Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-28, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Ok so this opens but you have used quite a few ReFills and so I miss half your sounds. Can't see any signs of compression but not unexpected as that sound is way from peaking. I swapped in some other sounds and nothing seems odd at all.

I think maybe you need to explain why you think that the sound is being compressed?

However I do think that maybe you are making things harder for yourself than necessary as you seem to have Combis and then be accessing instruments in the middle of them when it would make more sense just to access the Combi and let it do the work for you. Also I see you trying to EQ things and making some strange and doubled-up decisions betweein the Parametric and Hi/Lo Pass Filters.

I think you are right in that you don't really understand the flow of a signal. That said your notes are not bad. Overall this suggests the confusion you have expressed above so here's what I'd suggest: Have a look at the version of your track that I have posted...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6869239/House%20Demo.reason

It is really all your notes (my sounds/no samples) laid out and with a simpler, clearer take on the mix. I have also laid out a very simple arrangement.

Till it makes full sense to you it is best to only work in one place, Using Blocks and Song view at once is confusing. I personally prefer the Linear Song View which is what I have shown you here.

For now also ignore EQ etc and focus on getting songs, then you can start to EQ as you have a reason for your edits.

I have used simple synth sounds as that is my thing and it is better to focus on notes before sounds (even tho electronic music always appears the other way). Sure it ain't as Bangin' but it does show you are making a cute House piece (all good House is cute so don't be offended).

Ask if you want to understand more of what I have done here.

Benedict...oh man, I haven't even heard the reason file you sent, but I can't thank you enough for looking into this for me and creating a reason arrangement.

I opened up the reason file you sent, and it notified me that some reason extentions are missing... I said no problem. Once the file loaded, I hit play, but there's no sound. I'm guessing some of the sounds were not loaded because of the reason extentions. So i changed up some of the sounds (kong, bass, etc...), and hit play again...but no sound. I also had a look at the mixer to see if anything was muted...all good there. The sound does make it all the way to the master compressor as I see the meter jumping a little.

Any guidance? Seems like I get help on one thing, only to realize a few more things...But man, I'm kind of blown away that you made a whole arrangement from a few notes that I played. That's simply amazing.
Old 2013-01-29, 10:26

I wouldn't say a whole arrangement...

Odd, I will check the Save settings, I used all my own custom sounds so I thought they would carry over to you with no chance of being lost. I didn't think any had REs but it was getting late.

Will get back (after recording Edgar Froese "Stuntman")

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth
Old 2013-01-29, 11:44

Ok my bad as there were a couple of REs lurking in there and the Morphon Crossfader in the Master Combi would have killed it for you.

This should work just like a bought one now.

Old 2013-01-30, 00:17

Talking

Quote:
Ok my bad as there were a couple of REs lurking in there and the Morphon Crossfader in the Master Combi would have killed it for you.

This should work just like a bought one now.

1. I FINALLY figured out what was causing the compression which I was complaning about - and you guys couldn't hear. It's my HP laptop, and the Beats Audio (audio drivers) that are causing this problem. There's thousands of people complaning about it online. I submitted a request to HP - let's see if that Helps. Oh wait, I work at HP, i'm going to walk over to my tech support guys and see what they have to say.

2. Benedict - Really enjoyed your arrangements. I saw how you were breaking things up using the Marker track. That inspired me to start setting my sequencer into Song mode with 4/8/16 bars for each section of a song (Intro, Verse 1, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Verse 2, Bridge, Chorus, Chorus, Outro). This is actually pushing me to think beyond "Creating the perfect beat."

So based on this, I'm actually progressing in the song creation process.

3. I read what you had written regarding how I was setting up my synths and combi's. So now what I am doing - which I believe you were telling me is:
a) Create a instrument/synth
b) Create FX
c) Create FX (if required)
d) repeat b-c as required

This way, I still have my main instrument sitting at the top of the chain, and I can add as many FX's as I like. And I have to say, I love these pre-created FX's. Oh man, lets you really focus on making music rather than trying to get the sound to be fat etc... Specially helps cause now I don't need to be a sound engineer, rather focus on making songs.

Okay - enough for now.

Now time to open up the Demo songs and study what they are doing
Old 2013-01-30, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren55 View Post
1. I FINALLY figured out what was causing the compression which I was complaning about - and you guys couldn't hear. It's my HP laptop, and the Beats Audio (audio drivers) that are causing this problem. There's thousands of people complaning about it online. I submitted a request to HP - let's see if that Helps. Oh wait, I work at HP, i'm going to walk over to my tech support guys and see what they have to say.

2. Benedict - Really enjoyed your arrangements. I saw how you were breaking things up using the Marker track. That inspired me to start setting my sequencer into Song mode with 4/8/16 bars for each section of a song (Intro, Verse 1, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Verse 2, Bridge, Chorus, Chorus, Outro). This is actually pushing me to think beyond "Creating the perfect beat."

So based on this, I'm actually progressing in the song creation process.

3. I read what you had written regarding how I was setting up my synths and combi's. So now what I am doing - which I believe you were telling me is:
a) Create a instrument/synth
b) Create FX
c) Create FX (if required)
d) repeat b-c as required

This way, I still have my main instrument sitting at the top of the chain, and I can add as many FX's as I like. And I have to say, I love these pre-created FX's. Oh man, lets you really focus on making music rather than trying to get the sound to be fat etc... Specially helps cause now I don't need to be a sound engineer, rather focus on making songs.

Okay - enough for now.

Now time to open up the Demo songs and study what they are doing
I think I see a lightbulb LOL

This is why it is never advised to use the audio hardware/software that come in the box as they are often colored. Fun maybe but usually doing more damage than good if you want a clean result.

You are on your way now I think. As you have more questions just ask.

Old 2013-01-30, 23:11

Quote:
I think I see a lightbulb LOL

This is why it is never advised to use the audio hardware/software that come in the box as they are often colored. Fun maybe but usually doing more damage than good if you want a clean result.

You are on your way now I think. As you have more questions just ask.

Thanks brother. Appreciate the help.
Actually the reason I had to use the out of box audio interface is because I'm trying to make music on my qwerty keyboard while at work.

Wife won't let me get on the computer much when I'm at home.