Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-18, 08:26

Mixing Analog with Digital

OK. I just purchased my first true analog synth. I've solely used Reason for all parts of my production for the past 12 years. Now I'm trying to integrate my outboard synth into my tracks in Reason. I am having a hard time sitting it in the mix properly. Of course, I know it's just a matter of mixing, eq's, compression, etc...but if you guys have any suggestions it would be welcome. I've had some success after adding Reasons send effects and such, which brings it together fairly nice but I know there's some more technically sound producers on here with some advice.

Thanks.
One Love
Old 2013-01-19, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccain View Post
OK. I just purchased my first true analog synth. I've solely used Reason for all parts of my production for the past 12 years. Now I'm trying to integrate my outboard synth into my tracks in Reason. I am having a hard time sitting it in the mix properly. Of course, I know it's just a matter of mixing, eq's, compression, etc...but if you guys have any suggestions it would be welcome. I've had some success after adding Reasons send effects and such, which brings it together fairly nice but I know there's some more technically sound producers on here with some advice.

Thanks.
One Love
Firstly congratulations
What is it, by the way?

I'm not a technically sound producer, but I'm in the same boat as you.. here's some thoughts:

- As much as you really, really don't want to, you have to EQ your nice fat full analog synth! We all go through the stage of wanting to showcase our new toy, so it ends up being a bit loud in the mix, and we don't want to bastardise the sound by doing things like cutting out it's bottom end - after all that's why we got an analog synth right? You just have to be as ruthless in the EQ as you would plan to be with a soft synth or Refill. Print out the following line and put it on your synth.

- Use reverb and echo to help make it sit better. Maybe you're mixing it too dry and it's too forward or too loud?

- Until you get more proficient, just use it for harmonies, quiet embellishments and doubling up soft synths. then over time you can make it feature more when you get more experienced in making it fit.

cheers
Raymond
Old 2013-01-20, 08:59

Thanks for the input. It's an Arturia mini brute. I just ordered an oberheim two voice pro as well. Should be here soon.