Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-01-29, 08:02

new to Reason! Wondering about midi controllers.

I'm considering picking up an Akai MPK88 controller! Anyone else using this controller with Reason? If so how do you like it? Does it map well to Reason 6.5? If I should look elsewhere for a controller, let me know why I shouldn't get the Akai MPK88! The reason for looking at the MPK88 is price point, has 88 keys (i'm looking for range), also has 16 mpc pads!!
Old 2013-01-29, 09:10

Great controller, works well with Reason. I recommend you try out the key action before you buy it if you can. Not everyone likes MPK88's fully-weighted piano-style keys.
Old 2013-01-29, 09:35

I got an M Audio Oxygen 25 key controller,this is fine for me,as I have no room,but as mentioned by RXTX the Akai is very good (wish I had one TBH, and the cash of course

But Ive managed ok for quite some time with a small keyboard,lol. , Also, worth a mention is these midi controllers I have bought

My Akai LPD8 for its drum pads,and knobs!! I like this a lot!!

But I don't do drums on it.Everything (or nearly everything else) Ha,ha ,FX ,mapping of DrOcotrex to the pads etc

I also have got a Korg PadKontrol and NanoKontrol 2 all of them come in very handy ,esp when using this to control your SSL mixer sliders and stuff,ha,ha

Last edited by Ambientdave; 2013-01-29 at 09:47.
Old 2013-01-29, 15:53

I'd say for keyboard, Axiom Pro 49 is awesome all rounder.

For MPC pads, the KORG padKontrol is awesome with its X/Y control pad.

For mixer hands on control, the Behringer BCF2000 with a few knobs and 8 motorized faders for a very ,very cheap price and if you want more knob control, try the BCR2000

Those 3 cover the basics you'll need to begin with and they are all solid and quite cheap.

You're Welcome ^_^

"Life is like a Rhythm; Flow with it and you'll be Fine" - Sid Mercutio 1979 - ?
Old 2013-01-29, 22:20

Hi,

For pads and sliders and transport I use a quneo , also an iPad with retouch reason has got nearly everything you could ask for.
I have an old Roland TD7 kit that works very well with reason and 3 keyboards from Alesis and Korg that just plugged. In and worked straight away.

DK
Old 2013-01-30, 18:18

I think the Akai MPK series is an awesome controller for Reason. To me 88 keys is overkill, plus I don't like the heavy weight feel, but I also hate the cheap feel of NO-weighted, hence, semi-weight is perfect for me.

Here's my look at the MPK61, if this helps at all:

Old 2013-01-30, 18:51

Wink

If you plan on using it mainly (only?) on Reason you should consider the Nektar Panorama P4.

I know it doesn't have 88 keys but the overall quality and tight, seamless integration with Reason (it's specially designed for Reason) makes it an awesome controller. I don't know your background but unless you're a concert pianist a 88 key, hammer-action MIDI controller is total overkill...

Also are you new to Reason or new to production in general? If you're just starting out, you could save yourself some headaches (and a lot of money) by getting a simpler controller like the M-Audio Oxygen 25, Korg Nano Series or Akai MPK Mini to get the basics. Some people even do fine without any controller at all. An when you grow out of it it's still a handy second controller or portable controller for your laptop setup.
Old 2013-01-30, 23:57

Thank You Everyone!! Your feedback has been very beneficial! Going to Guitar Center to scout for a controller! I think I'm down grading from 88 to a 61 key controller. Reading the comments and watching reviews on YouTube have helped tremendously. Alternating.bit, thank you for that great video demonstrating the Akai MPK 61, that sounds like a good fit for me, I'll give it a try while at Guitar Center tonight!

Thanks, to all...
Old 2013-01-31, 02:23

nektar duhh

I'm confused here. Why would anyone recommend anything other than nektar for reason? Seems like a bunch of bad advice going on here. Besides the guy recommending nektar.

Let the music speak for itself...

I think my music TALKS LOUDER THAN YOURS!!!
Old 2013-01-31, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus6 View Post
I'm confused here. Why would anyone recommend anything other than nektar for reason? Seems like a bunch of bad advice going on here. Besides the guy recommending nektar.
"bad advice" LOL... there's nothing wrong with offering a variety of choices. He was already set on getting an Akai MPK, I simply showed him my demo of how it works with Reason. While the Nektar is a more obvious fit, it doesn't mean everyone will like it. Personally I think its ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post
Alternating.bit, thank you for that great video demonstrating the Akai MPK 61, that sounds like a good fit for me, I'll give it a try while at Guitar Center tonight!

Thanks, to all...
You're very welcome - please keep us posted on your decision!