Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-21, 22:52

I know. I never use presets. Except those included in Softubes A-range Trident Eq. Some of those I find useful.
Old 2013-01-22, 00:22

Hi, I'm a bit of an old school sound engineer and apart from a year course in tertiary education everything I learnt was on the job.
To echo the sentiment of a number of the posts here the best thing with any effect or processor is to learn the very basics, ie. what each knob does, and then just fiddle until you get something you like. If you rely on other people telling you what settings sound good, you're never going to create something new or different.

however, if you just want a big pumping drum sound like the over compressed 90's sounds then go for a compressor over the full kit with quick attack and mid to slow release, a 4:1 or 2:1 ratio and mess with the input and output gains.

enjoy.
Old 2013-01-22, 09:44

Another thread where the OP disappears after asking his question I'll put in my own 2 cent regardless.

I put a compressor on every single channel except if only two/three sounds play at the same time (and there's no base heavy sound playing), then there's no need. But whenever more tracks are involved, the many compressors remove unnecessary peaks in the mix. And I don't usually use compression on pads, more on shorter or transient rich sounds.

Saying that, all the compressor settings should be adjusted to what the material is asking for. Longer attack and short release on percussion, medium attack and release on vocals (however that is always a rather difficult area, there are no rights or wrongs really), fast attack on longer synth sounds and baselines with a moderate release etc.

And if you go down the route of using compression on every channel, use the effect rather sparingly on each except if it really sounds better full on.

As for the compression effect itself, what you need to realize is, that a fast attack can "eat" the start of your sound and a longer release on repeated sounds and vocals can also "eat" transients that would be needed to give it definition. I would really recommend taking up a book dedicated to mixing/compression to understand a compressor because unlike an EQ, a compressor usually works best when you don't hear it's effect, so it’s very hard to judge if/what you do wrong if you don't know what you want to achieve with it and how to go about it.