Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-17, 18:52

Lightbulb Electronic drugs the future?

Hi all, Im 34 years old, and have been listening to rave and dance music for over 20years now and have been making music on and off in that time too. I had a brain wave the other day when I heard of a technology called tdcs or tms which is a brain magnetic stimulation that is a device that you put on your head and it can induce different highs to the mind, some report euphoria, caffeine six times stronger or being on amphetimines, at the moment it is used for to treat depression, addictions to chemical drugs and alcohol and can treat pain all through an electronic device! So the brainwave I had was what if we could add this to music and have an ecstacy effect while listening to some banging rave techno, what if we had a device we could sequence different highs at different times to our music, we wouldn't be just sequencing sound but sequencing our emotions and highs too! This would be a discovery better than the electric synth or sub bass! This would add flavour to music don't you think? I think this would be the future! Opinions please?
Old 2013-01-18, 00:01
LondonSoundMan

Ummm this sort of thing worrys me.... maybe becuase i've seen what ''other'' things do to people / myself or maybe due to having kids but i am not keen on messing around with brain waves to be fair.

Long term what happens ? How far can you take this .... ie could fantasy's become real ?
Old 2013-01-18, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonSoundMan View Post
ie could fantasy's become real ?
Yep, they can. :-)
Old 2013-01-18, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomarkh View Post
This would add flavour to music don't you think?
Would probably make the drugs moar awesome aswell. :P
Old 2013-01-18, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb523 View Post
Would probably make the drugs moar awesome aswell. :P
Drugs ain't good. ;P
Old 2013-01-18, 02:59

different frequencies already promote different emotional reactions in people.

music is already scientifically known to trigger certain reactions in the brain (eg. dopamine and seratonin receptors). although a lot of how we interpret music is culturally dependent, there are certain elements of music which are hardwired into our brains (such as our interpretation and appreciation of rhythm).

not talking mumbo jumbo but music already causes an emotional reaction in people. that is one of the main characteristics of which constitutes quality (according to a lot of critics anyway).

I can listen to a single sound from Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe or Streets of Rage and I am instantly enveloped by a wave of nostalgia.

but basically you would want to artificially "force" certain emotional reactions onto people whilst they are listening to music (you could argue that the majority of EDM is already based on this premise as nearly every single genre revolves around the partaking of one particular substance, which accordingly affects the music).

in that scenario the "drug" (or artificial high) becomes the main attraction and the music is simply background noise.
Old 2013-01-18, 03:06

I love drugs! But as stated earlier it doesn't really work with making music. I like to smoke a joint when i'm composing but that's it. Any other stuff will render you unable to do something useful
Old 2013-01-18, 09:51

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
I love drugs! But as stated earlier it doesn't really work with making music. I like to smoke a joint when i'm composing but that's it. Any other stuff will render you unable to do something useful
well in terms of producing quality music that might be true, however LSD and instruments are a very very neat combination
Old 2013-01-18, 12:49

the beatles wrote a lot of their stuff on LSD.

However I agree with a previous comment - drugs are bad especially if youre doing them a lot. Nothing wrong with experimenting but dont make it a habit you rely on.
Old 2013-01-18, 13:06

Sonic manipulation of brain waves and the consciousness is already a technique thats been practiced for many years now and is used in many different areas, there is even sonic weapons out there for crowd control and various other applications. So it's very much already a reality, it could easily be put into music and some music does have it. Naturaly all music has certain triggering affects on the mind.