Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you like to have the option to bounce (export) to MP3?
Yes 38 74.51%
No 13 25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-01-09, 14:23

Lightbulb Vote for "Export" to MP3

I would hope that this is already in the works, but if not I figured I would start a poll to try to bring it to their attention. I don't know about you guys, but having the option to export your projects straight to an MP3 would be a huge time saver for me.

Last edited by Statx; 2013-01-09 at 14:27.
Old 2013-01-09, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statx View Post
I would hope that this is already in the works, but if not I figured I would start a poll to try to bring it to their attention. I don't know about you guys, but having the option to bounce your projects straight to an MP3 would be a huge time saver for me.
while it certainly would be time saving, I believe I have read several times on this Forum that MP3 support is not likely to happen, because Props would have to pay royalties in order to use it, which means also we the users have to pay for it.
However these statements did not come from props directly (IIRC) but from users, so of course the reality might be something completely different.
Then of course there are many people who say something along the lines of "If you use Mp3 you have crappy ears, because MP3 sounds like a house of shit compressed into a car!!!!1!!?11!) or something like that.
I don't know if I'd use an MP3 support feature, but it would be nice to have the option.
Old 2013-01-09, 14:40

I choose not to vote. I wouldn't mind the feature, I can't see any problems in having the option so I am not against it. However, it is not something 'I' would personally like to have in Reason. I have absolutely zero need for this feature at the moment and I don't think I'll ever need it, but once again, I am not against it.
Old 2013-01-09, 14:57

Doesn't Figure have export to mp3? Are the costs for paying for mp3 format for a $1 program killing them? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 2013-01-09, 15:05

I would rather have the option to embed information and artwork into the final export before they introduce mp3 export. It can all be done in itunes but could be much easier if it's just done straight from reason.
Having said that I don't think this is a priority at the moment and I'm not too bothered because this is possible externally but other requests like proper grouping, midi out and recycle integration are much more important for reason to move forward
Old 2013-01-09, 15:09

MP3 isn't that important to me. It's easy enough to import everything in to iTunes and have it in a format I actually use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep View Post
I would rather have the option to embed information and artwork into the final export before they introduce mp3 export.
I'd kill for a lyric sheet option.
Old 2013-01-09, 15:11

we can say that although it is not essential is a very convenient when you have to send a demo especially if a mastering has been done already within reason. I would be bored to use an external editor while millions of other sequencers can export to mp3.
it is imperative that this feature is implemented as soon as possible!

Reason 7.0.1 / Mac Pro 8 core 16 gigabyte Ram / M-Audio Firewire 410 / Studio UAD Solo 2 Quad / Behringer BCF2000 / Ua Distressor / Yamaha HFS80/ Blamsoft Resampler / Bitspeek LPC Vocoder / Ozone Maximizer / Rough Compressor / Softube FET / RPdistort Effect / RPsubboombass / Synapse Antidote / Korg Polysix / Quadelectra Stereo Splitter / Selig Curve / ReQ131

https://facebook.com/lemecdj
https://twitter.com/karimlemecdj
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.youtube.com/user/kynziomusic
Old 2013-01-09, 16:25

The IIRC royalty for MP3 conversion is new news to me, but not surprising at all. GS1US and ISRC have an equal firm grip on the music industry's b@lls. I did a little research and if I'm understanding the IIRC royalty correctly a software developer would have to pay between $1.25 and $6.25 to add an MP3 codec and decoder to their software. They could possibly add it as a separate download from their shop for users who want the option. It would basically work like a plug-in and eliminate having to charge users who didn't want or need the option. Anyway, I agree that it's not the highest priority as far as features needed, but most of the things I would like to see already have multiple posts in this forum.

I'm surprised that anyone would actually vote "no" for any new feature in Reason, whether you would actually use it at this point or not. Have any of you "no voters" ever wanted to get a quick export of your tracks for any reason? Bouncing an MP3 to a thumb drive to take it with you on the go... Quick burn to CD without having to open iTunes and convert (which I'm sure you know leaves you with a WAV/AIFF and an MP3 file)... Passing rough ideas through DropBox... I dunno, maybe I listen to my unfinished mixes on my phone and in the car and everywhere else to get ideas more than the average person. I know that this feature is very helpful in Pro Tools, not to mention it's recent integration with SoundCloud (which should be a whole other post in itself).

I'm just one of those Reason users that gets annoyed when these features are missing because I feel like Reason is, or has the potential to be, a better DAW. Speaking of potential... I will never master anything in Reason until they integrate some kind of spectrum analyzer/true mastering RE (Most likely from iZotope at a hefty price) but that's just me. I also agree with @VillaNDubstep about adding artwork and all of that, too. Just give me all of the options that iTunes and a lot of other DAW's have. There's a reason that this option exists pretty much everywhere else!

Sorry for the long reply. What sounds like a detailed rant is just the side effects of an early morning coffee overdose... back to making music now
Old 2013-01-09, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
I choose not to vote. I wouldn't mind the feature, I can't see any problems in having the option so I am not against it. However, it is not something 'I' would personally like to have in Reason. I have absolutely zero need for this feature at the moment and I don't think I'll ever need it, but once again, I am not against it.
Ditto. I'm not against it, per se, but I'd rather not have to pay extra for a licenced addition that I probably would never use (I can already achieve this elsewhere - so what if it adds 2-3 minutes to the process. Plus, I'd rather Props dedicate their development time and budget to something else.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC

Last edited by TheFatControlleR; 2013-01-09 at 16:41.
Old 2013-01-09, 20:24

+1 Another no brainer imho, geez...