Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-13, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynebiau View Post

If you're really not sure what you like yet though, and you want to explore a lot of different sounds, you might also check out some Refills in addition to Rack Extensions. Stuff like Fairlight Platinum (or even one of the smaller and cheaper versions you can find on the same site) for example. It's based on the Fairlight synths, but there's a wide variety of patches there, and there are also samples from a bunch of other instruments, including the DX7 (which the PX7 is based on).

If you like the sounds you hear from either the DX7 or PX7 then give it a try for yourself.
I second this suggestion in regard to the Fairlight Platinum Refill,as I was considering the PX7,but when I discovered this Refill,my decision was made clear on what to get,because the audio/video demos are insane,as well as the amount of content in this beast!

My advice....if you're a tweeker who likes to build sounds from scratch,you've already got that area covered with Reason's factory synth engines and with the Fairlight Platinum Refill,you would have not only Fairlight & DX7 sounds,but also Roland,Oberhiem,Prophet & other killer synth sounds.
I have no idea if the PX7 is for you,but I promise you that the Fairlight Platinum Refill is for you and really,ANY Reason owner.

Whether or not you decide to add the PX7,the Refill is an absolute must have-in fact,I'd stake my life on it,that you'll LOVE this Refill.

Check it out for yourself; http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/refills/platinum/
Old 2013-01-13, 18:40

Either you love that FM sound or you dont..personally if you are looking for a synth out of the ones available I'd go for Antitode especially if you are new to synths...
Its easy to understand but very very powerful.
I've been using synths for years and I find the PX difficult to use and the FM sound not that appealing.
Good luck
Old 2013-01-14, 00:19

I think the PX7 is easy to use, it's a good synth to have in reason depending on your tastes.
Understanding the theory of it is the first step, so read the manual, then get the trial and you'll be able to just jump straight in with it.
I love this synth because it offers something new to reason and it sounds awesome
Old 2013-01-17, 13:46

Maybe a whole bundle of sounds from old DX7 will do the trick?
The most common myth was that it was beyond normal people to make any sounds of their own. It is true that a lot of people never ventured much further into FM Synthesis than the stock voices from whichever distributor your synth originated. Much did depend on which side of the Atlantic you lived as well because of who created the original voice bands.
So, how about blowing a myth into smithereens? That's easy enough done.

I've been working on converting more DX voices than you can ever imagine using. Also, I've worked through knocking out as many duplications as I've found. To round this off, I've taken out any NULL voice patches, replacing them with patches from elsewhere and making the number of voices the same in each bank. (The maximum is 32, like the old DX7 had.)

I suggest looking for my post, about to go onto this form, with links to EIGHT REFILLS. Most have 50 banks, each with 32 voices. Try doing the math. That's approximately 400 banks, with approximately 12,500 voices. Does that sound like enough?
Old 2013-01-17, 15:57

i will buy it if the props get the automation to 90% !

and if you dont like 9 of 10 presets..
you have round about 1.000 good presets left..
and the presets are for free...
so what ?

i´m still waiting for an update on this synth.
Old 2013-01-17, 20:55

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
i will buy it if the props get the automation to 90% !
i´m still waiting for an update on this synth.
Yes i agree, theres also a bug on the PX7, when you set your sequencer to loop, the PX7 only activates once, instead of looping the signal?

A quick fix for this is to shorten your midi tracks but this is very annoying to say the least.

Apart from that, the synth is actually REALLY good.

Try then buy if you like, theres a refill with over 6000 presets for it already.

Regards.
Old 2013-01-17, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerfire View Post

Apart from that, the synth is actually REALLY good.

it´s a magical machine <3
i dont spend much time with the RE 30days trail .. only 3-4 days..
just a hobby Music Tourist in making Music sorry.., but i had an original dx7 for 3 years..
if every bit Sound the same..?? i don´t know..
but for me it is the same Sound aesthetics, arithmetic, vipe, metallic influence,
it is hard to explain..
Old 2013-01-17, 22:30

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
it´s a magical machine <3
i dont spend much time with the RE 30days trail .. only 3-4 days..
just a hobby Music Tourist in making Music sorry.., but i had an original dx7 for 3 years..
if every bit Sound the same..?? i don´t know..
but for me it is the same Sound aesthetics, arithmetic, vipe, metallic influence,
it is hard to explain..
Yes i bought it with out trying it, im really impressed with the synth apart from the bugs and reduced automation.