is pure opinion, I'm no guru (listening to my shit makes that patently obvious) and I wouldn't expect you to take what I say as Gospel, but...

Overall it's a good track, if you're having trouble with the mix sounding 'muddy' or instruments cancelling each other try and carve some space for them using the HP/LP filters and pan pots on the SSL strip. If that can't be done then I would reconsider your choice of instrument/timbre and perhaps tweak the synth or start over with a new one more suitable to the dynamic landscape of the track.

As for the kick; I'd maybe layer it with something to give it a little 'click' up front to fetch it out a tad in the mix, it seems to have a lot of sub dynamics in the tail too so maybe curb that ever so slightly. I would also side chain virtually everything, not to cause any pumping (the SC you have after the first drop is cool though), just a subtle bit of ducking to gibve the kick more room without upping the volume/velocity.

The arrangement is OK, but I think the two big breakdowns are in some respects, arse about face. The first one has a good build-up to the drop, but the second one kinda just poodles along without any real climax, as such the drop is relatively insignificant - whereas this second drop should be massive.

In essence, I'd swap the two main breaks round (in terms of what they are up to dynamically), the first one doesn't need to be as big, build-up/drop-wise, it's just a bit of breathing space for the dance-floor to having just come out of the climax of the previous track and mixed into this one. I'd also pull it forward a bit in the arrangement.

In terms of the drop, I'd also add a beat or so of near silence/radical filtering to magnify the drop when it comes.

Incidentally, a track of that length I would expect the first and last 16/32 bars to be minimal for mixing in/out. A radio edit might come in with the 'intro' you have, but then only run for 3' 30"-4'.00". In terms of a remix/EP you can do what you want - which you can anyway, it's your track.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
Old 2013-01-07, 19:26

The information you gave me, will serve me well I need this kind of stuff, and nobody I know really gives a shit about my music xD Really frustrating, so it's nice to hear it from a stranger!

Although it is a lot of information, and some of it didn't I really catch, but I will look into it soon

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

Old 2013-01-07, 19:35

I were thinking. Could I make more dynamic range with the SSL gating panel?

Balance.
ADAM A7X monitors
Nektar Panorama P4

Old 2013-01-08, 18:37

I like the track over all. My only issue would be the flow from one chord progression to the next; the dissonance kinda threw off my flow. It actually feels like 2 different tracks altogether; I would personally separate them and have 2 wonderful tunes.

Keep up what you enjoy doing regardless of anything I just wrote.