Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-01-18, 17:57

Smile States of Music - Memory refill

I can't believe how much I'm loving the States of Music - Memory refill! I don't normally gush in the forums, and I'm in no way associated with the seller, but this is the refill I've been waiting for. It's definitely not for everyone but if you love old weirdo synthesizers I wouldn't hesitate in buying it. I would have paid full price for almost any one of the 12 patch banks alone. It's a great demonstration of how creative and deep you can go in Reason's native synths.

The programming is amazing and each patch is well realized. Every Combinator is extremely versatile and offers a big variety of sounds with just a little knob turning. (How great is a knob named "You Broke It"?)

It's like having a big box of unusual thrift store gear. I hear influences of old Casio and Yamaha keyboards (Casio CZ in particular), cheezy home organs run through strange guitar pedals, the Pocket Piano, vintage Atari and Nintendo games, broken electronic toys, and tons of funny Moog voices. The pads are all atypical and imaginative, with some Boards of Canada style haziness. There's a LOT of character here.

I can't wait to start making songs with this!

[Gushing over.]

Last edited by twink; 2013-01-18 at 20:29.
Old 2013-01-18, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twink View Post
I can't believe how much I'm loving the States of Music - Memory refill! I don't normally gush in the forums, and I'm in no associated with the seller, but this is the refill I've been waiting for. It's definitely not for everyone but if you love old weirdo synthesizers I wouldn't hesitate in buying it. I would have paid full price for almost any one of the 12 patch banks alone. It's a great demonstration of how creative and deep you can go in Reason's native synths.

The programming is amazing and each patch is well realized. Every Combinator is extremely versatile and offers a big variety of sounds with just a little knob turning. (How great is a knob named "You Broke It"?)

It's like having a big box of unusual thrift store gear. I hear influences of old Casio and Yamaha keyboards (Casio CZ in particular), cheezy home organs run through strange guitar pedals, the Pocket Piano, vintage Atari and Nintendo games, broken electronic toys, and tons of funny Moog voices. The pads are all atypical and imaginative, with some Boards of Canada style haziness. There's a LOT of character here.

I can't wait to start making songs with this!

[Gushing over.]
An endorsement is only as good as the reputation of the endorser. And you sir, I hold in very high esteem. I will check out the refill immediately.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-01-18, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrace View Post
An endorsement is only as good as the reputation of the endorser.
Ha, thanks. As long as I'm in pitch mode let me say eXode's Dubstep Bass & Synth refill is also rather nifty and surprisingly versatile beyond the genre suggested by its name. It's another tweakable set capable of conjuring weird and wonky sounds that I think will work well with the Memory refill.
Old 2013-01-24, 00:01

I couldnt get it too work... ive tried loading it in as instruments and effects and nothing works the only things that work are 2 scream files and thats it.. im quite sour about it. its my first refill buy and im on a mac and have version 6.. cant figure out who to call or what to do. ive tried loading it into nn19 and nxt. when i look in the folder it doesnt show what kind of files they are so i cant tell what im suppose to use to open them..

if anyone can help thatd be great. im sorta new to this refill thing.

Thank you,
Confused reason user.
Old 2013-01-24, 00:33

I'd hazzard a guess that most of these patches are combinators.
Try browsing by the 'create instrument' method and navigate to the refill to see what the refill actually consists of.
Old 2013-01-24, 01:54

thanks for the reply.

Yes thats a good idea, ive tried it for other refills but this one still wont give up the goods. I create instrument open the file memory, then go to bass or effects or anything folder within and open it to a blank folder?? its weird ive tried making a combinator and using the folder button and nothing. this goes for create effect aswell.. its quite frustrating to appear to have basically paid for nothing..
Old 2013-01-24, 02:38

Hmm, I haven't had any problem.

1. I go to the Create menu and choose "Create Instrument".

2. In the file browser I find the refill and navigate to a folder, like "Bass".

3. Inside the folder I see Combinator patches, like "Audio Punch.cmb".

4. I choose a patch, click OK, and it's in my rack.

Alternately I can create a new Combinator (Create > Utilities > Combinator) and load a patch as above by clicking the folder "Browse Patch" icon.

Do these steps not work on your machine? Are you trying a different method to load patches? I can understand the agony of paying for stuff you can't use right away and hope it's figured out soon.

- - - - -

Edit: I read your post again and it seems like you're doing the right steps. Maybe the refill is corrupted and you should download it again from your account if possible.

Last edited by twink; 2013-01-24 at 02:41.
Old 2013-01-24, 23:24

Ive Found the problem! i upgraded to version 6.5.3 and I was able to see the patches and .cmb files!
Thanks for your support and time! you guys rock!

best regards,
Nicshiz