Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-12-15, 07:08

Balance Issues

Anyone here fighting with the Balance? For supposedly being so simple to use I'm really having a hard time getting it to work. I've been running around the Reason help files and trying to do searches on propellerhead and google and can't find any good troubleshooting info. I've been trying to find some Balance specific documentation so I can troubleshoot myself without dealing with a dozen email exchanges from support. The lack of information is really frustrating.

I have the Balance all setup with Reason and the ASIO driver doesn't really work at all. I havn't been able to hear anything more that a second or so of sound from the Balance. I'm starting to get mad and going from the "what am I doing wrong" to "what's wrong with this device."
Old 2011-12-15, 08:51

Spent another hour fooling around. I'm getting a signal from my guitar, enough to use the tuner to tune it, and even got a half second guitar strum sound before it cut out. It seems when I go into preferences and use the Balance Reason doesn't function at all now.
Old 2011-12-15, 11:25

Try downloading the latest version of Essentials (1.0.1) from here, which also comes with a newer driver for Balance.

Old 2011-12-15, 11:27
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiley View Post
Spent another hour fooling around. I'm getting a signal from my guitar, enough to use the tuner to tune it, and even got a half second guitar strum sound before it cut out. It seems when I go into preferences and use the Balance Reason doesn't function at all now.
Make sure you have Balance plugged in to a USB2 slot, not USB1 or USB3. Also download Reason Essentials 1.0.1 from the downloads page and make sure you use that.

Please also log a case with our product support and they'll get to you as soon as they can!
Old 2011-12-15, 11:35

Is there a separate download link for the updated driver only, for those of us that use Balance with Reason 6 and don't want to download the whole Essentials package?
Old 2011-12-15, 15:32
Propellerhead

twiley: I have your support case and will do my best to help. It's of course bad how it hasn't worked for you. Yours is the only report so far of failure in the manner you describe.

Hypothalamus: are you also having some issue with Balance?

A updated driver will available for download soon, but it only fixes the known issue with sample rate mismatch when mixing windows/browser audio with ASIO on Windows 7, avoiding pitch changes in the sound.

Other than that there are no maintenance versions of the driver currently.
Old 2011-12-15, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
Hypothalamus: are you also having some issue with Balance?
No, it's working like a charm. Love it!
Old 2012-10-10, 00:28

Help Please
I also have Balance issues. I am running 6.5 on a macbook pro. If I use my condenser mic, sometimes it may record for a few seconds but it will then cut out with a message saying that a usb device is drawing too much power and device is now disconnected. This only happens when I use phantom power.
If I use a Sm58 it will maybe work sometimes through a recording other times a few seconds and will the just cut out completely, no message apart from audio device stopped working. This is really frustrating. I had vocalist round tonight and Spent a good while trying to get it to work. In the end I had to use my nio 2/4 interface instead. Any ideas? I'd rather use the balance because of the. preamp, either way it is an expensive ornament at the moment.
Old 2013-01-12, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiley View Post
Anyone here fighting with the Balance? For supposedly being so simple to use I'm really having a hard time getting it to work. I've been running around the Reason help files and trying to do searches on propellerhead and google and can't find any good troubleshooting info. I've been trying to find some Balance specific documentation so I can troubleshoot myself without dealing with a dozen email exchanges from support. The lack of information is really frustrating.

I have the Balance all setup with Reason and the ASIO driver doesn't really work at all. I havn't been able to hear anything more that a second or so of sound from the Balance. I'm starting to get mad and going from the "what am I doing wrong" to "what's wrong with this device."
I have also been having issues. I can ONLY hear things in Reason [Essentials] but cannot use Balance stand-alone at all.
Anyways, did you check:
1. the computer's own internal ASIO settings, are they set properly?
2. the "Mute/Direct Monitoring" button on Balance
3. create an audio track; the external audio sources aren't working either?
Old 2013-01-14, 12:04
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrhead View Post
Help Please
If I use my condenser mic, sometimes it may record for a few seconds but it will then cut out with a message saying that a usb device is drawing too much power and device is now disconnected. This only happens when I use phantom power.
paulrhead: If you still have a power drain issue, please send us a e-mail support case.

I had missed this post back in October.
I hope Paul got the issues sorted, I can not find a support case in his name.
Some computers don't consistently provide enough power in the USB port, and Balance requires the maximum power all the time when it is started. A sure workaround is to connect it through a powered USB 2.0 hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imunybvtcr View Post
I can ONLY hear things in Reason [Essentials] but cannot use Balance stand-alone at all.
That is very strange. Since you mention ASIO, I guess you are using Windows. Have you installed Balance drivers version 1.1.0? Here's the link: http://www.propellerheads.se/downloa...alance-drivers

If you can use Balance from Reason (Is that Balance ASIO?), maybe the driver installation went wrong somehow. To be sure, first uninstall all Balance drivers from Control Panel -> Programs, then install the latest drivers.

If the drivers are installed and you can still only use Balance from Reason Essentials, then please send us a e-mail support case. I'll report any findings back in this thread.