Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-23, 01:39

Possible to change file location of Rack Extension?

Hi all,

I'm just curious if it's possible to change the file location of the Rack Extensions. As far as I can see, everything is stored inside my user profile folder (AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions) but as I use a seperate HDD for all my music stuff, I'd like to keep everything at one place. Is this possible? I haven't found anything about this specific topic yet.
Old 2013-01-23, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotiger View Post
Hi all,

I'm just curious if it's possible to change the file location of the Rack Extensions. As far as I can see, everything is stored inside my user profile folder (AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions) but as I use a seperate HDD for all my music stuff, I'd like to keep everything at one place. Is this possible? I haven't found anything about this specific topic yet.
Why don't you try it, leaving a shortcut for the RackExtensions folder.

... not sure what will happen the next time you try to add an extension ...

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2013-01-23, 01:47

Nope. Doesn't seem to like this concept.

Now, hopefully I haven't hosed my installation.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2013-01-23, 01:47

Well, that sounds more like a will-break-everything type of workaround - if it works at all
I was looking for maybe a single setting or config file where I just can replace the path to the rack extensions directory. Something like this. If this is not supported, it comes right after MIDI out on my feature request list.

Edit: Thanks for trying it out.
Old 2013-01-23, 01:48

Back to normal.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2013-01-23, 02:03

At least it's not broken. So no need for me to check it myself if that workaround works. I don't know how the situation is at the moment but if there are REs which larger sample libraries for example, that folder will grow pretty quick. And I don't have enough free space on my system HDD for growing sample libraries, that's what my second HDD is for.
Old 2013-01-23, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotiger View Post
At least it's not broken. So no need for me to check it myself if that workaround works. I don't know how the situation is at the moment but if there are REs which larger sample libraries for example, that folder will grow pretty quick. And I don't have enough free space on my system HDD for growing sample libraries, that's what my second HDD is for.
I reckon whatever internal routines handle the Rack Extension licensing scheme have some hardcoded paths. Not that it necessarily has to be that way ... but that's the way it appears to be for now.

Ye Olde FishCAM

Last edited by jkheal; 2013-01-23 at 02:39.
Old 2013-01-23, 02:11

BTW, I have six Rack Extensions which occupy about 60MB. The Default and Orchestra sound banks on the other hand occupy over 2GB, and you can move those (leaving shortcuts in place). I'm set up that way right now.

EDIT: Another benefit of moving the PH sound banks out of the Reason folder: you don't have to worry about overwriting them when you install updates.

Ye Olde FishCAM

Last edited by jkheal; 2013-01-23 at 02:17.
Old 2013-01-23, 02:55

Did you install reason on that HDD? if not, why worry about where the rack extensions are installed - they're part of the software.

EDIT: This probably isn't what you want, but I did a little research and found this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-location.html

You can change/move the location of your users folder, but it's all or nothing -- you can't select to move just the files for a single application.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2013-01-23 at 03:21.
Old 2013-01-23, 09:48

Yes, I installed Reason on that HDD but like I said before, REs are not stored inside this folder but inside a hidden directory in my user profile. And moving my whole user profile to the other HDD isn't what I want either. Maybe I should open a thread in the feature request forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkheal View Post
BTW, I have six Rack Extensions which occupy about 60MB. The Default and Orchestra sound banks on the other hand occupy over 2GB, and you can move those (leaving shortcuts in place). I'm set up that way right now.

EDIT: Another benefit of moving the PH sound banks out of the Reason folder: you don't have to worry about overwriting them when you install updates.
Ok, 60 MB is not that much actually. I was just curious if it's possible to move that folder in case I have REs much larger than that. My ReFills are on the separate HDD already, about 2 GB + Factory Soundbanks. That would be the kind of size I don't want to have inside my user profile ^^

Last edited by turbotiger; 2013-01-23 at 11:09.