Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-14, 05:29

Need to convert song to MIDI?

I recorded this awesome song using my Reason 5 software on my original desktop computer, but later upgraded to a bigger memory spaced desktop computer that I installed Reason 5 to again. Problem is, I no longer have the song on the other computer (memory was cleaned out by computer fixer) and the only copies of the song I have are on cd disc.

I tried re-creating the song using my new computer, however, I modified one of the synth sounds and I can't figure out exactly how I got it sounding the same way it sounds on the cd disc version. So, I decided to use NNX Advanced sampler...but it looks like it only supports MIDI files.

Is there any way around this (I've googled for a WAVE/MP3 to MIDI converter online but with no working results) or does anyone know of a working converter so I can import the file to my current reason software? Your help is appreciated to this noob...
Old 2013-01-14, 06:49

NNXT doesn't work with MIDI files. NNXT works with samples (either .WAV or .AIFF). If you convert your MP3 to a WAV, you can play the whole track back in an NNXT, but you can't edit it.

As for converting MP3 (audio) back to MIDI (notes), that is virtually impossible.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXTX View Post
NNXT doesn't work with MIDI files. NNXT works with samples (either .WAV or .AIFF). If you convert your MP3 to a WAV, you can play the whole track back in an NNXT, but you can't edit it.

As for converting MP3 (audio) back to MIDI (notes), that is virtually impossible.
Thanks for the info! Luckily, I have a WAVE file version of the song but it doesnt show up when I bring up NNXT...should it not be where the open folder button is located?

Once again, thanks for the assistance!
Old 2013-01-14, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post
Thanks for the info! Luckily, I have a WAVE file version of the song but it doesnt show up when I bring up NNXT...should it not be where the open folder button is located?

You can import audiofiles into Reason and Record by making a new lane [ALT + T] then choosing [ CTRL + SHIFT + I ] to import audio files on that lane. Goodluck!
Old 2013-01-14, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post

Make sure you are using the "Browse Sample" button and not the "Browse Patch" button.
Old 2013-01-14, 18:37

Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) by PG Music contains an applet called the Automatic Chord Wizard (ACW) which does a pretty good job of extracting chords from audio files and translating them to MIDI. You can get more information at http://www.pgmusic.com/index.html. BIAB isn't cheap, but there is a holiday sale which extends through tomorrow. The "Pro" package at $129 is all you would need for your purpose. Whether or not it's worth depends on how much you value your song. Good luck with your quest.

Richard
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA

Last edited by ryszard; 2013-01-14 at 18:39. Reason: Add information