Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-06, 23:52

What bit rate and sample depth should I use in this case

I generally record with a usb mixer which is 16 bit which acts as my interface (ZED 10 fx), however a while back I sampled stuff into an audio editor and exported at 24 bit and 48 khz , now I usually stick to 24 bit and 44 khz whenever sampling stuff into reason from other programs. Am I ok mixing these (24 bit 48 khz samples in NNXT with other 24 bit 44 khz samples in another NNXT as well as recording 16 bit audio into the computer)?

Should I be concerned? If so, why? and could you please provide some suggestions as to what I should do?
Old 2013-01-07, 07:26

the bit depth difference between 16 and 24 bit shouldn't be too much of an issue, at-least not a majorly noticeable one as long as you keep your samples and recordings at the same sampling rate (44.1khz should be fine in this case) imo.

Last edited by QVprod; 2013-01-07 at 07:29.
Old 2013-01-07, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
the bit depth difference between 16 and 24 bit shouldn't be too much of an issue, at-least not a majorly noticeable one as long as you keep your samples and recordings at the same sampling rate (44.1khz should be fine in this case) imo.
Ok cool but the main problem is that I have a bunch of 48 khz samples as well that may be in projects with 44.1 khz. What problems can I expect from this? and should I just convert them or can I set reason to just do that for me when I import them?
Old 2013-01-07, 23:13

You typically want to have your sampling and bit rates higher than the rates of any audio you use in a session to avoid Jitter or time syncing issues, but since you're only using them as samples it might be okay as long as you don't audibly hear any issues. but to be on the safe side it might be best to convert them down from 48k to 441k. I'm honestly not too sure that Reason does this automatically on import.
Old 2013-01-08, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
You typically want to have your sampling and bit rates higher than the rates of any audio you use in a session to avoid Jitter or time syncing issues, but since you're only using them as samples it might be okay as long as you don't audibly hear any issues. but to be on the safe side it might be best to convert them down from 48k to 441k. I'm honestly not too sure that Reason does this automatically on import.
Oh Ok thanks allot for clearing that up, I hope someone has an answer to that last part though here...
Old 2013-01-08, 10:18

Reason has quite the easy sample rate conversion.
you can change sample rate while your song is playing, without a hitch!
I did not understand what you were asking about originally, but I'd say with Reason samplerates are not an issue (at least in my experience). So if you do sampling, you'll want the highest samplerate, because it allows the most accurate changes with the least destruction of the sound. In other words a sound that is sampled 96000 times a second is displayed way more accurately than at 44.100 times a second. So if you do any pitching or stretching, the higher samplerates will help the accuracy of the sound.

btw. as far as I understand it is impossible to have different samplerates in Reason at the same time, as it converts everything to session rate on import automatically, plus it always uses the highest bit depth available from your interface.
Old 2013-01-08, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMOMs View Post
Reason has quite the easy sample rate conversion.
you can change sample rate while your song is playing, without a hitch!
I did not understand what you were asking about originally, but I'd say with Reason samplerates are not an issue (at least in my experience). So if you do sampling, you'll want the highest samplerate, because it allows the most accurate changes with the least destruction of the sound. In other words a sound that is sampled 96000 times a second is displayed way more accurately than at 44.100 times a second. So if you do any pitching or stretching, the higher samplerates will help the accuracy of the sound.

btw. as far as I understand it is impossible to have different samplerates in Reason at the same time, as it converts everything to session rate on import automatically, plus it always uses the highest bit depth available from your interface.

Are you sure? For example I can load an nnxt factory sound bank patch which says on the nnxt display that they are 16 bit 44.1 khz and then I can load another nnxt which says my samples are 24 bit 48 khz....? Are they still converting anyways or something? That was my main issue, I havve a bunch of samples, some with different bit depths and sample rates and I am wondering if there are dangers in using them within one reason project.....
Old 2013-01-08, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz70 View Post
Are you sure? For example I can load an nnxt factory sound bank patch which says on the nnxt display that they are 16 bit 44.1 khz and then I can load another nnxt which says my samples are 24 bit 48 khz....? Are they still converting anyways or something? That was my main issue, I havve a bunch of samples, some with different bit depths and sample rates and I am wondering if there are dangers in using them within one reason project.....
well from what I understand the Samplerate you set in the Audio preferences acts as a master.
therefore, when you load a 24 Bit 48k sample in a 16 bit 44.1k session, obviously the sample rate will still be the one being set in the preferences.