Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-06, 21:52

Beginner problems: Using a midi keyboard with Reason

Hey all, I'm new here and new to recording in general really. I just bought a Behringer UMX610 to use with Reason, but I'm getting a little latency when I use it with reason.

I'm sure this is simple stuff to you guys, but I'm completely new at this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

At the moment I'm just connecting the keyboard to my computer via USB connection. Is this bad for latency? Should I be connecting it via some other method?

Also, the keyboard came with an audio interface. Don't know what one of these is, but would this help me?

Would be very grateful if somebody could spare the time to talk a beginner like me through my problems.

Thanks all!
Old 2013-01-06, 23:00

Firstly, welcome to the wrong forum, but welcome. The User forum is a better place for this kind of question.
Your latency is most likely because you're not using an audio interface. Your PC's onboard sound is not likely to be ASIO compliant.
An audio interface is a geek term for a sound card.

From the blurb about your keyboard...
As an added bonus, also included is Behringer's UCA222 USB Audio Interface to access your PC or Mac computer?s audio capability. You can use the UCA222 to connect sound modules directly to any free computer USB port and listen to either the input or output signal via headphones or through active studio monitors. The UCA222 also features an additional S/PDIF optical output for direct digital conversion and is completely powered via USB - no external power supply needed. With its dual analog mono inputs, any line-level device, such as a mixer or tape deck, can be connected hassle-free to your computer....

So plugging some speakers or headphones into your keyboard and selecting it as your audio device might be a better option. ASIO is the key here.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2013-01-06, 23:15

Many thanks, friend!

Thanks for the forum tip too, I'll head over to the User Forum!

Old 2013-01-07, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmacaskill View Post
Many thanks, friend!

Thanks for the forum tip too, I'll head over to the User Forum!

I run two sound cards on my mac, and when I play through my onboard card everything is perfectly synced, but when I play through my USB external, the sound on my keys is delayed even though it plugs into a separate usb port. I switched from PC to Mac because NOTHING I did gave me adequate timing until I went to a mac. My USB Mic had the same exact delay until I went mac too.
Old 2013-01-07, 08:59

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedbutton View Post
Firstly, welcome to the wrong forum, but welcome.
LOL.

I hope they give you the elite membership discount or something, you have a lot of badges =)