Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-14, 01:06

Becoming a Rack Extension Developer

I spent the last half an hour mucking about on the site trying to find a way to contact the Props about more exact requirements for becoming an RE developer. I've got a ton of concepts and ideas for REs but from the scarce amount of info regarding precisely what sort of company can register for the SDK, I have no idea how to proceed.

For instance, I don't know if I should register my own limited company here in Canada and apply with that, or if I should try to talk the place I work for into it (they're a business incubator that deals with all sorts of cool IT related projects).

Is there anywhere I could find some more detailed information about who can and can't become an RE developer? Is it really as simple as "must have a legally registered company of some sort in your country"?

Cheers!
Old 2013-01-14, 01:09

Anyone can get the SDK, being a company is just a requirement to sell through the shop (tax thing). Does that help?
Old 2013-01-14, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcifer View Post
Anyone can get the SDK, being a company is just a requirement to sell through the shop (tax thing). Does that help?
Yes it does, thank you. I had considered it might have something to do with legal requirements for selling stuff coupled with not wanting to support developers who weren't 'serious' - they offer free support to RE devs afterall, but I wasn't at all sure.
Old 2013-01-14, 01:59

What are your RE ideas?
Old 2013-01-14, 02:25

i'd suggest starting a company so *you* own the rights going forward - even if you seek some funding from the company you work for and they own a share of it.

it shouldn't be super expensive to setup an LLC, or whatever the canadian equivalent is.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RĂ˜DE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2013-01-14, 03:51

Quote:
What are your RE ideas?
Nice try competitor.

Old 2013-01-14, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner498 View Post
Nice try competitor.

Well as everyone knows, ideas are a dime a dozen. Now the *doing* bit on the other hand, that's what's important! My rack extension idea is pretty simple - I'm tired of Thor's limitations regarding number of oscillator inputs, and as I've found out tonight, trying to output Thor's oscillators to a mixer and then back into another Thor to complete their filter run is just a God damned nightmare. I'm stuck on trying to get the amp envelopes to work with polyphony. Thus my idea is an additive synthesizer with more bloody oscillators! Of course, the cost of implementation would be far higher than just buying an RE from the shop (I'm looking at YOU Antidote), but I've always wanted to get into digital signal processing so hey, why not?

Last edited by joebeard; 2013-01-14 at 07:01.
Old 2013-01-14, 18:14

I'd offer to help code, if I could.
Old 2013-01-14, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeard View Post
I spent the last half an hour mucking about on the site trying to find a way to contact the Props about more exact requirements for becoming an RE developer. I've got a ton of concepts and ideas for REs but from the scarce amount of info regarding precisely what sort of company can register for the SDK, I have no idea how to proceed.

For instance, I don't know if I should register my own limited company here in Canada and apply with that, or if I should try to talk the place I work for into it (they're a business incubator that deals with all sorts of cool IT related projects).

Is there anywhere I could find some more detailed information about who can and can't become an RE developer? Is it really as simple as "must have a legally registered company of some sort in your country"?

Cheers!
Companies interested in developing their own Rack Extensions can register at
www.propellerheads.se/developer

and http://www.propellerheads.se/develop...extensions.php
Old 2013-01-15, 01:01

Quote:
I'd offer to help code, if I could.
A coder doesn't need to register their own company. If some registers a company they can then add devs as long as they have a props account and they are under the NDA signed by the company.

Last edited by n0ahg; 2013-01-15 at 01:04.