Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-21, 01:51

Have you considered mixing on headphones on one of these?
http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audi...rfaces/vrm-box

I do and I love it. It really sounds like mixing on speakers in a treaded room. I'm confused as to why this technology isn't used more widely.

I'm not a Focuriste Rep btw. I'd love to see some competition on this market.

Last edited by BoddAH; 2013-01-21 at 02:01.
Old 2013-01-21, 02:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
I doubt you have a faulty unit. All audio interfaces have the same headroom if I'm correct. They can only go to 0db full scale anything over that and your clipping. The problem is you probably don't know how to leave headroom when your mixing. Try adjusting the VU offset so the 0VU is equal to -16 peak (or even 0VU to -20 peak if you have a real hard time leaving head room) what this will do is make your ssl channels go into the red (even though there will be no clipping) faster, this helped me out alot. You probably turn all your faders up too high when you should probably turn them all down and turn your monitors up.
The problem isn't getting headroom in my mixes (I always try and aim for at least -6db on my master output), the problem is I can't turn my sound card volume up any louder to compensate for the lost volume, the headphone output volume is already on max. The Sapphire 6 headphone output volume is definitely a bit on the quiet side.

Haven't seen that VRM box I will definitely check it out!
Old 2013-01-21, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRicketts View Post
I always try and aim for at least -6db on my master output
-6db what? VU or Peak? I think IMO I like to shoot for -14 RMS or -12 RMS. The k-metering system (k14 or k12) is what I like to use when mixing.

That sucks about your headphones. I own the focusrite 2i2 and I've never had a problem with the headphone volume.
Old 2013-01-21, 03:51

Sorry -6db VU. Basically I try not to have any channels go in the red, and my master signal's usually well below clipping. The control room out does an OK job of making up the volume for the time being, just would be nice to be able to turn my soundcard up instead.

I've seen good reviews about the new range of Focusrite's, I'm gonna go check them out.
Old 2013-01-21, 04:01

Quote:
Sorry -6db VU. Basically I try not to have any channels go in the red, and my master signal's usually well below clipping. The control room out does an OK job of making up the volume for the time being, just would be nice to be able to turn my soundcard up instead.

I've seen good reviews about the new range of Focusrite's, I'm gonna go check them out.
-6VU after mastering or while mixing? -6vu while mixing seems like you wouldn't be leaving any headroom at all but then again it would all depend where you have your vu offset set to. I usuall have mine set to 0vu equals -16 peak (-16 peak is just about equal to -14RMS). I like mixing with the k14 system. As far as your ssl channels going into the red that doesn't make a difference because Reason has a 64bit mixing engin so it only matters if it clips at the final out put. Again the ssl channels are vu and not peak so depending where you have your vu offset to your channel could be going into the red but it not going past 0db full scale.

I'm still puzzed about why your having a headphone issue. You said your using the control room to make up for volume? I'm still not understanding why? Why don't you just use your headphone volume knob. I'm lost here sounds like something isn't right.
Old 2013-01-21, 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
-6VU after mastering or while mixing? -6vu while mixing seems like you wouldn't be leaving any headroom at all but then again it would all depend where you have your vu offset set to. I usuall have mine set to 0vu equals -16 peak (-16 peak is just about equal to -14RMS). I like mixing with the k14 system. As far as your ssl channels going into the red that doesn't make a difference because Reason has a 64bit mixing engin so it only matters if it clips at the final out put. Again the ssl channels are vu and not peak so depending where you have your vu offset to your channel could be going into the red but it not going past 0db full scale.

I'm still puzzed about why your having a headphone issue. You said your using the control room to make up for volume? I'm still not understanding why? Why don't you just use your headphone volume knob. I'm lost here sounds like something isn't right.
On snap I had no idea about this VU Offset function, how did I miss this?! Just checked I had it left in it's default position, how do I set this set up so I get the correct headroom? I also use the Flower Audio Loudness Meter on the master section, I usually have between -6db and -4db max peak on there when I've done my first mixdown, is this about right?

That's my problem, the headphone volume knob is already turned up to the max, and it's still no where near loud enough. I don't know what else I can do, all the setting in preferences are right, there's no software included with it to turn it up that way either.
Old 2013-01-21, 05:16

Quote:
On snap I had no idea about this VU Offset function, how did I miss this?! Just checked I had it left in it's default position, how do I set this set up so I get the correct headroom? I also use the Flower Audio Loudness Meter on the master section, I usually have between -6db and -4db max peak on there when I've done my first mixdown, is this about right?

That's my problem, the headphone volume knob is already turned up to the max, and it's still no where near loud enough. I don't know what else I can do, all the setting in preferences are right, there's no software included with it to turn it up that way either.
Depending on what k system I end up using determines how I setup my vu offset. I usually use the k14 metering system so I set the offset to 0vu equals -16peak (which equals 14-RMS). When I mix I shoot for -14rms (0vu on the master fader). This helps to me to save some of the dynamics. After the mix is done if I were to master the song (i don't master my tracks very often) I would shoot for a dynamic range of 10 or 8 depending how much of the dynamics I was to keep (i don't mix with any master chain enabled). Most commercial tracks have a rms level of 7 but then again the are in the loudness war trying to be louder then everyone else.

The vu offset doesn't do anything but help you keep an eye on headroom while mixing an it doesn't change how much head room you have. Every DAW cannot go past 0db full scale or you get clipping. When you move the vu offset you'll notice that the 0 moves on the ssl channels.
Old 2013-01-26, 18:56

It's all sorted now, went and auditioned a few monitors and came back with the Yamaha HS50's, got em home, absolutely love them already. Wish I'd had picked them up a long time ago!

Already picked out loads of holes in my mixes, a recurring theme was that the low end was eq'ed way too low, think this was because I was mixing in phones and couldn't tell where the low end was. Kept the the HD25s for referencing though and the Sapphire's working fine with the monitors. Headphone output is still quiet though, don't think I'll find out what's happened but doesn't matter now!

Cheers!
Old 2013-01-26, 19:13

Quote:
It's all sorted now, went and auditioned a few monitors and came back with the Yamaha HS50's, got em home, absolutely love them already. Wish I'd had picked them up a long time ago!

Already picked out loads of holes in my mixes, a recurring theme was that the low end was eq'ed way too low, think this was because I was mixing in phones and couldn't tell where the low end was. Kept the the HD25s for referencing though and the Sapphire's working fine with the monitors. Headphone output is still quiet though, don't think I'll find out what's happened but doesn't matter now!

Cheers!
Make sure you have a spl meter now. You have to monitor how loud you mix now not only to protect your ears but also because of the fletcher munson curve.
Old 2013-01-26, 19:24

Oh forgot to mention if you don't have any bass traps your still bound to have some issues mixing your low end if you don't "learn"your monitors. Take the time "learn"your monitors by becoming familiar with how a professional mix and mastered song sounds on those monitors.