Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-13, 20:44
Rockman245

Mastering Help

Hey Guys,

So! I'm currently making some music and although I feel like I am learning a lot there is one part I feel I am lacking much in, which would be the mastering section. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of helpful tips, or any videos you can recommend or web articles.

As of right now I have what it sounds in reason but I would hope for it to sound like the end of this video

http://youtu.be/Ni0h9RgG-X8

Which is more professional and Higher Quality.

Thanks
Rockman
Old 2013-01-13, 21:17

There are some things mastering cannot fix and things do need to be addressed in the mix. Ever heard of garbage in equals garbage out? If you master a mix that has issues there's only so much mastering can do. Have you look for an affordable online mastering service? The are some I've seen as low as 16$ a track. Mastering is best left to the pros.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:45

I agree with djphathead, really what matters is your mixing before you deal with mastering. Practice cutting frequencies so all your sounds have a place to breathe.... that's been the biggest tip I've learned. Google the free "Guide to Mixing" by Nick Thomas it's really good.

And beware about super-cheap online mastering services. You really do get what you pay for. If you pay $16 a track whoever is mastering isn't going to spend more than 10 or 15 minutes on your song and good mastering is hard.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-01-14, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrace View Post
I agree with djphathead, really what matters is your mixing before you deal with mastering. Practice cutting frequencies so all your sounds have a place to breathe.... that's been the biggest tip I've learned. Google the free "Guide to Mixing" by Nick Thomas it's really good.

And beware about super-cheap online mastering services. You really do get what you pay for. If you pay $16 a track whoever is mastering isn't going to spend more than 10 or 15 minutes on your song and good mastering is hard.
I think if someone has no idea what their doing when it comes to mastering there better off paying 16$ then doing it them self.
Old 2013-01-14, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
I think if someone has no idea what their doing when it comes to mastering there better off paying 16$ then doing it them self.
You could be right. It would be an interesting experiment to send a track to one of these people and then put a mastering combi on the same track cranked up and see which one comes out better.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-01-14, 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrace View Post

Further to what carlgrace has said (the equalisation is probably the most important thing) a little bit of compression goes a long way as well. If you put a bus compressor with a ratio of between 2.0-4.0 ratio with a short attack and a long release it tends to give a bit more clarity in the more heavily saturated frequencies.

Also there is also the option of sidechain compression for kicks/snares that you particularly want to punch through the mix. Here's a tutorial that might help
It's a bit of a contentious issue though as a lot of masterers prefer to receive a mix without side chain compression as they have special space brains which make them much better equipped to do this kind of thing than us meager humans. I'd only really recommend it wholeheartedly where you're trying to make the punchy synth sounds that are common in EDM. It's always good to experiment with these things though. I often find that heavy side chaining can be really useful for combining different drum lines that might be clashing both rhythmically and sonically otherwise.

Hope that's been of some help.

Alex
Old 2013-01-14, 08:50

I posted a video on my livestream channel about how to make sure your compression is helping your sounds or not. www.livestream.com/djfm1983 the video is called A/B compression comparison.
Old 2013-01-14, 14:36
Rockman245

Okay, Thank you guys. I'm planning on learning everything I could to be more well rounded and get the exact sound I want. Thanks.