Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-06, 18:59

Question Can anyone help me? I'm starting to loose the will...!

Basically I've already asked about this and got some help but I'm not anywhere nearer to solving my problem so I'm gunna ask again.

So, I wanna make some tutorial videos on youtube about reason, just synth patches and advice about using it etc. I have a Scarlett 2i2 interface and I'm using camstudio screen capture software.

My mic and headphone are both plugged into the Scarlett and when I open reason its outputting correctly through the Scarlett and I can hear the mic and synths clearly through my headphones.

When I hit the record button on camstudio it records the screen perfectly and is able to detect and record my mic, so on playback of the video I can hear myself talking. However it is unable to detect any sounds coming from reason, so on playback of the recording reason make no noise at all even though it is outputting and I can hear everything through my headphones.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong?

I believe the problem lies with camstudio and other programs I've tried (Camtasia, Audacity, Sound Forge etc) are assuming that the audio will be coming from the PC sound card and not from a usb device, ie the Scarlett. So all of them can record my mic but not the outputs from reason.

I could make reason output through my PC sound card and record 'windows stereo mix' but then I cant use my mic and the sound quality will be worse. And surely everyone else making tutorial videos wouldn't be faffing around like that?

So PLEASE! can anyone help?
Old 2013-01-06, 19:24

I can't help with your internal sound issue, but what if you were to record all your video and reason sounds in one take. Then record an over-dub with your voice through your microphone. Sync that up in whatever video program you're using and you're good to go.

T
Old 2013-01-06, 21:02

You can use Reason to record your mic & Reason sounds at the same time.

Do this by creating an audio track to record the mic, and another audio track to record the master output.

To avoid mixing the mic back into the master output, just route that audio track direct out to an unused output on the back of the rack.

What this will give you is your voice on one track, and your Reason sounds on another.

Since you can arm & start recording both tracks at once, they will be in sync when you import the wave files into CamStudio.
Old 2013-01-06, 21:47

Its funny i have the same issue, i found a way but the sound wasnt good enough.

reasoner498 that sounds like something that could work well enough. Im going to try that out right away.
Old 2013-01-06, 22:34

To take some load off the main machine (esp when doing audio) I'd suggest recording the actual video and audio on another machine, e.g. via remote desktop. Then it should also be easier to get the actual audio output. Else yeah, go with some virtual audio interface software (Jack, Soundflower etc.)
Old 2013-01-06, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
Its funny i have the same issue, i found a way but the sound wasnt good enough.

reasoner498 that sounds like something that could work well enough. Im going to try that out right away.
It doesnt work either, the audio channel for the main output does show activity in the mixer, but it doesnt allow me to record it because its not a proper selectable audio source in the audio channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
To take some load off the main machine (esp when doing audio) I'd suggest recording the actual video and audio on another machine, e.g. via remote desktop. Then it should also be easier to get the actual audio output. Else yeah, go with some virtual audio interface software (Jack, Soundflower etc.)
They all have the same issue, no trick works. I tried many things none work. They all just are not able to record the main output of the soundboard i use. (Projectmix IO)
Old 2013-01-07, 01:16

Quote:
They all have the same issue, no trick works. I tried many things none work. They all just are not able to record the main output of the soundboard i use. (Projectmix IO)
Well you have to use the Jack interface and route in your real audio interface via jack.
Old 2013-01-07, 02:01

I'm not sure how your software works, but with ScreenFlow there are two audio sources and two video sources. For audio I record the built in mic and the computer audio (Reason). For video I record the built in camera and the screen. Later I record the VO track based on editing and re-recording what I recorded on the built in mic.

But if you want it all in one go, plug your mic into Reason and monitor that audio track, then you only have to record is what comes out of Reason. :-)
USA
Old 2013-01-07, 03:42

Quote:
It doesnt work either, the audio channel for the main output does show activity in the mixer, but it doesnt allow me to record it because its not a proper selectable audio source in the audio channel.
On the master section, near the meter, click the "rec source" button.

Then it will appear as an input for the audio track.
Old 2013-01-07, 06:38

Whenever I use livestream to do my live Reason broadcast I have a work around that works. Livestream has a similar issue where it only detects the input of the 2i2 (I own the same audio interface) so I know exactally what you are talking about.
Here's what you'll have to do.... You'll need a seperate mixer, a stereo 1/4" to mono L&R, 4 1/4" cables.
How to wire it up. Plug the stereo 1/4' to mono L&R 1/4" into the headphone output, connect 2 1/4" cables to the mono L&R and the mixer, plug your mic into the mixer and wire the output of the mixing into the output of the 2i2.
It's quite a workaround but it was the only think I could think of. If anyone has a better solution I'm all ears. I'd love to take the mixer I bought back and get my money back if I could.