Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-16, 09:08

Reason Live… or something similar

I am a bit sick of using Ableton Live for my live performances. It has lost all its appeal because I find it clunky and it’s no fun anymore if you don’t create your music in Ableton. So I was thinking of switching to Reason, which I use for my production exclusively, getting exited… and then it struck me again… so obvious but it dimmed my enthusiasm big time… dongle… online verification… damn! Seriously, I don’t want to bring my one and only Reason dongle to a gig. It’s just not going to happen, period!

So, I was thinking, could there not be a slimmed down Reason-Live version that would require no dongle. This basic Reason-Live version would only be available if you purchased the full Reason version, however as a “side-program” would not require the Dongle or online verification. It would require obviously some form of verification but entirely offline based (like three validation questions/answers, code, username and password, etc.) and if Reason is not installed it would not work at all because it would not even be there.

Again, I know lots of people use Reason for performing live, fair enough and probably a lot of fun, but to lose the dongle in a nightclub or get it broken off by drunk people, no thank you!
Old 2013-01-16, 23:14

I've actually on many occasions simply plugged in the key, loaded reason and then took it out and put it back in my gig bag.

Website
Old 2013-01-16, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
I've actually on many occasions simply plugged in the key, loaded reason and then took it out and put it back in my gig bag.
that sounds like disaster just waiting to happen.
Old 2013-01-17, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
that sounds like disaster just waiting to happen.
So does taking a laptop to a night club. Actually, a replacement dongle is cheaper than a lot of hardware I've gigged with.
Old 2013-01-17, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunastationnadj View Post
So does taking a laptop to a night club. Actually, a replacement dongle is cheaper than a lot of hardware I've gigged with.
actually i was thinking, more like, getting there and your laptop crashes, or has to reboot, or you accidentally quit reason, and there's no internet.
Old 2013-01-17, 05:12

Ok so maybe the gig bag is too far away for some people. in that case put in your pocket or on your key ring with your house keys or something. But the only danger is bringing the laptop itself, so since it's there, plugging in the the key and removing it afterwards is a quite sensible option imho. You won't have to worry about someone breaking it off, and I actually find it hard to press cmd Q or even cmd W by accident at a gig, so quitting reason by accident is not an issue for me

Website
Old 2013-01-17, 18:35

Actually the laptop I'm using for gigging is a very robust old Toshiba, that one can really handle vibrations, dirt, dampness, spilled beer and who knows, and its 5 years old now, nunning like a race horse So since its not my production laptop, I in fact (as stupid as it sounds) am more worried about the Reason dongle being lost or broken at a gig than the laptop. I just think, such a small little device and if its gone, it's using Reason only online till a replacement arrives god knows when/if. I probably will eventually try to gig with Reason, simply because its such a cool live software at this stage and Ableton is shite in my eyes but I really don't like bringing the dongle to a venue...
Old 2013-01-18, 08:36

only used Reason once at a gig. brought my dongle, the dongle was my main concern so had it stashed away in my backpack after setting everything up. wished Reason 6 didnt have to do this though lol.

on Ableton do u just export Reason stems and trigger loops off ableton?
Old 2013-01-19, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRealest View Post
only used Reason once at a gig. brought my dongle, the dongle was my main concern so had it stashed away in my backpack after setting everything up. wished Reason 6 didnt have to do this though lol.

on Ableton do u just export Reason stems and trigger loops off ableton?
Yep, that sums it up pretty much how I feel about it. And yep, using stems or even entire songs but it just doesn't feel right anymore, would love to go real live!