Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-20, 00:53
bkusnierz

Proffesional Sounding Drums Help

Hey All,

My drums are a fairly mediocre and it really distracts from my music. I am looking for a way to get punchy drums used in things like Prog House. Essentially I'm looking for a way to get really great punchy drums, any help?

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnwfTHpnGLY

On a final note, a professional sounding house beat would also be very beneficial to my learning

Thank You!
Old 2013-01-20, 01:21

There are a few ways that you can go about it, but it depends on the sounds you are using. If you are just using one kick sample, for example, you can use parallel compression. Put the sound on 2 (even 3 channels). The main one, bring out the lower frequencies, on another one, bring out the mid to highs (filter out the extreme lows) and you can even try a 3rd channel and squash it with compression then blend all channels to taste. What I like to do is usually stack different kicks with different characters (one for the lows, another one for a tight mid range sound, etc. And remember, too much compression will make drums sound small.
Old 2013-01-20, 01:45
bkusnierz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbragz View Post
There are a few ways that you can go about it, but it depends on the sounds you are using. If you are just using one kick sample, for example, you can use parallel compression. Put the sound on 2 (even 3 channels). The main one, bring out the lower frequencies, on another one, bring out the mid to highs (filter out the extreme lows) and you can even try a 3rd channel and squash it with compression then blend all channels to taste. What I like to do is usually stack different kicks with different characters (one for the lows, another one for a tight mid range sound, etc. And remember, too much compression will make drums sound small.
Thanks so much!
I found a helpful tutorial for anyone with a similar question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dHHIIpGQhs